+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 382
  1. #111
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Life sentences are still far too harsh, that is no life - especially not in those vile SE asian prisons where they treat feral animals better than the inmates. They are a breach of human rights as well.

    It's been confirmed, they are being transferred this week for execution.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Ra Ra Superstar  (17-02-2015)

  3. #112
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I'

    The things that strike me most about this case though, are the double standards Indonesia is displaying, they are far more lenient on their own people than foreigners who do the same crimes. That leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

    .
    How do you know this? Any chance the differences in sentencing could be due to differences in evidence/proof etc?

  4. #113
    BH-KatiesMum's Avatar
    BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    22,404
    Thanks
    5,372
    Thanked
    5,811
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I am not in favour of the death penalty.

    I am though, in favour of life imprisonment - and the fact that they say they have been rehabilitated is fantastic, but I would not suggest they should be released.

    We need to keep in mind - these 2 are the ringleaders. The ones who threatened other people and their families in order to force them to participate, in this and other drug deals.

    My sympathy is fairly limited, and I do not think they should have a 'second chance'.

    There is a difference between making a mistake, and organising a drug run and bribing/forcing/threatening others to do it as well. That isnt a 'mistake because they are young and impressionable'

    BUT - neither do I think the death penalty is appropriate.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

    HollyGolightly81  (05-03-2015),PlayNice  (16-02-2015)

  6. #114
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    589
    Thanks
    464
    Thanked
    214
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    How do you know this? Any chance the differences in sentencing could be due to differences in evidence/proof etc?
    http://m.smh.com.au/world/death-for-...13-13dp7u.html

    Difference is likely that one set of judges got the bribes they wanted.

  7. #115
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    1,396
    Thanks
    601
    Thanked
    1,398
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Id just like to pop in one more time and say I dont really think being clean in prison is a reason to believe they are rehabilitated. If someone isnt clean in prison after 10 years then something is clearly wrong. It doesnt automatically mean they are changed men.

  8. #116
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    How do you know this? Any chance the differences in sentencing could be due to differences in evidence/proof etc?
    I read it, here is one link.

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-squad.html

    And the fact that they give lesser sentences to terrorists who murder large amounts of people that they do drug mules. It is all topsy turvy.
    Last edited by beebs; 16-02-2015 at 18:08.

  9. #117
    Busy-Bee's Avatar
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    11,183
    Thanks
    3,664
    Thanked
    4,704
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Meanwhile the suspected 'mastermind' lives a life of luxury.

    http://www.smh.com.au/national/suspe...11-13aypt.html

    So very wrong.

  10. #118
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    Id just like to pop in one more time and say I dont really think being clean in prison is a reason to believe they are rehabilitated. If someone isnt clean in prison after 10 years then something is clearly wrong. It doesnt automatically mean they are changed men.

    No, but all the things they are doing and have achieved in the last 10 years show that they are changed men. Also, considering you can access heroin in prisons there, but they aren't shows that they are also changed men.

  11. #119
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    1,396
    Thanks
    601
    Thanked
    1,398
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    No, but all the things they are doing and have achieved in the last 10 years show that they are changed men. Also, considering you can access heroin in prisons there, but they aren't shows that they are also changed men.
    And you think the lawyers didnt tell them to do these things to help their image? I dont buy it. Id be bored and take on extra curricular activities if i was sitting around for 10 years too.

  12. #120
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Drug runners are hardly ever the king pins or the masterminds of a drug operation, and usually they aren't the ones who get caught. Which, if we are to stop the drug smuggling trade, that is exactly who needs to be arrested and put in jail.

    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    I am not in favour of the death penalty.

    I am though, in favour of life imprisonment - and the fact that they say they have been rehabilitated is fantastic, but I would not suggest they should be released.

    We need to keep in mind - these 2 are the ringleaders. The ones who threatened other people and their families in order to force them to participate, in this and other drug deals.

    My sympathy is fairly limited, and I do not think they should have a 'second chance'.

    There is a difference between making a mistake, and organising a drug run and bribing/forcing/threatening others to do it as well. That isnt a 'mistake because they are young and impressionable'

    BUT - neither do I think the death penalty is appropriate.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    TimTamsandTea  (28-02-2015)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Bali
    By Myztiks#1Fan in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-01-2015, 11:50
  2. Bali
    By Moltone in forum Destination Suggestions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-06-2014, 15:10
  3. Discussing skin colour with 3 year old.
    By Ashram in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-04-2014, 19:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Babybee Prams
Save $50 in our pre-Christmas sale! All Comet's now only $500. Our bassinet & stroller set includes free shipping AUS wide, $75 free accessories, 18-months warranty & a 9 month free return policy. Check out our new designer range today!
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Billington Street
For stationery as unique as you are! ♥ Handmade, custom designed stationery for all of life's celebrations
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!