+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We've eaten loads of different brands of mixed berries in the past 2 mths, not all of which I can remember - I'm pretty sure we had Creative Gourmet. I was heavily pregnant & am BFing a newborn, just wondering whether despite not showing symptoms I should get tested anyway? Is it worse off for newborns as I know it's not really problematic for adults.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's so terrifying !! I have a pack of creative berries I was too lazy to use. So glad I didn't

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    The grossest thing about this is that Hepatitis A is transmitted via the faecal-oral route...which essentially means that someone/s involved in the handling of the berries has not washed their hands after taking a dump, and hence there are traces of faecal material in multiple packets of berries!!!

So...on this occasion, given the faecal contaminant was carrying the Hep A virus, we know about it. What about the other occasions when it has "just" been faeces, without the virus. Plenty of other microbes, but harder to trace.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by J37; 15-02-2015 at 17:54.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (15-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    The grossest thing about this is that Hepatitis A is transmitted via the faecal-oral route...which essentially means that someone/s involved in the handling of the berries has not washed their hands after taking a dump, and hence there are traces of faecal material in multiple packets of berries!!!

Eeeek!!! So does freezing not kill this virus?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (15-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

My thought it there must be a problem with the water processing plant that they use for washing the fruit.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

GreatSoutherner  (16-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Recall of Nanna's Frozen Berries

So...on this occasion, given the faecal contaminant was carrying the Hep A virus, we know about it. What about the other occasions when it has "just" been faeces, without the virus. Plenty of other microbes, but harder to trace.

To have enough "faecal load" to cause an outbreak, it's possible that contaminated water (untreated wastewater) was used for irrigation or in processing the berries. I think that's also a common route of transmission of parasites via uncooked food to humans. Fertilizer made from animal/human waste is another source.

I also squirmed thinking about what was missed before Hep A triggered investigation... E. coli, giardia, cryptosporidium....
    Last edited by clbj; 16-02-2015 at 02:17.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to clbj For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (15-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by yadot View Post
    Eek! This is horrible..

Probably a stupid question but can you just return a half empty box to Woolies with no receipt? Will they still refund your money?

Fingers crossed no more cases
    Yep, if they have been recalled they will refund your money without a receipt.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

yadot  (15-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Eeeek!!! So does freezing not kill this virus?
    No freezing would preserve the germs

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

babyla  (15-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm freaking out a little.. We use those berries almost daily. Dd eats them all the time and loves them straight from the freezer and ds has them on is yoghurt. : O

We only finished a pack of the mixed berries last week and we still have a pack of the strawberries only in the freezer.