+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Have you lost weight on The Paleo Diet?

Just wondering if anyone has lost weight by following The Paleo Diet? I'm concerned that I'm going to find it really difficult to cut out all dairy and grains, but my weight is out of control and I'm SO VERY depressed about it, so I need to do something. We're going to Hawaii in November and I HAVE to drop at least 10kg before we go. My husband followed The Paleo Diet a few years back and had success, but I was a total sceptic at the time. I'm now prepared to try it and he said he'll do it with me. I'm just interested in others' experiences. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Default Have you lost weight on The Paleo Diet?

I'm currently doing LCHF and loving it. It's similar, I believe though closer to Atkins. It stands for Low Carb Healthy Fat. Basically I aim for a ratio of 5% carbs, 20% protein and 75% fat. To begin with I couldn't get my fat that high but now I'm finding it easy. For the first time in 15 years of yo-yo dieting I don't feel like a slave to food. Cutting the carbs has been way easier than I expected given I was a food/carb addict with a binge eating disorder before!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

siansmum  (14-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have done just about every diet out there and I think all diets work if you follow them through. However cutting carbs and grains had some serious effects on my body and trying to add them back in took a lot of time and patience. I think if you cut something out you have to be prepared that your body will adapt and you will predominantly have to eat that way forever unless you go through the struggles of putting it back into the diet. I personally think that everything is different for everyone though. I think the most important thing is just stop placing pressure. If you slip up forgive yourself.

I have decades of disordered eating issues with binge eating and bulimia behind me. I am currently almost 50kg lighter than my weight 3 years ago. I had a lot of food issues to work on and now yeah I can eat whatever I want and I don't really gain excessive amounts of weight. To be honest i was eating loads of garbage because I could and wasn't gaining weight… That's why now I've started cutting out meat in a bid to control my mind consciously about what I consume. I am kind worried about the effect s on my body but I dunno I kind of feel like i need that conscious thought process.

Weight loss imo works with any diet but is more psychological than anything particularly with binge eating. It's not the food but the relationship with food and control. A lot of people develop eating disorders like binge eating because they feel out of control of things int heir life and that was me definitely.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trusty Chords For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (14-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    I hear you on that, @Trusty Chords. I never even knew that binge eating was disorder, I mean, don't get me wrong I knew it wasn't healthy! It wasn't until I casually mentioned to a friend (who has her own experience with eating disorders) that I was hiding Lindt wrappers under my pillow so DH wouldn't find them that she asked me if I had an eating disorder. I answered my standard reply "I love food too much to be anorexic and I don't like puking enough to be bulimic". Then she told me that binge eating was its own eating disorder. I Googled, read through the symptoms and it was me to a tee.

It's not simply about eating too much, it's doing stuff like opening a brand new jar of Nutella and eating it with a spoon. I felt sick from halfway through but I couldn't stop, not until the jar was finished. There are other examples, of course (like eating two frozen lasagnas in one sitting), but that was the one that I mentioned in the course of that conversation before the Lindt wrappers that gave her a huge hint.

I've lost weight in the past but I've never had a healthy relationship with food. I guess that's why I like LCHF so far, for the first time I'm not craving food, I'm not obsessing about food, I'm not looking for the next thing to cram into my mouth. It's just...nice. The weight loss is great, too but my mental state is so much better than anything else I've gotten out of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPhart6 View Post
    I hear you on that, @Trusty Chords. I never even knew that binge eating was disorder, I mean, don't get me wrong I knew it wasn't healthy! It wasn't until I casually mentioned to a friend (who has her own experience with eating disorders) that I was hiding Lindt wrappers under my pillow so DH wouldn't find them that she asked me if I had an eating disorder. I answered my standard reply "I love food too much to be anorexic and I don't like puking enough to be bulimic". Then she told me that binge eating was its own eating disorder. I Googled, read through the symptoms and it was me to a tee.

It's not simply about eating too much, it's doing stuff like opening a brand new jar of Nutella and eating it with a spoon. I felt sick from halfway through but I couldn't stop, not until the jar was finished. There are other examples, of course (like eating two frozen lasagnas in one sitting), but that was the one that I mentioned in the course of that conversation before the Lindt wrappers that gave her a huge hint.

I've lost weight in the past but I've never had a healthy relationship with food. I guess that's why I like LCHF so far, for the first time I'm not craving food, I'm not obsessing about food, I'm not looking for the next thing to cram into my mouth. It's just...nice. The weight loss is great, too but my mental state is so much better than anything else I've gotten out of it.
    It's really weird trying to explain binge eating to people who didn't have the problem. I used to do the same like hide in the cupboard eat packets of gravy, buy whole cheese cakes eat half in one day then throw the rest and the box in the bin before ex DP got home. It didn't really make it better he would be like dafuq you eat all the food in the house for can't you just control yourself… Errr no I think that's the point I couldn't. It only added to the shame when he did get angry at me and try to "teach" me how to eat normal.

After I lost a lot of the weight I became really disordered in my eating patterns and was a complete nut about health food. I acted like the biggest d*ckhead about food I mean I forced my my daughter to take stuff like quinoa salad to school in prep then couldn't understand why she would start to binge eat at parties. Because I was basically passing on my horrible food relationship to her making out that there are good and bad foods to punish yourself over.

I had to work for a really long time on my relationship with food to get where I am today. Part of it was understanding where my food issues came from. I have a chinese Mum who comes from a poor country and food to asian mums is very much related to love. She couldn't love me conventionally but she fed me instead until my weight got out of control as a child and then they started sending me to dieticians and trying to fix me. A lot of fat shaming went on and I can't blame my parents because they were only doing what they thought was right out of fear and protectiveness.

What I eventually worked out as well was that I had a very unhealthy relationship with my Mum. I felt very suffocated by her constant over protection and interference in my life. The only time she didn't hassle me was when I was eating. My Mum also is the kind of person who feels gratification cooking for people so it was like the only way I could get a long with my Mum and not have her angry at me for lashing out at being smothered.

I carried that on to my adult life so whenever someone annoyed the heck out of me I would just eat food to kind of sedate myself. The more stressed people made me the more I ate and then the more I gained and the worse I felt about myself considering how much fat shaming had effected me. It was just a vicious cycle of guilt and shame.

When I lost the weight though I kind of just transferred the avoiding my feelings to excessive exercise and being super controlling about food. It only really stopped when I started addressing the whole reason I was over eating and that was obviously because I really didn't have the nerve to tell people what i really felt especially if they were hurting or annoying me even unintentionally.

I lost a lot of friends when I just decided to just be who I am say what i feel and cut people out that made me feel like I was responsible for them. I really had to un train co dependant behaviour in myself and say look you are not responsible for other people you are responsible for yourself only. I still sometimes get anxiety attacks over it now that I don't really smoke, eat or over exercise but I've worked a lot on mindfulness and meditation to fix it. It has been a very hard 2 years of self criticism and improvement but the freedom I feel now was worth it.
    Last edited by Trusty Chords; 14-02-2015 at 23:29.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trusty Chords For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (24-02-2015),made2bAmummy  (26-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thank you so much for sharing. I'm so sorry that you had such a bad relationship with your mother growing up. Have things gotten better over the last two years? It's nice to talk to someone who understands binge eating. The totally out of control need to eat and then finish what you're eating. I would do very similar as you with throwing out food and wrappers. Aside from under my pillow/on my side of the bed, I'd hide wrappers in my car or throw them out in public bins so DH wouldn't see them when emptying the bins. That Nutella jar I ate? DH had bought it the day before so afterwards I went down the shop and bought a replacement so he would have no idea I'd done it.

When my friend told me about binge eating disorder, I told DH and confessed everything. I've made an active effort to stop hiding things from him since then. I haven't had as bad an experience since then, either but it's been hard.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPhart6 View Post
    Thank you so much for sharing. I'm so sorry that you had such a bad relationship with your mother growing up. Have things gotten better over the last two years? It's nice to talk to someone who understands binge eating. The totally out of control need to eat and then finish what you're eating. I would do very similar as you with throwing out food and wrappers. Aside from under my pillow/on my side of the bed, I'd hide wrappers in my car or throw them out in public bins so DH wouldn't see them when emptying the bins. That Nutella jar I ate? DH had bought it the day before so afterwards I went down the shop and bought a replacement so he would have no idea I'd done it.

When my friend told me about binge eating disorder, I told DH and confessed everything. I've made an active effort to stop hiding things from him since then. I haven't had as bad an experience since then, either but it's been hard.
    Thanks ummm look my Mum and I have always had an extremely volatile relationship mostly because we never understood the other and both of us were dealing with and dissociating from a lot of painful memories. There would be instances where I would get so angry at my Mum as an adult I would reduce to child like states scream and cry and her leave her house and never speak to her for months. My Mum still treats me like a child a lot and I just naturally revert to a child like state when I'm around her it's like I subliminally surrender.

The thing is my Mum is actually a loving beautiful caring person and the way she babies me or treats me like a child was more out of love and protection. Psychology is so weird like that you can trigger all these kind of subliminal behaviours in people and when you don't know hat the hecks going on it's confusing.

My Mum simply loved and cared for me too much in an intrusive way that it had long lasting effects on my personality as an adult. I can't form regular relationships with people now because I fear intimacy in case someone becomes too attached to me and stops me doing things I want to do. Basically there was no separation from My Mum she saw me as an extension of her self and a lot of my issues with anger and intimacy were a direct result of me trying to separate and be my own person. Still now my Mum has the ability to make me feel immense guilt if I don't do what she wants. But in saying that she doesn't do it with Malice it's just her own way of love and programming.

Now that I understand these things I have a really good relationship with her. I love my Mum and so now I understand that a lot of her behaviour is learnt and at her age hard to be undone I try to be the bigger person and no longer fight back about it. I accept and I just go along with her because I do love her a lot and don't like to upset her. However I can't be around her too much because it does have serious impacts on my state of mind.

But yeah sorry op for hijacking the thread… About the binge eating yeah it's such an issue of shame and guilt. I had to really re program the way I felt about food and I don't actually binge anymore. Haven't in maybe a couple of years. I read a lot about psychology and mind altering states and things like that. I'm amazingly fascinated by the CIA MK-Ultra study. I think a lot of understanding the mind gives you an insight into why you do these unconscious actions like binge eat.
    Last edited by Trusty Chords; 15-02-2015 at 06:59.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trusty Chords For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    According to my research, it's a particular favorite diet for men, who see the paleo diet as a logical and straight forward way to lose weight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well we started it last Monday and I lost 1.9kg in the first week. I'm loving it - lots of healthy eating and I feel great. Not looking at it as a diet, but a new way of eating for us. My pants are loose for the first time in months, so we're definitely going to stick with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by siansmum View Post
    Well we started it last Monday and I lost 1.9kg in the first week. I'm loving it - lots of healthy eating and I feel great. Not looking at it as a diet, but a new way of eating for us. My pants are loose for the first time in months, so we're definitely going to stick with it.
    What is your typical breakfast?