+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    @Busy-Bee how does he go with multi-step instructions? Is he better with visual reminders ie chores, daily timetable etc? Does he start to do one thing then switch to something else mid-task? How is short term memory? Have you had hearing checked?

ANSWER MY QUESTIONS!!! Sorry for the onslaught there :-)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Queen of Amazingtown View Post
    @Busy-Bee how does he go with multi-step instructions? Is he better with visual reminders ie chores, daily timetable etc? Does he start to do one thing then switch to something else mid-task? How is short term memory? Have you had hearing checked?

ANSWER MY QUESTIONS!!! Sorry for the onslaught there :-)
    Despite being quite bright he struggles with mult-step instructions if there is anything more than 2 and if the instructions were delivered in a rushed manner or if I haven't stopped and very explicitly given him the instructions.

Does he start to do something then get switched to something else? Ha ha, DH and I have joked (between ourselves) that he has the attention span of a brain-damaged gnat. (I know, I know, we are terrible parents!) I once walked past his room to find him sitting playing with his lego. He had his pj shirt half off but was distracted by lego (his pj shirt was over his head and one arm only.)

He's had his hearing tested twice, once when he was 2 and again in prep. It all came back fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    Despite being quite bright he struggles with mult-step instructions if there is anything more than 2 and if the instructions were delivered in a rushed manner or if I haven't stopped and very explicitly given him the instructions.

Does he start to do something then get switched to something else? Ha ha, DH and I have joked (between ourselves) that he has the attention span of a brain-damaged gnat. (I know, I know, we are terrible parents!) I once walked past his room to find him sitting playing with his lego. He had his pj shirt half off but was distracted by lego (his pj shirt was over his head and one arm only.)

He's had his hearing tested twice, once when he was 2 and again in prep. It all came back fine.
    Has he seen a pead?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Ok. He sounds a lot like my APD student (but these 'symptoms' can also be linked to ASD). Have you tried any visual stuff with him with any success?

By the way - the Lego story is fricking hilarious :-)

Not sure if it works the same way in QLD, but I would ask his teacher if they can make a referral. Here our support services are so bad that it averages a year before anyone is seen within the school system. If you have the money, you could even have a private assessment done.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (14-02-2015)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    Has he seen a pead?
    Not for a while but he saw one every 6 months from the age of 4 until he was 5.5 as there was a possibility he was ASD. ASD has since been taken off the table since he started school and has thrived at school. He excels at school, is in the top reading group, top 4 for maths and top science student in year 1 last year. He also gets excellent behaviour report cards. He's a very friendly yet sensitive boy who would think that playing in the back yard with friends, having a picnic and using the slip 'n' slide would constitute heaven.
    @Awesome Queen of Amazingtown - What do you mean by visual stuff?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Was the term 'stuff' not clear enough for you?!

Like, if you had a step by step morning procedure on the fridge for example, with pictures for each step ie breakfast, get dressed, teeth, pack school bag or whatever he needs to do? Or do they have a visual timetable in his class so he can get himself organised?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The teacher in 4yr old kindy arranged a meeting with dh and I raising concerns about ds1 in which we followed through with OT. Then his teacher raised concerns with us in pre primary, her thoughts were that he may have had APD. Again we had all sorts of investigations done etc through OT. By the end of year 1 he ended up being above average with everything. Turned out he just needed a little extra help. I am glad the teachers raised their concerns with us early though. A friend on his class has APD which was picked up in year 1. A few other friends kids have issues the teacher has picked up on too.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 14-02-2015 at 23:08.