+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Preparing for baby, waging clothes/items

Hi

Would someone please help me out with what to clean baby's cot change table etc and her clothes before she arrives?

I was hoping to avoid chemicals etc

Also, just in general, have you found a good gentle washing powder/liquid? I haven't had to worry about delicate skin for a long time.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    *washing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    All my furniture got a wipe down with warm soapy water (just a bit of dishwashing liquid) and I use normal washing powder on my kids clothes, I've never bother about any of the special kids detergents.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (14-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Warm soapy water here too for furniture, and I used omo sensitive liquid on his newborn clothes (now I just use our stuff - he's 5 months now).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (14-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    Warm soapy water here too for furniture, and I used omo sensitive liquid on his newborn clothes (now I just use our stuff - he's 5 months now).
    Thank you so much for replying ladies

I feel really lost with all the little stuff.

You've been really helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    All my furniture got a wipe down with warm soapy water (just a bit of dishwashing liquid) and I use normal washing powder on my kids clothes, I've never bother about any of the special kids detergents.

You've been really helpful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    I use the Nutrimetics laundry soap so I'm not help there but don't use fabric softener on bub's clothes just a gentle soap (I'm sure someone will suggest one). I washed all his clothes at 33 weeks and was planning to wash again around 36/37 weeks but ended up giving birth at 34 weeks!

Despite all that, I ended up putting clothes on him that were unwashed because he didn't fit anything I'd bought and someone ran down the shops and bought premmie clothes for me. So while I heartily encourage washing bub's clothes, it won't be the end of the world if you put an outfit on them that is unwashed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (14-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Amgine View Post

You've been really helpful
    Also, another thing I learnt from having a bub 6 weeks early...we stress about things that we don't need to. It's really just a way to while away the hours while waiting to give birth. I read posts from girls in my DIG stressing about stuff and the advice I gave them (and give to you) is this:

If you have clothes for bub to wear, a car seat to bring them home, a place for them to sleep, nappies to put on them and food to feed them that is literally all you NEED. Everything else is an added bonus. Anything else that you need can be bought. We made numerous trips to Baby Bunting and Babies R Us in those early days buying things that we discovered we needed as we went along but you can survive and care for this baby with just the basics.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (14-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPhart6 View Post
    Also, another thing I learnt from having a bub 6 weeks early...we stress about things that we don't need to. It's really just a way to while away the hours while waiting to give birth. I read posts from girls in my DIG stressing about stuff and the advice I gave them (and give to you) is this:

If you have clothes for bub to wear, a car seat to bring them home, a place for them to sleep, nappies to put on them and food to feed them that is literally all you NEED. Everything else is an added bonus. Anything else that you need can be bought. We made numerous trips to Baby Bunting and Babies R Us in those early days buying things that we discovered we needed as we went along but you can survive and care for this baby with just the basics.
    @Apple iPhart6 Really, thank you so very much!!

This is wonderful help.

I'm not sure why I am stressing so damn much. I have already done all this and at 18 yo. I don't remember being nearly so worried about the whole thing. Lol

But you are completely right! I think it's the kick in the bum I needed

x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    We use earth choice liquid for washing as both of my boys have reacted to other powders and liquids as babies.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (14-02-2015)