+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sizes of babies & labors of your 2nd & subsequent babies

Hi all, just curious to hear from people who have gone on to have more than one baby.

What were the sizes of your babies? We're they bigger than your first?

How long was your labor? Did you experience a better labor 2nd time round?

I'm just trying to get my head around a few things having just found out I'm pregnant with my 2nd! I guess my biggest worry at the moment is the birth. My first was a fairly normal svd with a 6lb 5oz baby girl born at 39+4wks. 8hr active labor with gas pain relief & only some labial grazing. I was lucky. But I know it's not always like that.

Are second time births usually quicker & easier, or harder because you know what's coming?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Hi! My first was an induction at 38+3. He was 6lb10oz and born after three hours of active labour. I had peth, one small tear. Quite an easy birth!

#2 was even easier. Spontaneous labour at 38 weeks, about four hours from 'I think that was a contraction' to baby in my arms. Drug free, no tears. He was 8lb 1oz.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think there is a rule, every pregnancy/birth is different.
    My first was a tiny bub, just under 3kgs. The labour was very difficult, 16hrs.
    My second I knew was a big baby from the scans, which terrified me as my first labour was horrendous and that was a tiny baby, however the labour only lasted 6hrs and even though the baby was a whole kg bigger it was so much easier.

For me being somewhat prepared ended up making it easier the second time round, and I found the newborn stage a lot less stressful then the first time.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first was born at 40 weeks exactly.. She was 3380 grams, spontaneous labour, a tear and grazes, but very easy, drug free, and quick, I only just made it to the hospital about 15 minutes before she was born.

My second was an induction for medical reasons at 40+3. They broke my waters and contractions started not long after. It was under an hour from start to finish. She was smaller, 3260 gr, I had one small first degree tear, that wasn't stitched, along the scar from dd1's birth. Second was much easier, I didn't push or do anything much at all, she just kind of came, like my body knew what to do.

Both were drug free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    First labour was an easy 1.5 hours.Boy weighing 3.41kgs.
    2nd labour was slightly worse. 3.5 hours long and he weighed 3.74kgs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    My 2nd was 5 hours labour maybe shorter actual labour. I went to hospital at 5 and had him at 9. It was definitely better than my first (first was induced). Neither were long labours.

2nd was 3.255kg and 49 cm long. 1st was 3.07 kg and 46.5cm long. Neither were big babies.

2nd was definitely better for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    1st labour - 48 hours had every possible drug on offer. Grazing and 4.18kg baby born posterior spot on his due date.

2nd baby - 9 days overdue. 14 hr labour - epidural. 4.21kg baby and I Hemorrhage afterwards.

3rd baby spot on due date. 3.71 kgs - 3 hour labour, no drugs

4th baby - 3 days early, 3.9kg baby. 5 hour labour, no drugs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Dd1 was sponatenous labour at 39+3, 7 hours from 1st contraction to birth had pre eclampsia and my bp sky rocketed during labour so they made me have an epidural to try to bring it down and if it didn't work they were going to do an emergency c/s. 3rd degree tearing and a truck load of stitches.

Dd2 was spontaneous labour at 38+4, 2 hours from first contraction to birth, walked my self to hospital on the other side of town lol, they put me on the monitor and told me I wasnt in labour and sent me away, 45 mins later I was back and she was born 15 minutes after that. No pain relief, 1st degree tear and some grazing, no stitches. She was 6lb 3oz.

Dd3 was spontaneous labour at 38 weeks, 30 mins from first contraction to birth, no pain relief, 2nd degree tear and a few stitches. She was 6lb 14oz.

Dd4 was spontaneous labour at 39+5, 23 mins from first contraction to birth, no pain relief but was a water birth, no tearing or grazing, she was 6lb 5oz.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My first came at 41 weeks, total labour was 15.5 hours with about 9.5 hours active labour. I had an epidural and needed forceps and an episiotomy. She was 4.22kg

My second came at either 39+1 or exactly 40, depending if I went via LMP or scan. Total labour from first contraction was 10 hours and 40 mins but active labour was only about 3 hours and 49 mins. He was s natural waterbirth. He was 4.31kgs

My second was definitely an easier labour, partially because I was more mentally prepared.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    #1.. DS 40 weeks, 6lbs 2 oz, 23 hours from waters breaking to holding him in my arms.. I was induced as i was a failure to dialate.

#2 DD, 34 weeks. 5lbs 15 oz C section, lost mucous plug at 30 weeks, in hospital until 32 weeks, then OB decided at 34 weeks she had to come out and she was perfect, no intervention needed,, straight to my room that night