+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I stand for mercy...

No one had said they shouldn't be punished. They broke the law of course they deserve consequences.

The point is they are serving their time, without complaint and by all measurable accounts, have turned their lives around. Honestly I'm glad they got caught, I think 5 years in an Australian jail they would have learned nothing and come out and committed more crimes.

Also as mentioned the sentencing consistency is not there. Other citizens in Bali with drug charges and even participants in the Bali bombing got less sentences.

This is less about a countries laws and more about making a point that Indonesia is strong and powerful and merciless. Except when they are putting their greedy little hands out for our tax dollars in aid.....then they want mercy for themselves.

If the executions go ahead I hope Australia is strong enough to remove our embassy and any aid that goes to Indonesia so at least they have consequences to their actions. That maybe they see that a tough prison sentence is just or even more effective than just shooting a human being like an animal.

I stand for mercy

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (15-02-2015),Chooky79  (15-02-2015),GlitterFarts  (15-02-2015),Night Owl  (18-02-2015),PomPoms  (15-02-2015),TheGooch  (15-02-2015),zoz  (15-02-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default I stand for mercy...

Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowRose View Post
    I haven't read all the replies but...

Rehabilitated, sorry, turned their lives around, really? Only because they have had to, because they got caught.

Does anyone believe, if they got away with it, they wouldn't have done it again?

They broke the law, in a country where the consequences are not just extreme but known to all.

It's horrible, no doubt about it, but they knew the risk they were taking.
    Most people need to reach a point of rock bottom in their lives before they turn their lives around or 'rehabilitate' themselves. That's what those phrases mean.

They did know the risk they were taking, absolutely. So did the AFP who turned them in. These kids were 21- an age when their adult brains and decision making capacities are not yet fully formed.

Would you show such disdain for someone who drives into a tree and dies because they text while driving? They knew the risks and consequences too, right? What about someone who eats their chicken despite it being a little pink because they are so hungry, and dies of food poisoning?

I don't believe anyone ever has the right to say another human deserves to die.

Mercy is about respect for all human life, humility and forgiveness. The OP has clearly stated the purpose of this thread.

(sorry for debating, OP - the post really upset me.)

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

babyla  (15-02-2015),beebs  (15-02-2015),MrsSS  (15-02-2015),PomPoms  (15-02-2015),TheGooch  (15-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have never believed a states has the right to kill its citizens or visitors to its boarders. It will never sit right with me regardless the crime.

My only issue with the movement is that it appears we only stand for mercy when it's Australians involved. I know it hits closer to home, but the uproar and outrage is not so vocal when the United States are killing people.

So I stand for mercy for everyone.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mellie29 For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (15-02-2015),ArthurDent  (15-02-2015),beebs  (15-02-2015),Elijahs Mum  (15-02-2015),harvs  (15-02-2015),PomPoms  (15-02-2015)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowRose View Post
    I haven't read all the replies but...

Rehabilitated, sorry, turned their lives around, really? Only because they have had to, because they got caught.

Does anyone believe, if they got away with it, they wouldn't have done it again?

They broke the law, in a country where the consequences are not just extreme but known to all.

It's horrible, no doubt about it, but they knew the risk they were taking.
    Is this necessary?
    The Op is very clear about this thread being for mercy and not debate.
    Please stop trying to make out that this is ok. In this thread, it's not.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (15-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    Is this necessary?
    You're right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    Is this necessary?
    You're right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's an issue people feel very strongly about, this thread was always going to turn into a debate.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chooky79 For This Useful Post:

heplusme  (15-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brooke29579 View Post
    It's an issue people feel very strongly about, this thread was always going to turn into a debate.
    Debate it in another thread.

This thread was not created for that purpose.

It was created so the people who feel strongly about mercy, for Andrew and Myursn, have a place to express how they feel, without others coming in to tell them why they shouldn't feel that way.
    Last edited by babyla; 15-02-2015 at 14:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by BH-KatiesMum; 15-02-2015 at 14:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If there are any mods online can you please fix my link above and in my OP. Not sure why they're not linking properly. Thanks!!