+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 191
  1. #171
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    461
    Thanks
    866
    Thanked
    218
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    No they don't. I don't think we need to respect laws that breach human rights.
    http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...ountries-world

    CHINA THOUSANDS THOUSANDS
    IRAN 1,663 156
    SAUDI ARABIA 423 54
    IRAQ 256 1,420
    UNITED STATES 220 504
    PAKISTAN 171 1,497
    YEMEN 152 109
    KOREA (NORTH) 105 0
    VIETNAM 58 258
    LIBYA 39 0

  2. #172
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,393
    Thanks
    2,018
    Thanked
    829
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by calicocat View Post
    The world feels like a darker place today.
    How cruel that the families could hear the gunshots.
    This was always a political move, and pride and ego also played starring roles. This story is from yesterday but I found it really interesting, it's about Widodo and why he never would have stopped those bullets.

    http://m.smh.com.au/comment/indonesi...28-1muhkk.html
    Omg....thank you, thank you, thank you. I think this is another reason why Australians have become particulary active in supporting these guys. Their sentences had almost all but been officially downgraded to life imprisionment but the new govt...enter Widodo and it's back to the death penalty. It's politics.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (29-04-2015)

  4. #173
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,393
    Thanks
    2,018
    Thanked
    829
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThenThereWereThree View Post
    http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...ountries-world

    CHINA THOUSANDS THOUSANDS
    IRAN 1,663 156
    SAUDI ARABIA 423 54
    IRAQ 256 1,420
    UNITED STATES 220 504
    PAKISTAN 171 1,497
    YEMEN 152 109
    KOREA (NORTH) 105 0
    VIETNAM 58 258
    LIBYA 39 0
    But does this make the execution today okay?

  5. #174
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think you'll find that most people who are for Mercy don't agree with the death penalty anywhere. And I would say that most people, when they really think about it are opposed to human rights abuses. I think the problem here is that a lot of people are letting their personal feelings (about drugs etc) cloud their rational judgement. Uganda is currently trying to bring in the death penalty for gay people - I'm sure most would be horrified at the thought!

    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Japan and the USA executed more people than Indonesia in 2013. No one seems to get too upset about that.

    I completely disagree with the death penalty, but then at the same time it is so well publicized that Indonesia has the death penalty for drug traffickers. It's not a secret, there's massive billboards at the airport when you come in. Argh I don't know, it's all a moral conundrum.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Catzilla  (29-04-2015)

  7. #175
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert01 View Post
    That fact is not lost on most people, I don't think.

    However, Australians are necessarily more involved in this case because they were Australian citizens. Aside from that, their situation/case was complicated by the morally suspect role of the AFP in allowing them to leave Australia.

    I understand that this doesn't make the lives of people who are/have been executed in the US or Japan any less valuable or worth fighting for.
    I agree, I think the reasons a lot of Australian's are upset about this case is because it has been political game playing from the start. They had life sentences, then they changed it to the death penalty etc. Not to mention the Scott Rush's dad was the one who tipped of the AFP, who tipped of the Indonesian's. They could have let them board the plane and arrested them at this end. But they didn't, even though Australia as a country doesn't support the death penalty.

    The whole thing has been a complete shamozzle.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Albert01  (29-04-2015),HappyBovinexx  (29-04-2015),Skyler  (29-04-2015)

  9. #176
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What is your point? That because Iran kills thousands we should not talk about anyone else doing the wrong thing? That is a a straw man argument.

    You realise that Iran executes gay people based on their sexuality right? But that is ok because it is their law?


    Quote Originally Posted by ThenThereWereThree View Post
    http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...ountries-world

    CHINA THOUSANDS THOUSANDS
    IRAN 1,663 156
    SAUDI ARABIA 423 54
    IRAQ 256 1,420
    UNITED STATES 220 504
    PAKISTAN 171 1,497
    YEMEN 152 109
    KOREA (NORTH) 105 0
    VIETNAM 58 258
    LIBYA 39 0

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Skyler  (29-04-2015)

  11. #177
    harvs's Avatar
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,997
    Thanks
    6,239
    Thanked
    15,893
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Please can we just not have a debate about it for today? It feels icky.

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

    Catzilla  (29-04-2015),HappyBovinexx  (29-04-2015),PomPoms  (29-04-2015),waterlily  (29-04-2015)

  13. #178
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think if dialogue comes out of this tragedy then that is perhaps the only (vaguely) positive thing that could happen. Perhaps on a different thread though. As this is the stand for mercy thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Please can we just not have a debate about it for today? It feels icky.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    harvs  (29-04-2015),Skyler  (29-04-2015)

  15. #179
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    2,115
    Thanks
    668
    Thanked
    698
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm with you on that. There's plenty of time for getting into the ins and outs of this sort of thing; but now is not it.

  16. #180
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,617
    Thanks
    35,329
    Thanked
    19,757
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    I'm in favour/support of Capital Punishment/Death Penalty (call it what you will). I believe there are definitely cases (think Daniel Morcombe, Jill Meagher and crimes like it) where it's most definitely warranted.

    I don't believe it is in this case. Whatever the reason they were executed, be it political or otherwise,there's nothing anyone can do as another countries laws are completely out of our control to change. We'd be up in arms if another country told us what to do in regards to our justice system.


    That being said, firing squad is archaic when other methods are available to use and I believe the way the boys and their families were treated in the lead up to this (especially the boys) was atrocious!!

    The only thing we can realistically do is boycott the country for holidays, etc.
    Last edited by BlondeinBrisvegas; 29-04-2015 at 11:54.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

    WiseOldOwl  (29-04-2015)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Sounds you cannot stand!
    By TaylorMade in forum General Chat
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 28-11-2014, 10:50
  2. How do you help a preteen stand up for themselves
    By Sonja in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 23:54
  3. 24 & TTC for our 1st! Can't stand the Wait!
    By Jessica23 in forum Conception & Fertility General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 23-06-2014, 17:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Softmats
With so many amazing reversible designs, the soft and cushioned Premium Bubba Mats are the perfect space for all the family. Not only do they look fantastic; you can also enjoy the quality and comfort for years to come.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Vibe Natural Health
Your natural health care team for fertility, pregnancy, post natal and family health care. Our Naturopaths, Doctors, Osteopaths, Acupuncturists, Psychologists,Nutritionists, Pilates, & Massage specialise in women & children's health and wellbeing.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!