+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Spin it any way you want VP, but every single person involved in the bombings who got under 18 years have already been freed on clemency, the longest served was 7 years. 7 years for belonging to a terror group that purposely killed a large group of civilians, not to mention the injuries. For physically making the bombs. The people who drove the bombers to their destinations. People who recruited others to the cause etc. The mind boggles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Spin it any way you want VP, but every single person involved in the bombings who got under 18 years have already been freed on clemency, the longest served was 7 years. 7 years for belonging to a terror group that purposely killed a large group of civilians, not to mention the injuries. For physically making the bombs. The people who drove the bombers to their destinations. People who recruited others to the cause etc. The mind boggles.
    You are generalising and jumping on the Indonesians are bad bandwagon.

Some bomb makers and drivers etc got the death penalty. Others didn't. Perhaps there was hardly any evidence against those that got reduced sentences?. Perhaps Indonesian authorities were stretching their luck to have them prosecuted at all. Maybe that set the scene for a plea bargain.

Even in Australia people get reduced sentences because the evidence quite isn't there. Manslaughter instead of murder. Sometimes the sentences just appear to be bloody crap and the media articles really don't do a good job of delving into the why (think Brett Cowans first two victims before Daniel morcombe).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

Some bomb makers and drivers etc got the death penalty. Others didn't. Perhaps there was hardly any evidence against those that got reduced sentences?. Perhaps Indonesian authorities were stretching their luck to have them prosecuted at all. Maybe that set the scene for a plea bargain.

Even in Australia people get reduced sentences because the evidence quite isn't there. Manslaughter instead of murder. Sometimes the sentences just appear to be bloody crap and the media articles really don't do a good job of delving into the why (think Brett Cowans first two victims before Daniel morcombe).
    There are a lot of maybes there VP. Fact is in case of that bomb maker he was convicted and sentenced but his good behaviour enabled him to have a very reduced sentence even though he played a part in mass murder.

I'm not jumping on indonesians are bad bandwagon I'm disappointed in one person and that's Widodo. His failure to be compassionate, humane and fair.

Ok I'm also disappointed in the two leaders of the islamic groups in Indonesia who support the death penalty.

I will agree though that Australia's judicial system is very flawed. Sex offenders etc don't get long enough sentences.
    Last edited by Night Owl; 16-03-2015 at 19:41.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Night Owl For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-03-2015),GlitterFarts  (16-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default I stand for mercy...

Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    There are a lot of maybes there VP. Fact is in case of that bomb maker he was convicted and sentenced but his good behaviour enabled him to have a very reduced sentence even though he played a part in mass murder.

I'm not jumping on indonesians are bad bandwagon I'm disappointed in one person and that's Widodo. His failure to be compassionate, humane and fair.
    What were the specific charges and the reasons the judge gave in his summary speech for a reduced sentence? Unless you know these details then yes you are jumping to conclusions on the Indonesians are bad bandwagon.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Does it have to be an Indonesians are bad bandwagon?

Because I'm on the 'to a layperson the sentences handed down seem insulting and do not sufficiently reflect the enormity of the crime committed' bandwagon :-)

I agree though VP, it's getting harder and harder to access information which is unbiased and trustworthy about most things, to be honest, which is ridiculous given the age we live in.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cholili was sentenced to 18 years in prison in 2006 for assisting slain ringleaders Noordin Mohammad Top and Azahari Husin to assemble explosives used in the blasts.

"Muhammad Cholili has been released on parole today after several remissions which he received for good behaviour. He has never broken any prison regulations," the justice ministry's prisons spokeswoman Ika Yusanti said.

http://khabarsoutheastasia.com/en_GB...7/newsbrief-05
    Last edited by Night Owl; 16-03-2015 at 19:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I am not jumping on the "Indonesia is bad" bandwagon, I am jumping on the "Indonesia's judicial system I corrupt" bandwagon, which is very well documented I might add
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel completely sick thinking about tonight......

I stand for mercy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ArthurDent For This Useful Post:

Skyler  (28-04-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Me too. I've been thinking about it all evening and I keep getting teary when I think about it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Skyler  (28-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I keep hearing about the victims of ODs and drugs. But what about the family and loved ones of Andrew and Myruan? They have done nothing wrong, yet they will be the ones to suffer for the rest of their lives. The death penalty is punishing those that will be left behind. So sad.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (29-04-2015),Skyler  (28-04-2015)