+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Not DV yet as such and he's lucky enough not to even know what that is , he definitely knows we don't hit people or animals and I'm lucky he's a pretty gentle, easy going 4 year old but what age do we start talking about it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Apple I had that discussion already with ds1. Also no is no this second. Even in the middle of the act.
    I also talk to regularly about how much stronger he is than a most women.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dd's only 2. So far we talk about things like how someone gets to decide what happens to their own body, and how it's not okay to hurt someone. DP and I do talk about things like domestic violence, sexual assault, consent etc. in front of her though. I think it's important that these topics be discussed openly and honestly with and around kids.

For those reading along and thinking about this topic, here's my big thought. Impress upon your kids the importance of consent/bodily autonomy/ALWAYS respecting someone else's choices even if you don't agree. I work with kids who have been abused and neglected, and it's so critically important that kids grow up knowing that they have control over their own choices, and that it's never EVER okay to manipulate others for your own purpose.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (13-02-2015),beebs  (13-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I role model good behaviours with ds, praise him for being kind to his little sister and I remind her not to hit her older brother either. I recently watched this with ds too and we had a little chat about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2OcKQ_mbiQ I feel that's enough at his age

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

Lauzy  (13-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    I role model good behaviours with ds, praise him for being kind to his little sister and I remind her not to hit her older brother either. I recently watched this with ds too and we had a little chat about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2OcKQ_mbiQ I feel that's enough at his age
    That brought tears to my eyes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (13-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is not a conversation I have explicitly had at this stage (they are 4 and 2), but we model non violent behavior and have an absolute rule about never laying your hands on anyone in frustration or anger (loving touch that is invited only). I hope that as they grow there will be opportunities to expand on that to more explicit conversations.

I have the book `Everyone has a bottom' and we frequently say `From our head to our toes we say what goes' as a reminder that we are in charge of our own bodies.

I'm thinking of showing them Twilight when they are 12 or so to show exactly what a dating relationship should not be like!

Bhbhbh...how old is your child you showed that clip to?

Thanks
    Reviews
    That video brought tears to my eyes as well! Damn soppy music and cute kids with accents

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bounty For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (13-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post

Bhbhbh...how old is your child you showed that clip to?
    He is 7.5 yo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cheers, I will wait a few years

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    Cheers, I will wait a few years
    I didn't want the meaning to get lost on him if I had to read the subtitles.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (13-02-2015)