+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Kathy Kopellis is a WA based dog behaviourist who does a lot of work with introducing your dog to a baby. She has a book that you might find helpful

http://kathysdogtraining.com.au/prod...toyourbaby.php

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 10month old bullmastiff x wolfhound x staghound x bull terrier x kelpie he's about 37kg+ he's the biggest gentle giant but does get over excited he has been around my 3 children since ages 4,5,8 but hasn't been around babies I'm 3 months pregnant so alittle worried how he will be with the bub and is there a way to settle him down while his still a pup ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1429481165.781263.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again ladies for your helpful responses. @sunhine22 he is gorgeous!! @VirgoMama I agree with you that dogs can be unpredictable, especially ours as they have a history of naughty behaviour (not with children though). I guess I also have to think about whether I am going to be able to give them the love and exercise that they need if I am trying to keep them outside and away from the baby.
    So tough!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    @Sunshine22 I am wondering the same thing. I have an 18 month old ds and a 3 month old bull arab puppy. She is a great pup but just gets too excited around ds. How do I get her to calm down around him so he can start playing outside again?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd love to hear how all the expectant mothers got on introducing their LO to their dog/s. We have 2 boisterous cattle dogs and a 6 month old dd. We let them sniff her within hours of coming home from hospital. We carried on with their usual routine. They stayed their distance for about 2 weeks and during that time gradually became more curious and relaxed. They were then back to normal. I had visions of them trying to jump all over her but they don't. They try to lick her and that's it. I've been so proud of them. I think the secret for us what to keep business as usual and not make a big fuss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reminder as I meant to come back and update.

Our dogs have ended up being fine with our son DH brought home a blanket he had been wrapped in before we brought him home, and we started off by keeping them largely separate (with baby gates) and introducing him to them slowly. Once we were sure they were okay, we've relaxed a bit, although we wouldn't leave him down low while they're around. The only issue we've had is them barking and waking him up from naps!

The next step is when he starts crawling in a couple of months and how we'll manage that...

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's great to hear your dogs have coped well. Dogs are so smart ) our LO has started commando crawling. If she crawls over to one of the dogs they usually lick her or our girl dog, who is slightly highly strung, might move away. We'd never leave them unsupervised either and it's rare that they get too close but if they do it's strictly supervised. I'm sure they will grow up to be best friends )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Things are still going great!! Bub LOVES the dogs, they are now part of our naptime routine as we go outside and watch them for a bit to help him wind down before his naps. They are quite gentle with him, except for occasionally licking his face. They really did prove us all wrong He is crawling now but they are still separated by baby gates and he is quite happy to stay in the lounge room so far!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fi Poledancer View Post
    Things are still going great!! Bub LOVES the dogs, they are now part of our naptime routine as we go outside and watch them for a bit to help him wind down before his naps. They are quite gentle with him, except for occasionally licking his face. They really did prove us all wrong He is crawling now but they are still separated by baby gates and he is quite happy to stay in the lounge room so far!
    Great to hear! Our dogs and baby are also going great. Now that she's crawling and almost walking, she's a bit too inquisitive so we keep them separated by gates too.