I'm a secondary teacher and I'd let a student go 10 min after lunch. But, any student who needs to go during class must come back during the next break and serve a detention equal to the time they took to go to the toilet. That surely weeds out the ones who just want to get out of class! I can't imagine not letting a six year old go to the toilet!
10 minutes after break is when explicit teaching is taking place.
I already said in my first post that I say no the first time. Then I keep an eye out to see who is really busting. 95% of the time they forget about it, the other 5% are jiggling about so I let them go.
Ong I am so glad my school has taken my advice to heart my 15 year old can not hold on. If he has to go he has to go now. He doesn't have a set dx but I did have the pead write a note to school.
My son was in year 1 last year and he came home upset that a girl in his class had wet herself as she hadn't been allowed to go. I told him that if he really needed to go and was told no, he could still excuse himself and I would sort it out later. I also told him that he couldn't take advantage of it. He never has. He did say the teacher apologised and told the class it wouldn't be fair to tease the girl.
I also can't stand that children have to put their hand up and 'announce' they need to use the toilet.
It's a really difficult predicament. One child puts their hand up and asks to go the toilet. You let them go and then 10 other kids put their hand up to go. Usually they don't actually need to go.
Pregnant for the first-time?
Not sure where to start? We can help!
Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!