+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    As a school teacher, I have to hold on until my break. I simply can't leave kids unsupervised, especially when in a classroom that is isolated as there's no other teachers close by to watch the class.
    Yes, but you are an adult. I am a lawyer and I also have to wait until Court breaks, I can't just walk out of the Courtroom. Doesn't mean I would apply the same expectations to a child in grade one. I am actually quite surprised a teacher would refuse a child of that age a toilet break whenever they might need it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DailyDiversion For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (13-02-2015),WiseOldOwl  (13-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a secondary teacher and I'd let a student go 10 min after lunch. But, any student who needs to go during class must come back during the next break and serve a detention equal to the time they took to go to the toilet. That surely weeds out the ones who just want to get out of class! I can't imagine not letting a six year old go to the toilet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Queen of Amazingtown View Post
    . Do you know if she was expected to go at the end of lunch? That would be where I would start...
    I don't know if there is any signal to tell them to go like PP have said there is at other schools. I'll ask my niece and if not tell her to suggest it when she speaks to the Principle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DailyDiversion View Post
    Yes, but you are an adult. I am a lawyer and I also have to wait until Court breaks, I can't just walk out of the Courtroom. Doesn't mean I would apply the same expectations to a child in grade one. I am actually quite surprised a teacher would refuse a child of that age a toilet break whenever they might need it.
    I have a 6 year old daughter in year 1 and sometimes she has to wait.

10 minutes after break is when explicit teaching is taking place.

I already said in my first post that I say no the first time. Then I keep an eye out to see who is really busting. 95% of the time they forget about it, the other 5% are jiggling about so I let them go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Ong I am so glad my school has taken my advice to heart my 15 year old can not hold on. If he has to go he has to go now. He doesn't have a set dx but I did have the pead write a note to school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    Ong I am so glad my school has taken my advice to heart my 15 year old can not hold on. If he has to go he has to go now. He doesn't have a set dx but I did have the pead write a note to school.
    There are children at my school who are allowed to go when they ask as parents have informed us of problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 6 year old daughter in year 1 and sometimes she has to wait.

10 minutes after break is when explicit teaching is taking place.

I already said in my first post that I say no the first time. Then I keep an eye out to see who is really busting. 95% of the time they forget about it, the other 5% are jiggling about so I let them go.
    I have a seven year old in year 2 and I know that quite often she really needs to go straight away. I also know she would be absolutely mortified (and I would be livid) if she was placed in the position of wetting her pants in front if her peers. I would think that not all children are assertive enough to ask again or even gesture after being told no, particularly at that tender age.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DailyDiversion For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (13-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son was in year 1 last year and he came home upset that a girl in his class had wet herself as she hadn't been allowed to go. I told him that if he really needed to go and was told no, he could still excuse himself and I would sort it out later. I also told him that he couldn't take advantage of it. He never has. He did say the teacher apologised and told the class it wouldn't be fair to tease the girl.

I also can't stand that children have to put their hand up and 'announce' they need to use the toilet.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (13-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DailyDiversion View Post
    I have a seven year old in year 2 and I know that quite often she really needs to go straight away. I also know she would be absolutely mortified (and I would be livid) if she was placed in the position of wetting her pants in front if her peers. I would think that not all children are assertive enough to ask again or even gesture after being told no, particularly at that tender age.
    I am out and about quite a bit with my 6 year old where occasionally there are no toilets or they're too gross to use. Sometimes she just has to hold on.

It's a really difficult predicament. One child puts their hand up and asks to go the toilet. You let them go and then 10 other kids put their hand up to go. Usually they don't actually need to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am out and about quite a bit with my 6 year old where occasionally there are no toilets or they're too gross to use. Sometimes she just has to hold on.

It's a really difficult predicament. One child puts their hand up and asks to go the toilet. You let them go and then 10 other kids put their hand up to go. Usually they don't actually need to go.
    Not all 6yr olds have that control though. I don't know what the answer is. Maybe all junior primary classrooms should have a toilet in them, but good luck getting Govt to cough up for that.