+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    The problem is one child asks and if you let them go, another 10 kids ask. It's very disruptive.
    This.
    I don't know how it is for other schools, but at ours, the teacher has to wait for the children (buddy system) to come back before resuming class.
    If they let them go whenever they wanted (and, lets face it, a lot will just say it and not actually need to) nothing would get done.

They're very lenient with Kindy, but Year 1 on is quite strict.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's very hard being on the other side of this.
    Say you let kids go to the loo and something happens... They fall. .. Or there's a snake. ... The teacher is blamed. I teach older kids but there's always an element of risk a teacher must weigh up when saying yes or no.
    I let my kids go to the toilet but I have a very hard working class of gifted students who don't like missing work. But I've taught classes before when it was just a thing to do to get out of school work.
    I've also let year three students go to the toilets during class who thought it would be fun to shove toilet paper in all the toilets which blocked them up and rendered them out of action and with a very expensive bill from a 'poo' man! !!
    You can't win either on way on this topic! !!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

harvs  (13-02-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    6 year olds wetting themselves is not uncommon. I think that changing schools would be an overreaction personally.

At our school we play music five minutes before the bell and we expect our younger students to have a drink and go to the toilet. I teach upper primary and expect mine to go then. As a general rule if someone asked to go 10 minutes after lunch we would say no unless they were clearly busting because we would assume that they should've gone to the toilet.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (14-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    It's very hard being on the other side of this.
    Say you let kids go to the loo and something happens... They fall. .. Or there's a snake. ... The teacher is blamed. I teach older kids but there's always an element of risk a teacher must weigh up when saying yes or no.
    I let my kids go to the toilet but I have a very hard working class of gifted students who don't like missing work. But I've taught classes before when it was just a thing to do to get out of school work.
    I've also let year three students go to the toilets during class who thought it would be fun to shove toilet paper in all the toilets which blocked them up and rendered them out of action and with a very expensive bill from a 'poo' man! !!
    You can't win either on way on this topic! !!
    I totally get it, but then when you're the parent of a distraught child because of an accident that's hard too. This little girl has had problems with friends turning nasty on her and even a parent bullying her since starting school last year. She didn't need this on top of all that. You're right that you can't win either way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vampstorso View Post
    Seems insane to me.
    Given at work your employer cant legally stop you from going to the bathroom outside of your breaks, seems mighty stupid to stop a small child!
    This. Why do we as adults think it's ok to have expectations of children that we don't have of ourselves?!

Toileting is a basic human right, I can't believe the teacher said the poor child couldn't go!!!

If it were me I'd go to the schools principal, & if I wasn't happy with the response from them, then the education department.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    I totally get it, but then when you're the parent of a distraught child because of an accident that's hard too. This little girl has had problems with friends turning nasty on her and even a parent bullying her since starting school last year. She didn't need this on top of all that. You're right that you can't win either way.
    So true.
    I get it. I actually had a child many years ago in year 3 who had wet herself because of the same thing back in year 1. It was still a issue for her in year 3.... In the sense that it was brought to my attention by the mum at the beginning of the year. The bright side is that it stopped being a problem with feeling nervous and embarrassed or teased within a short time frame. .. And that student went through primary school very happy with lots of friends.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (13-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    As a school teacher, I have to hold on until my break. I simply can't leave kids unsupervised, especially when in a classroom that is isolated as there's no other teachers close by to watch the class.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Katvee  (14-02-2015),New Hope  (13-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    As a school teacher, I have to hold on until my break. I simply can't leave kids unsupervised, especially when in a classroom that is isolated as there's no other teachers close by to watch the class.
    Same here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Queen of Amazingtown View Post
    6 year olds wetting themselves is not uncommon. I think that changing schools would be an overreaction personally.

It's this issue on top of all the bullying and how that was handled (or not handled). Also another issue with this teacher. Her class has 2 teachers, one for 3 days and one for 2 days which she is not dealing with very well. So when this happened the other day my niece just felt like throwing it in and moving her.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    It's this issue on top of all the bullying and how that was handled (or not handled). Also another issue with this teacher. Her class has 2 teachers, one for 3 days and one for 2 days which she is not dealing with very well. So when this happened the other day my niece just felt like throwing it in and moving her.
    Yeah, I'm sorry I was going to go back and edit because I reread your comment. Then was distracted by bubbles.

It is very common though. I agree with @Tamtam though - we really can't win here. Do you know if she was expected to go at the end of lunch? That would be where I would start...

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (13-02-2015),WiseOldOwl  (13-02-2015)