+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Question for Early Primary teachers

I'm asking this for a family member whose DD is 6yrs old in Yr1 in NSW. Yesterday the DD asked the teacher 10min after the bell went to return to class from lunch if she could go to the toilet. The teacher refused her saying it was too soon after lunch and this resulted in her wetting herself. The DD's mother is absolutely furious with the teacher and her DD is beside herself. So what should the family member do? She is thinking about making a complaint against the teacher with the education department. Would this be the best course of action for her? She doesn't want her child or any other to suffer this kind of embarrassment again. Now her DD has to face her peers who all know what happened and this kind of thing spreads like wild fire. She has already had some bulling incidents last year (she was the victim) and was hoping for a fresh start this year. The thought is to change the DD to a new school.

Advise please

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I taught in a year one classroom last year. At the beginning of the new year, we would always remind the children to go to the toilet before coming into class. If they came into class and needed to go, I would ask, do you really need to go and I would send them but remind them of the rules.
    I think the best thing to do would be to talk to the teacher first. Sometimes there may be a misunderstanding between teacher and child. I don't think complaining about the teacher will solve anything.
    If she is still not happy, then voice her opinions to the assistant principal/principal.
    I work in a religious school and we recommend the children not going to the toilet during Church, so they need to go before hand. But if they are really busting of course they can go, they can get bladder problems from holding on too frequently.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to New Hope For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (12-02-2015),WiseOldOwl  (12-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should add that she did speak to the teacher and all she was told was that it was only 10min after class resumed, so she didn't let her go. I get that they need to learn to go before the end of lunch/recess but we are talking about a 6yr old.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (13-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would be speaking to ap/ or principal then and voicing my concerns. Is the teacher young at all or beginning, as experience comes with a wealth of knowledge especially with little kids who need to go to the toilet right away.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to New Hope For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (13-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldnt go straight to the educ. Dept., she should first try to resolve the issue with the teacher, then with the principal if she doesnt get a satisfactory response, then the ED. At that age, children need very clear guidelines - eg, to say 'go during lunch' is difficult because the child had no concept of when lunch finishes, suddenly the bell goes & the child hasnt been to the toilet yet. Ive worked in schools with 2 bells & the kids know that the first bell is a toilet/ drink bell & the second is a classroom bell. At that age, IME kids dont go overboard with teasing abouy that sort of thing, so i hope your friends DD isnt teased.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (12-02-2015),Maia  (12-02-2015),WiseOldOwl  (12-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

At our school, we remind all children before they head out to lunch/recess to use the bathroom/get a drink etc.

We also have a bell that plays music before the end of lunch and all the children know that when they hear this bell It is time to use the toilet/get a drink. It has been very successful esp. with the younger kiddies.

I agree with PP, have a chat because sometimes in the classroom this get mixed up.

I hope it all works out

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Amgine For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (12-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It is the school rules to go during breaks at my kids' school.
    And, yes, a teacher would refuse to let a child go right after lunch.
    BUT the kids are reminded to go at least 3 times during breaks, and there is a 5 minute "break" between lunch and class resuming where they can go then.

I would talk to the teacher, then the principal. Then, maybe the P&C.
    I wouldn't involve the Dept. of Education, yet. However, depending on the teacher, principal, and P&C response, I may mention that I was considering involving the Dept.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (12-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Seems insane to me.
    Given at work your employer cant legally stop you from going to the bathroom outside of your breaks, seems mighty stupid to stop a small child!

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to vampstorso For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (13-02-2015),FrothyFrog  (13-02-2015),lilypily  (13-02-2015),Monkey'sMummy  (13-02-2015),peanutmonkey  (13-02-2015),sookawooka  (14-02-2015),WiseOldOwl  (13-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am not a teacher, but I remember it was the same deal in primary school. If you asked 10mins after inside time, you couldn't go. Served as a reminder to go before you came in.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to White Mage For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (13-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have a rule. That my children must be allowed to go when they need too. No exceptions. I have written a letter stating that they must be allowed to go even if they have just been 5 minutes ago with a understanding that if is abused it will be dealt with harshly. Some of My children medical issue the others have a tendency to get bladder infections easily. I have only had one teacher give one my children a hard time and I returned the favor.

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (13-02-2015),HappyBovinexx  (13-02-2015),MissMuppet  (13-02-2015),Monkey'sMummy  (13-02-2015),New Hope  (13-02-2015),Ra Ra Superstar  (13-02-2015),WiseOldOwl  (13-02-2015)