+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't force it with my child. I had a friend who got really anxious being away from her family and I remember they sent her to the grade 7 camp and she was so upset. It was awful. She worked herself up so much that she was physically sick and they ended up having to call her dad to come and collect her on the first night.

Could you perhaps have a chat with her teacher (if they are going on the camp) and see if they have any suggestions? Is the camp going to be far from home? Is it feasible to send her for the first day but tell her that if she wants to come home that night then you will collect her? Maybe she will get there and have so much fun that she won't want you to and will stay. Only you know your daughter and how she may cope. I'm sure you will make the best decision for her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I feel for her lol I have to spend one night at a scout training camp in an unfamiliar place and I'm in a tizz about it but I have no alternatives, I have to go to become a leader. Hopefully she will come to the conclusion she does want to go on her own, all I can suggest is talk with her about it without talking about it too much and let her make the decision, she may not go and wish she did and go to the next camp

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Another teacher input. .. I've been on several year 5 and year 6 camps. Often there are children who are very anxious about it.
    I would set up a meeting with the teacher to talk about the anxieties and make a joint plan together to prepare your child for it.
    Then I would gently encourage her to go. ... And make a plan for homesickness on camp. I'm sure the teacher has compassion for these instances. .. I certainly did. And when some kids were really inconsolable we made a phone call to mum/dad.... made a hot chocolate. . Had a chat and got their friends around them to support them.
    In all my years of camps I've never had a child regret they went.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My son has a yr 5 camp on next month. They leave the Monday and get back the Friday

He was scared about going; he has high functioning autism and sensory processing disorder and has never been away from me for more than 1 night.

I paid the deposit quite early on and told him he can still pull out. As the teachers have talked about it more with them and he has spoken with his friends n such, he wants to go.

I dont doubt it will be tough on him, but independent resilience is something that needs to be worked on for him especially.

Having said that i know a lot of kids who arent going

I was never allowed to go on camps growing up; we couldnt afford it. I still feel like i missed out >_<

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Wow! We have a whole school camp every other year and our 5 year olds go on it too. We also have two year seven camps - one to Adelaide and one to Canberra. We usually ask a dad of one of our youngest to come along.

My experience is the kids that don't go on camp when they're young more often than not never end up going on camp, and are generally socially separate from their peers.

My opinion would be to encourage going, particularly as a Year 5. We always always let our kids ring home, and kids that are homesick at first usually improve during the week and feel empowered by their newfound resilience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's important for social development. The kids will talk about the memories they made for a long time. As some of the others said perhaps go as a helper or pick up early if she isn't settling in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyW View Post
    Most schools I've worked at in Qld have had an overnight sleepover at school in Grade 2 or 3, a 2 night camp in Grade 4, then 2 or 3 nights in Grade 5 and 6. Year 7 and up 3 or 4 nights. So yes 4 nights seems like a lot for Year 5, but in most schools they would build up to that I'd imagine??
    My first ever camp was in year 5 for 5 days. It was great! There was no leading up to it though in my early years.