+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tips for routines with 3 kids?

Not sure if anyone with a big family has time to be on bubhub! but anyways thought I'd try...

We have 2 school kids (5&8) and 1 baby 8 months old. Our school morning goes like this:
    6.30-7am start getting up - DP still here so gets older kids breakfast if they are up
    7am all up, make school lunches, change baby's nappy, get rest of breakfasts for older kids when DP gone to work around 7/7.15
    7.40 get mine and baby breakfast and put away dishes
    8.10/20 have quick shower
    8.30 help 5 year old with shoe laces, dd hair and last things together for school.
    8.40 leave
    (this is never even this smooth as baby is crawling and into everything and keeps falling over so there are multiple pauses while I tend to her, 5 year old still has poo accidents so there's that to deal with some mornings)
    9am-3pm try and fit in shopping, washing, housework, playing with baby and time for me (hahahahahahaha)
    After school there is gymnastics 2 days, soon to be rugby and maybe french lessons. I try and have dinner ready by 5.30 but gees somedays that ends up 6 and beans on toast! After school they need snacks, want time to play outside, homework. My poor baby lives on breast milk (cus it's easy!), avocado's, bits of our meals and rafferty pouches. Bath's start at 6-6.30pm, bub is bad sleeper so if DP not home from work older kids are by themselves in living room watching tv or playing on computers or fighting! and of course that means just as bub drops off they wake her up. So rare for all to be asleep before 8.30. I try and keep on top of things by making sure our benches are always clear at night and folding laundry etc but I'm so tired by that point getting stuck into something like sorting out the fridge or dealing with paperwork makes me want to cry!!! and often I do!
    How do you manage?!?! 3 isn't even a huge family I know but it's such a struggle. This here is my only me time today I have until my coffee is finished then if I don't get stuff done while bub sleeps it'll all descend into absolute chaos!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a baby, 2yo & 4yo. Kindy mornings we aim to leave the house by 8.20 but it doesnt always happen! My tips are -
    - have bags, lunches, etc. mostly packed the night before & have clothes laid out the night before
    - i try to get up 15mins before the kids to have a shower & get dressed then
    -

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whoops, hit send early!
    - i prep/ cook dinner as much as i can in the afternoon before kindy pick up, while the baby is sleeping
    - particularly in the kitchen, i clean as i go
    - me & the kids do a big toy clean up just before dinner

Cant think of anything else right now, but i get how busy life can be with three kids!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (13-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have 4 kids aged 7.5, 4.5, 2.5 and 9 months... plus dh works interstate and gone weeks at a time, so I usually don't have the extra set of hands. Dd1 is in year 2 and has gymnastics on a Saturday morning and dd2 goes to Kindy 5 days a fortnight. Our house goes a little like this-

7am- wake up, get dressed, older girls get themselves and dd3 breakfast then watch tv while I have a coffee

8am- wake dd4 up and get her changed and dressed

8.15- out the door and drop dd1 at school

8.30- drop dd2 at kindy

8.45- home, feed dd4, tidy kitchen from breakfast, put washing on, tidy toys, have another coffee while dd3 and dd4 play

10am put dd4 down for sleep, vacuum, fold and put away washing from yesterday, put current load into dryer and another load on (if needed), make morning tea for dd3

11.30am stuff around, maybe bake something for school lunches

12.30 make lunch for dd3

1.30/2pm dd4 wakes, give her some lunch/a bottle, play with kids

2.30 pick dd3 up from kindy

3.00 pick dd1 up from school

3.15 afternoon tea, kids play outside, i sit down and relax for a bit

5.00 start cooking dinner

5.30 dinner, i eat mine while feeding dd4

6.30 dd3 in bath, dd1 and dd2 in shower

7.00 dd3 in bed, quiet play or movie for dd1 and dd2, bath dd4

7.30 dd2 in bed, tidy kitchen from dinner, tidy toys away

8.30 dd1 in bed, dd4 has a bottle and play, I watch tv

9.30 dd4 has bottle and bed

10.00 make school lunches for tomorrow, get uniform and clothes ready for school/kindy,

11pm i go to bed

During the week I tidy as I go then weekends I do a proper clean. I vacuum and mop after kids are in bed on saturday night. Older girls tidy their rooms once a week (no set day).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (13-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 3 kids and haven't worked out a good routine yet. School drop off and pick up just sucks so much time out of my day!
    My routine is a bit like yours, but baby doesn't have solids yet, so that saves me a bit! I'm going to do BLW this time around as I don't see myself getting time to make purees.
    My DH gets the older kids breakfast and gets them dressed and makes me a cup if tea before he goes to work. I've been making school lunch in the morning, but should probably do it the evening before.
    I generally don't have breakfast until I get home from school drop off and just make it big, so it is then breakfast and lunch!
    I do almost all my groceries online, or send DH to the supermarket on the weekend.
    I think things are about to get a whole lot harder for me when DS2 starts moving and starts solids...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (13-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also we don't have any after school activities yet, so dinner is at 5 and baby in bed at 6, other kids in bed at 7. We all get up between 6 and 6:30am. But my DH is home from work most days by 5, so that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    It can be chaotic with three kids that's for sure! My three are 9, 7 and 3 so all are slightly more independent than yours are now and that makes life easier! I definitely second the tips of getting bags, clothes etc...ready the night before and prepping lunches and dinners as much as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    I have 4 kids aged 7.5, 4.5, 2.5 and 9 months... plus dh works interstate and gone weeks at a time, so I usually don't have the extra set of hands. Dd1 is in year 2 and has gymnastics on a Saturday morning and dd2 goes to Kindy 5 days a fortnight. Our house goes a little like this-

7am- wake up, get dressed, older girls get themselves and dd3 breakfast then watch tv while I have a coffee

8am- wake dd4 up and get her changed and dressed

8.15- out the door and drop dd1 at school

8.30- drop dd2 at kindy

8.45- home, feed dd4, tidy kitchen from breakfast, put washing on, tidy toys, have another coffee while dd3 and dd4 play

10am put dd4 down for sleep, vacuum, fold and put away washing from yesterday, put current load into dryer and another load on (if needed), make morning tea for dd3

11.30am stuff around, maybe bake something for school lunches

12.30 make lunch for dd3

1.30/2pm dd4 wakes, give her some lunch/a bottle, play with kids

2.30 pick dd3 up from kindy

3.00 pick dd1 up from school

3.15 afternoon tea, kids play outside, i sit down and relax for a bit

5.00 start cooking dinner

5.30 dinner, i eat mine while feeding dd4

6.30 dd3 in bath, dd1 and dd2 in shower

7.00 dd3 in bed, quiet play or movie for dd1 and dd2, bath dd4

7.30 dd2 in bed, tidy kitchen from dinner, tidy toys away

8.30 dd1 in bed, dd4 has a bottle and play, I watch tv

9.30 dd4 has bottle and bed

10.00 make school lunches for tomorrow, get uniform and clothes ready for school/kindy,

11pm i go to bed

During the week I tidy as I go then weekends I do a proper clean. I vacuum and mop after kids are in bed on saturday night. Older girls tidy their rooms once a week (no set day).
    Wow thanks pretty full on! Is your baby a good sleeper? Do things go pear shaped if she won't nap? Do you get out during school days at all, playgroup? Coffee? Thanks for sharing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBug'sMum View Post
    I have 3 kids and haven't worked out a good routine yet. School drop off and pick up just sucks so much time out of my day!
    My routine is a bit like yours, but baby doesn't have solids yet, so that saves me a bit! I'm going to do BLW this time around as I don't see myself getting time to make purees.
    My DH gets the older kids breakfast and gets them dressed and makes me a cup if tea before he goes to work. I've been making school lunch in the morning, but should probably do it the evening before.
    I generally don't have breakfast until I get home from school drop off and just make it big, so it is then breakfast and lunch!
    I do almost all my groceries online, or send DH to the supermarket on the weekend.
    I think things are about to get a whole lot harder for me when DS2 starts moving and starts solids...
    I love online shopping!! I decided this week to just go shops with bub, how hard could it be? Result is we're buying second fridge so I can do bigger online shops! I've had 4 trips to shops which involves the car seat hassles and have to carry groceries and bub from car to house as carport on street and our house set down 2 flights stairs - if I take bub first I've nowhere safe to leave the intrepid explorer!
    We semi did blw. But she had so many bad gags on food I think it's taken til now 8 months to realise she needs to chew! I tend to lightly mash what we have if I can and let her self feed with her hands but boy what a mess!!
    I thought about doing lunches at night but won't the sandwiches get soggy and apple pieces go brown? My kids are too fussy to risk playing around with their lunches, oh the joys of parenting, then my 5 year old had bad bump on his head and my only thought is despite the busy stressful days they are my world 😌

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (13-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Wow thanks pretty full on! Is your baby a good sleeper? Do things go pear shaped if she won't nap? Do you get out during school days at all, playgroup? Coffee? Thanks for sharing
    Yeah she is an excellent sleeper most of the time, although she is a night owl so doesnt go down for the night until around 9.30/10pm. Nope if she doesn't nap, she doesn't nap, i just carry on as usual. Although she is one of those babies who if she is tired enough will fall asleep anywhere lol. Im out and about most days, sometimes for an hour or so, sometimes all day (and most fridays we dont get home until after 10 as we go have dinner with family). If I am going out i usually drop kids at school, come home and do a quick tidy up from breakfast and out the door again. I try not to stress too much about house work, tidying as i go when i am home means there isnt really much to do anyway. The only time I really get stuck into it is fly in day for hubby, i like him coming home to a nice clean house (even if it only stays clean until he walks in the door lol). Sometimes i will have a mountain of clothes waiting to be folded, or crumbs on the floor.... it will still be there tomorrow so I will enjoy today lol.