+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default DIY Formula...

So this popped up in my news feed. What the actual..... this sounds so very dangerous! Honestly if i wrote what i thought of it, i would probably break the internet!

What are your thoughts?

https://www.stayathomemum.com.au/gue...-baby-formula/

**** lets keep this a mature and grown up discussion please****

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Omg! Is this chick for real?! I am somewhat flabbergasted! I don't even know what to say to be honest! Crazy crazy crazy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have read some stuff on stay at home mum and it usually seems reasonable but this is so freakin ridiculous!!!! Who in their right mind would think DIY baby formula is safe to give your bubba just to save a couple bucks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm all for making things from scratch but definitely not formula - my naturopath researched all the formulas and recommended a few she thought were better in regards to ingredients etc but never once recommended to make up one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    How frightening that people might be led into thinking this is a nutritionally complete supplement for their infant. It's one thing creating paleo recipes for older infants, an entirely different thing to label a broth as formula and encourage mums to nourish their young babies with this. I would go as far as saying that I don't believe they should have been allowed to publish such misguided rubbish. I sincerely hope nobody actually does this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (12-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default DIY Formula...

Well thankfully the 'Stay at home Mum' thinks it's a crock too! I'm really sick and tired of people who totally disregard many years of research, science etc and think that their way is superior. Unless you can incorporate all the health benefits of breast milk/formula into your homemade formula then I highly doubt it's a safe and nutritious substitute for a baby. Broths are usually quite salty too, so what long term damage could that do to immature kidneys? Will these babies fail to thrive because they're not getting adequate fat content from their "formula"? Let alone things like iron? calcium? Other essential vitamins and minerals?

ETA Did anyone else have to google who Wes actually was?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (12-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Oh dear!! I really hope no one thinks this is better than formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    omg. Not only is there a science to formula, but bone broth with chicken feet? What the actual F? Babies for a start, aren't meant to have meat until 6 months old. It isn't just about physically chewing, it's about the body processing the meat. So it doesn't matter if it's pureed to a liquid.

These are the idiots that make the 99% of the rest of us formula users look like fools

Thanks
    Reviews
    I heartily agree with the conversation about diy formula being a crock, but just wanted to point out that bone broth is just stock. So there's no meat in it. It's not a purée, you cook bones and veggies etc in water and then use the water. It's actually full of really beneficial nutrients. Chicken feet have a high concentration on gelatine etc and are gross to look at, but really good for bone broth