+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Primary school teacher question.

My son is in prep, his teacher seems great at the moment and I was just wondering while he is there 8.50-3.15pm everyday, will the poor thing (teacher!) get breaks (planning time) from the class other than lunch and recess?
    The other day I saw her teaching them sport. When I was in primary school (I'm not sure about prep) I had a different teacher for sport and drama. So looking back, I assume my teacher had her free times then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At my DD1's school she has the same teacher for class & sport but diff ones for library & music lessons so i guess her teacher gets other stuff done in those times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    All teachers get RFF teaching time for planning, marking, organising etc. it is not much however, about 2 hours total.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    In SA full time teachers get the equivalent of 50 mins per day (called Non Instructional Time). Every year I battle my principal dos I don't want to take it but she makes me :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Queen of Amazingtown View Post
    In SA full time teachers get the equivalent of 50 mins per day (called Non Instructional Time). Every year I battle my principal dos I don't want to take it but she makes me :-)
    That is great, I need to teach in SA. I suppose we get two full day to plan as well as the 2 hour blocks. But in NSW, we are missing out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've worked in schools where I got none! Or about 1 hr per week.
    My current school I get 3x50 minutes sessions per week release time when the kids have french, music and PE.
    It's good but it doesn't make up for the lunch duties.. meetings three times a week before school or the 2 staff meetings after school and sport coaching I do per week! !!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

New Hope  (11-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    So you gets nits every day? Ewwwwww! Sorry I just had to

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Really? Wow - 50 mins a day! In qld state school teachers get just less than 30 a day... Even then by the time you get your class to PE or music it's less.

To the OP. Sometimes in the lower school teachers choose to run a gross motor program so that they can observe any issues that the kids have and inform the physio/ OT and and get support for the child. These sessions are on top of the normal PE session

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] veve View Post
    Really? Wow - 50 mins a day! In qld state school teachers get just less than 30 a day... Even then by the time you get your class to PE or music it's less.

To the OP. Sometimes in the lower school teachers choose to run a gross motor program so that they can observe any issues that the kids have and inform the physio/ OT and and get support for the child. These sessions are on top of the normal PE session
    We have a pretty strong union. I think it's way too much to be honest. And we get paid the least, so, there's that... :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel like teachers get very little time to teach these days and are more tied up in red tape and policies. Everything seems to be under a microscope and there is so much pressure on the teachers and in turn the students. Last year in Prep they were strongly suggesting I put my curious child who couldn't sit still on dexamphetamine and they were filling out a behaviour book for him and other students blow by blow of all the issues he had all day. I came to the school and was like this thing is a piece of rubbish I don't even read it and it's a waste of the teachers time she could be teaching. I don't want to hear about the things my son does wrong anymore and i don't care if he fails at school… You teach him and he either learns or he doesn't I won't be involved… Surprise surprise he did much better after that because he didn't have so much pressure and the teacher wasn't feeling stressed about dealing with him.