+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do adults need a MMR booster?

I am vaccinated for MMR with 2 childhood doses. It makes me nervous that the first MMR dose for babies isnt until 12 months, especially with measles. I was thinking that the best protection i can offer my baby is to make surr i am protected from measles. I asked my GP if adults need a MMR booster, & she shrugged it off.

So i am wondering - has anyone had a MMR booster as an adult? Is it important? If so, why isnt it advertised as childhood vaccination is? I find it strange that we are so pedantic as a society about childhood immunisations, but adult boosters are ignored & not encouraged. I pushed to have my WC booster, but why is it not seen as important for adults too? Surely that means that the risk is low?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Could you go get your serology done and see if you are still immune?
    I only ever had the shots as a child and my serology showed I was still immune as an adult. I guess you'd only need a booster if for some reason you were no longer immune?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (11-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I started a nursing course last year and needed to have my immunisation status confirmed..

I was fully vaccd as a baby etc..

My blood tests showed that i was not immune to Measles,Hep B, Diptheria, whooping cough and i was horrified... I had no idea.. I just assumed I was covered.

so I have now been fully re- immunised and am covered but am not covered for Hep B despite having 6 full courses of the vaccine..apparently it is quite common not to be immune to Hep B..

My point is, If you are concerned for your coverage, , id go have a serology done and see what your immunity status

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (11-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you have a dose as a teenager? The last dose I had was when I was 15 (15 years ago) and I'm immune (results via blood test). I think the last one is the teenager dose and if you had the baby/childhood doses too in theory I think you should be immune.

Sorry this is OT but does anyone know if you can give your baby the MMRV prior to 12 months?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think there is a routine booster, but I have had my immunity checked and need to be re vaccinated.
    For the question about giving the vaccine early, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it can be given early, but as an extra, so you still need to give the 12 month one and the other (4yrs?).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes you probably need a booster. I'm not sure how often but they gave me one a few years back. I was fully vax'd as a kid

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadHatter View Post
    Yes you probably need a booster. I'm not sure how often but they gave me one a few years back. I was fully vax'd as a kid
    But wouldn't it depend on your serology? If the numbers are still good and you still have immunity, is there any point to having the booster? Obviously if your serology came back the other way and your immunity wasn't strong enough you'd have the booster.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're MMR immunity is routinely checked with each pregnancy, if you're low immune you will be given a booster post birth, as it can't be given while pregnant. Some people will never need a booster while some will need a booster with each baby. Everyone holds immunity differently.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3bubbys For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (11-02-2015),HollyGolightly81  (11-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had my levels checked when I was pregnant and I was covered but on the lower side so my GP said to get a booster which I had when DS had his 4 year old one but my SIL who is ten years younger than me had no immunity and also had to get a booster so as pp said everyone is different

It's annoying as I have no idea why they don't push adult boosters - yes most pregnant women will find out but the men don't! Over 60% of the measles cases last year were over the age of 15 so it's obviously a problem - I just don't know why they are not pushing it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It definitely needs to be checked every few years.
    I don't hold immunity very well at all and have to have most vacs yearly.