+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone seen naturopath/acupucturist (not TTC/preg related?)

Have you seen a naturopath or an acupuncturist for a health reason which has not had anything to do with TTC/pregnancy?

I have IBD and my doctor told me today I am flaring again so I'm back on the steroid bandwagon . I am really skeptical of naturopaths, acupuncture not as much but I don't want to go see someone and be "prescribed" herbs or be stuck with pins that do nothing and waste my time and money. My mum thinks I need to see someone to boost my overall health. I'm not so sure.

Anyone want to share any experiences?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I'd definitely go see a naturopath, have you done any research into IBD and diet? I have read sooo many stories of people who have improved or cured their IBD by cutting out certain foods. The biggest culprits seem to be gluten, dairy and sugar. You should google it. When I can commit to Paleo (gluten, dairy and sugar free) my anxiety is considerably less, I have more energy, I laugh more, my skin looks healthier. I strongly believe in curing or improving so many conditions through diet, and think the reason people are so sick these days (cancer, immune related diseases, diabetes etc) is due to our diet high in chemicals and toxins. I haven't looked into acupuncture or other natural treatments like that but I've heard lots of people having great success with them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I suffer from really bad tension headaches and migraines. I had a one off session at "Chi Link" which is a chain massage/acupuncture place here in Bris. It was a massage followed by acupuncture. My most recent headaches had been on my left side, so she just did the needles on the left side of my back, shoulder, neck and scalp. It was months before I had another headache on the left side. I truly felt it made a difference. More so than the acupuncture I had elsewhere for TTC haha.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (11-02-2015)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I saw an acupuncturist for restless leg during pregnancy.
    It made it worse! I was climbing the walls for 3 days afterwards!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I see a naturopath for a few things. I started off seeing her for TTC but discovered through blood tests etc that I have Hashimoto's and PCOS (no-one else had ever bothered to do the tests to find this out!). I also have an issue with my small intestine. She has been helping my thyroid issues (I can see the test result numbers changing so it's not just an "I feel better" situation) and my intestine issues. I can honestly say many of my symptoms I had before have disappeared.

I think you just need to find the right person.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (11-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    I saw an acupuncturist for restless leg during pregnancy.
    It made it worse! I was climbing the walls for 3 days afterwards!
    😱😱😱

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpicyTurtle View Post
    Oh I'd definitely go see a naturopath, have you done any research into IBD and diet? I have read sooo many stories of people who have improved or cured their IBD by cutting out certain foods. The biggest culprits seem to be gluten, dairy and sugar. You should google it. When I can commit to Paleo (gluten, dairy and sugar free) my anxiety is considerably less, I have more energy, I laugh more, my skin looks healthier. I strongly believe in curing or improving so many conditions through diet, and think the reason people are so sick these days (cancer, immune related diseases, diabetes etc) is due to our diet high in chemicals and toxins. I haven't looked into acupuncture or other natural treatments like that but I've heard lots of people having great success with them
    Yeah unfortunately IBD can't be cured by diet. I so so wish it was!!! I have seen the claims that people have "cured" their IBD but truthfully they would just be in remission and technically it could resurface at any time (even years later). Currently there is no cure but they're working hard on it. I know my trigger foods which can irritate me/make my flare symptoms worse, but avoiding them doesn't stop me flaring - proof being I'm back in a flare.

I do agree with you 100% that eating healthily and less processed foods are important for overall health and well being though