+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, we have had a few friends and family members ask this of us in recent years. I don’t have a problem with it at all – I actually think it’s a really responsible thing to do. The only time I was annoyed, was when SIL said we couldn’t come to visit her new bub until we had gone and had a booster – flat out saying no booster, no visits. Except that we had actually had it only 9 weeks previously to go overseas! In the end, we had to show her an immunisation record from our GP to prove that we didn’t need to go and get another one. I thought that was over the top. I actually used to work in communicable diseases (which SIL knows), so it’s something I know a fair bit about, and it's the kind of thing that is very important to me and DH – why on earth would we lie about it?

So it was her manner more than anything that gave me the sh!ts. If she had just said something like ‘Are you guys up to date with your whooping cough vaccination? We’re making sure that everyone is covered before visiting the baby.’ We would have been like ‘No worries, yes we are, we both just had it before we went to Malaysia!’ And that would have been the end of that.

Nowadays, when anyone we know has had a baby, I offer the information up straight away and say – ‘FYI DH and I are fully up to date with our WC boosters – just in case you are checking things like that’. And in my experience, people have appreciated not having to ask

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsChino For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (11-02-2015),KitiK  (11-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We asked our parents to get their whooping cough booster and they did it no worries. We didn't ask anyone else but they don't visit as often as the grandparents so didn't see the reason to ask friends, also most of them have their own children so are up to date anyway. We also asked any sick people to stay away until they were better which no one had a problem with anyway. If you make sure you keep people away with colds/coughs/flu etc you should be just fine.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My mum made a song and dance about it. I had to listen to 20 minutes of why it wasn't needed but in the end she went and got it done. It dawned on me it was because she felt offended by the suggestion, like she wasn't already immune to it. I knew it would be a sensitive issue but I also knew she would agree to do it. Kinda annoyed me that we had to have the 20 minute discussion about it though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleDove For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (11-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I asked my ob about this and he recommended that anyone who will have regular contact with the babies should get it so we have asked both sets of grandparents to get it - I just told them that it was what the obstetrician recommended and they were fine with it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phee83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually, I think my mum was happy about it as she took it to mean "we want you to visit the babies often therefore you need this"

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phee83 For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (11-02-2015),KitiK  (11-02-2015),LittleDove  (11-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone!! This is all really helpful!
    I don't remember it even coming up when my DS was born in 2000. So I'm glad that you have all clarified it.

I think that I will ask my OB about ways to approach this too.
    I have a very highly strung family, and I think that this will be an huuuuge issue for them to accept.... Sigh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Amgine just tell them due to the recent ressurgence of cases in Aust the OB has recommended that anyone close to the baby has thier immunisation up to date - alternatively offer to take them to the paed ward and see a baby with WC. Guarantee they would prefer not to be responsible for the transmission of wc to your baby - you can carry it and not be sick too is my understanding - a persistent and annoying breathless cough is a symptom. Immunity wanes and you need boosters for wc (i am pretty sure it is combined with tetnus these days so it is a bonus for them too). My nephews got wc when they were in their early teens and it wasnt nice, (they were immunised) it was only upon testing they realised.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (11-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I didn't ask anyone to get it because I'm not up to huge confrontations if they disagree. Mum got hers done because she works with children anyway and was with us when I got my booster. I couldn't even get DF to get a booster because he is scared of needles

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (11-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KitiK View Post
    @Amgine just tell them due to the recent ressurgence of cases in Aust the OB has recommended that anyone close to the baby has thier immunisation up to date - alternatively offer to take them to the paed ward and see a baby with WC. Guarantee they would prefer not to be responsible for the transmission of wc to your baby - you can carry it and not be sick too is my understanding - a persistent and annoying breathless cough is a symptom. Immunity wanes and you need boosters for wc (i am pretty sure it is combined with tetnus these days so it is a bonus for them too). My nephews got wc when they were in their early teens and it wasnt nice, (they were immunised) it was only upon testing they realised.
    Thanks! That's a fantastic idea!!

I know it sounds stupid , because of course our baby's takes precedence, but boy oh boy can family be tough.

Oh gosh, the poor things!!! That's so dreadful! I'm glad they are ok now!!

Thanks for your advice!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Amgine For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (11-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    *baby's health