+ Reply to Thread

Default 10 month old suddenly crying at drop off

Hi ladies my 10 month old boy has been in daycare since he was 5 months old. He started with 2 days and has just started 3 days this year. He has always been fine with the morning drop off. I give him a kiss and leave. This week he has started crying and crawling after me when I drop him off. It is heart breaking. When I picked him up yesterday he was happily playing. I am sure this is just a normal stage and will hopefully pass?

Sounds like your little man is suffering separation anxiety he's just trying to let you know that he doesn't want you to leave, chances are as soon as you do leave he settles just fine. Have you asked the staff if he is settling ok after you leave? I have to agree with Nasim as awful as it sounds the quicker you leave the easier it will be for him, he will settle faster and more likely get used to the drop off routine again quite quickly. I have spent years working in childcare and I have seen a lot of children go through fazes of separation anxiety it is something that usually passes on it's own, I also found that it happens more with children who are in fewer days (1-2) I think the fact that you have increased it to 3 days should actually be beneficial in the long run as it creates a more constant routine.
    I know it's hard to see him upset but try not too stress too much I'm sure it will pass soon.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is a normal but realky sucky stage. I would go for a quick and efficient drop off but whatever you do, dont give in to the temptation to leave without saying goodbye. It makes it worse in the long run as it damages trust. Tell him, i will be back after lunch/sleep/afternoon tea. He may not understand now but if you keep it as consistent as possible he will settle. Then call them as many times as you need to ensure he is settling and put ur mind at ease. It really is heartbreaking to see them so sad.