+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sometimes it is really hard to keep it up to date if there is a lot of things going on. I would always scribe down a few things whilst kids are packing up.
    He sounds like he had a good day. The 4 incidents may have been all in recess or lunch not within class time. I would praise him for the successes he has achieved so far. Sounds like the book is working well for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks.
    I think they were in class. His hands (sometimes feet) just can't keep to himself!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Thanks.
    I think they were in class. His hands (sometimes feet) just can't keep to himself!
    Sounds like most children IMO. Best of luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by New Hope View Post
    Sounds like most children IMO. Best of luck.
    Then why is he the only one . Yesterday he just went up to a boy who was sitting in his chair and kicked him. Was it for attention? I don't know.
    Thanks for your input.

Oh I forget to mention that she said "We would have to have a meeting if it continues"
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 13-02-2015 at 16:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I bet he is not the only one, just the unlucky one who gets caught! It has happened in some of my classes, there is never just one child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Then why is he the only one . Yesterday he just went up to a boy who was sitting in his chair and kicked him. Was it for attention? I don't know.
    Thanks for your input.

Oh I forget to mention that she said "We would have to have a meeting if it continues"
    Please don't worry about a meeting - just say "that sounds great, I have a few things I'd like to discuss too"

eg: the consistency of the communication book, the use of positive reinforcement, perhaps he is bored,

She needs to use a range of strategies - not just dobbing on him to mum at the end of the day - sorry but I think you need to speak to the AP, she sounds inexperienced and may need support from leadership on this.

Keep things positive with your boy, it's only week 3!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

harvs  (13-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Please don't worry about a meeting - just say "that sounds great, I have a few things I'd like to discuss too"

eg: the consistency of the communication book, the use of positive reinforcement, perhaps he is bored,

She needs to use a range of strategies - not just dobbing on him to mum at the end of the day - sorry but I think you need to speak to the AP, she sounds inexperienced and may need support from leadership on this.

Keep things positive with your boy, it's only week 3!
    You know what, I'm kinda glad that I'm not picking him up every day next week. That way I can avoid to hear the "bad" stuff in front of Ds. I might just go through the positives in the book with him.
    Even if she calls to "Dob" I might not even bring it up with him. Maybe it's making it worse? I might just tell him to remember to be gentle and hands off (instead of saying, you did this, this and this).
    What do you think?

Ps- she did say throughout the day she is giving him good / positive feedback, so that's good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had this same problem when our DS started prep. We were pulling our hair out.

In the end we worked out that he was doing it for attention. He went from a big fish in a small pond (kindy) to a small fish in a big pond and didn't know how to get the others attention when there was so much going on around him.

After about 4 weeks of trying star charts, talks after school and anything else we could think of I worked out that a star chart reward wasn't immediate enough for him to make it worthwhile to change his behaviour.

So, for 2 weeks I did a reward each day that he was dying for. The first day he could sleep in my bed (DH got evicted!!), the second day we went for a milkshake after school and so on. Each morning I told him the reward and each afternoon I would collect him and from that first day he came bursting out with a smile on his face yelling that he would get the reward!

After that I did a reward every 2 days, then 3 etc and about a month after we first started we stopped them.

We also combined this with telling him ideas on how to get the kids attention that suited him - ie saying something funny.

I know it's a really tough time, but I promise you it is most likely just a phase. From talking to other mums it is quite common - it is a big leap to big school so you can't expect there to be no side effects on a 5/6 year old.

I did get a bit of perspective from my GP who said to me "But Gizmo - he's 5. He's just a baby. He's still learning"

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo View Post
    We had this same problem when our DS started prep. We were pulling our hair out.

In the end we worked out that he was doing it for attention. He went from a big fish in a small pond (kindy) to a small fish in a big pond and didn't know how to get the others attention when there was so much going on around him.

After about 4 weeks of trying star charts, talks after school and anything else we could think of I worked out that a star chart reward wasn't immediate enough for him to make it worthwhile to change his behaviour.

So, for 2 weeks I did a reward each day that he was dying for. The first day he could sleep in my bed (DH got evicted!!), the second day we went for a milkshake after school and so on. Each morning I told him the reward and each afternoon I would collect him and from that first day he came bursting out with a smile on his face yelling that he would get the reward!

After that I did a reward every 2 days, then 3 etc and about a month after we first started we stopped them.

We also combined this with telling him ideas on how to get the kids attention that suited him - ie saying something funny.

I know it's a really tough time, but I promise you it is most likely just a phase. From talking to other mums it is quite common - it is a big leap to big school so you can't expect there to be no side effects on a 5/6 year old.

I did get a bit of perspective from my GP who said to me "But Gizmo - he's 5. He's just a baby. He's still learning"

Good luck

Ah thank you.
    Was the reward only for a day with no incidents at all? Because that's too hard for my Ds, if he does something bad in the morning he knows he's stuffed up, so is bad the rest of the day. IYKWIM.
    That's why I wanted the communication book, to reward him with a star for every posited comment. But I could make it a treat / something special too.

I have no idea why he does it, sometimes he's angry with another child (they may have done something) or it's random. I'll try to tell him other ways to get their attention.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our DS was having multiple incidents per day as well. I would go into class and have the kids line up to tell me how my DS kicked/hit them. It was terrible.

For my DS, it was a matter of finding his currency. The rewards to him were worth behaving all day for. Maybe we were just lucky, but even as a just turned 5 year old he had enough self control to stop when it was worth his while doing so.