+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Has anyone been to Airlie Beach for a holiday?

if so,what is it like there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Disappointing and I wouldn't recommend it. Airlie is good to visit for maybe 1 day...but it's really the gateway to the Whitsundays more than its own attraction.

I used to live an hour from Airlie, so I went a lot (to get a ferry to the islands) and it's totally overrated. For one, there isn't even a "beach". There's a small strip of sand where you can hire paddle boards. Or a man-made chlorine lagoon (which we would call the "immaculate conception pool" - ladies enter if you dare! 😝)

Basically it's a back-packers delight and good for people aged 18-26 (Do you like foam parties and wet t-shirt comps? That is the clientele).

If you're going to make the trek to Airlie, I would say go and have some drinks at a bar (one good thing is there is usually a decent live music playing somewhere), check out the shops, then make a bee-line for the ferry terminal and zip straight to Hamilton Island. It's amazing, you'll have the time of your life! Great for families or for child-free groups/couples. It's one of my favorite places

Or if you have to make Airlie your destination, I would recommend a self-contained hotel high on the hill away from town with it's own pool and stay there away from the back-packer rat-race, unless that is what you are looking for.

That's my 2 cents

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a few times and I quite enjoyed it. We lived in Mackay for a few years so we went there quite a bit. We did a week at Hamilton Island and I found it the food to be ridiculously expensive. I also found the service to be very poor. After that I preferred to stay at Airlie and do day trips to the islands. We have stayed at Pinnacles and Peppers in a self contained unit. It's handy because there is a woolies and we could buy food to have at the unit. I also found that there were many more meal choices and you could have cheaper meals if you wanted to. The last trip we did was 7 days and we did two day trips to the islands.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    eeewwww
    Yep! Lots of night-time shenanigans go on in the lagoon. I would cringe when I saw kids and toddlers playing in the lagoon during the day. And awkwardly it's one of the main town attractions...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Explora View Post
    Yep! Lots of night-time shenanigans go on in the lagoon. I would cringe when I saw kids and toddlers playing in the lagoon during the day. And awkwardly it's one of the main town attractions...
    lol omg gross! thx for the heads up!!! hahaha.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

Explora  (08-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Airlie is beautiful, but yes more catered towards backpackers etc. Dh grew up there, i grew up in mackay (about 2 hrs south) and we lived there for a few years. There are plenty of things to do, like island hopping, whitehaven beach, plus the many spots around the area like Cedar Creek, Conway, Dingo Beach etc. If you reallt wanted to explore you could head to the Pioneer Valley and Eungella, its absolutely stunning. Bit of a drive but totally worth it!