+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a bit on the fence but looking at the bigger picture I wondered the same AQoA about the father.
    Although realistically how much longer does this go on for? They have had 6 children removed - which will be for good reasons. It isn't fair to expect children to continue to go through that.
    I think in an extreme case like this (at least I hope it is considered extreme) it sits better with me that the parents are sterilized than more kids be born with inadequate care and having to be removed from home.

None of which changes the fact that she most likely won't survive another one.
    The entire situation is terribly sad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Court to consider forced sterilisation of mother of 6

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Wtf. She has had all of her six kids removed from her care. Her and her partner are obviously not managing well. Time to think of the children ffs..!!
    Huh???

I don't think you've read my posts.

I think she should be sterilised.

I was exploring why I don't think her being 'committed' is a solution.

There aren't actually any children to think of currently. Hers have been removed and adopted out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You can't "commit" people for having autism or a low IQ.

No doubt she shouldn't have kids.

The bigger problem is the state of a system that is meant to care and protect people with a disability.

If all other less invasive options have been explored then yes sterilisation should be considered. It should not be seen as a go to solution for people with disabilities. Which in previous decades it has been grossly over abused, especially for young women.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Far out. . You don't just 'commit' people because they are intellectually impaired.

Sadly... This is a fault in the health and disability system I believe. Had this couple been properly supported in an independent living situation she may not have put her health and her children's health at risk. Sadly, forced sterilization is a fine line to cross.. But I can see the point of view. Also I'd like to see the partner be 'forced' into sterilization too then. Responsibility doesn't just lie with her. Where was the intervention earlier.?. To support this couple who obviously want to be together and teach them about reproductive health?

Unfortunately this is a huge fear faced by parents of children who have a disability. What happens when we can't continue to support our kids into adulthood and beyond? What if I die? Who will take care of my DD? This is where the welfare system should be stepping up to take care of our vulnerable... Those who can't 'take care' of themselves without support. 'Committing' them? Really? Do we live in the dark ages? I would be horrified if my DD as a adult was forgotten about in some institution.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Had this couple been properly supported in an independent living situation she may not have put her health and her children's health at risk.
    How much support can you really give though? Even if a social worker visited them everyday, its not like he could stop them having s3x. They are interested in babies, not being parents.

There would be no issue with them living independently if they had any interest in their previous children, which they dont. Its not like they are a struggling couple who just need a hand, they actually dont understand that 1. They are not caring for their children and 2. She physically may die if she carries another. What about the children they keep having...do they cook for them? Send them to school? Buy uniforms? Help with homework? Bathe them?

Im sorry but i dont believe anyone (no matter what mental capacity) who believes its fine to give birth at home using a pair of BBQ tongs should be having children.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

peanuthead  (08-02-2015),VicPark  (08-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    How much support can you really give though? Even if a social worker visited them everyday, its not like he could stop them having s3x. They are interested in babies, not being parents.

There would be no issue with them living independently if they had any interest in their previous children, which they dont. Its not like they are a struggling couple who just need a hand, they actually dont understand that 1. They are not caring for their children and 2. She physically may die if she carries another. What about the children they keep having...do they cook for them? Send them to school? Buy uniforms? Help with homework? Bathe them?

Im sorry but i dont believe anyone (no matter what mental capacity) who believes its fine to give birth at home using a pair of BBQ tongs should be having children.
    Did you read my post? I never said it was okay for bbq tongs to be used in giving birth.

But yes. ...social workers could have visited. Carers could be in place to make sure perhaps that she take the pill to stop pregnancy. Or if she was pregnant proper care could be administered and the babies properly cared for and maybe adopted. I'm just throwing out ideas. Any number of things could have occurred before it got to this point. That's the problem. Our society turns the other way and doesn't step in for intervention until these things become critical.

Mainly because we don't value people like we should, regardless of their intellect. Case in point with the poster who said she should be committed.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    @Tamtam your post broke my heart. I have had a couple of students where I fear for their future because their IQ is too low (not saying your daughter's is) to function in society. I wonder what will happen after their parents pass away. You know, will they get ripped off when receiving change? Will they be taken advantage of sexually? How will they find work or drive (especially in the country)?

I'm so sorry for you to have to endure those thoughts about your own child. I agree with you - we need to find a way for society to support these people in a respectful and non-degrading way. I actually do believe forced sterilization is degrading, fwiw, but in this particular scenario it does seem to be the best option. As you say, I just hope all other avenues of support have been exhausted before resorting to this.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-02-2015),beebs  (08-02-2015),Tamtam  (08-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Did you read my post? I never said it was okay for bbq tongs to be used in giving birth.

But yes. ...social workers could have visited. Carers could be in place to make sure perhaps that she take the pill to stop pregnancy. Or if she was pregnant proper care could be administered and the babies properly cared for and maybe adopted. I'm just throwing out ideas. Any number of things could have occurred before it got to this point. That's the problem. Our society turns the other way and doesn't step in for intervention until these things become critical.

Mainly because we don't value people like we should, regardless of their intellect. Case in point with the poster who said she should be committed.
    I never said you said that was ok in your post. I said it was not ok.

No way the court system would jump straight to forced sterilization without trying other avenues first. The fact of the matter is some people are not equipped to be parents. This would have been an ongoing case that would have had to jump through many hoops to get to this point.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (08-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Queen of Amazingtown View Post
    @Tamtam your post broke my heart. I have had a couple of students where I fear for their future because their IQ is too low (not saying your daughter's is) to function in society. I wonder what will happen after their parents pass away. You know, will they get ripped off when receiving change? Will they be taken advantage of sexually? How will they find work or drive (especially in the country)?

I'm so sorry for you to have to endure those thoughts about your own child. I agree with you - we need to find a way for society to support these people in a respectful and non-degrading way. I actually do believe forced sterilization is degrading, fwiw, but in this particular scenario it does seem to be the best option. As you say, I just hope all other avenues of support have been exhausted before resorting to this.
    I agree. It does seem like the best option.
    I have no idea what the future holds for my DD and how she will develop. ... From a parent point of view. ...I actually think that I would give the pill to my DD and perhaps consider sterilization as sad as that is. .. If she's too impaired to make good judgements about this stuff. Sadly.

On the other hand. .. There are many people out there having kids that perhaps shouldn't. .... Not wanting to get flamed for that but that's true too. People are not intellectually impaired and just make bad decisions. Should they be sterilized?

Is not black or white kind of thing. Case by case for sure though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No to forced sterilisation of women under any circumstances.

No court on this earth should have the power to surgically interfere with any woman's reproductive organs.

Surely we as a society can create a better solution than this such as increased care/social work input.

She is not a feral cat, and should not be treated this way, I think its a violation of human rights.
    Last edited by Butterfly39; 08-02-2015 at 09:10.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Butterfly39 For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (08-02-2015)