+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    [QUOTE

They should also sort out their disability care so that this woman wasn't lost in the system for her last 6 pregnancies!!! Someone should have caring for her and ensuring that she was having antenatal care and not birthing at home!![/QUOTE]

I do agree with this bit

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Long term contraception such as mirena or an implanon sounds like a better option.....

They should also sort out their disability care so that this woman wasn't lost in the system for her last 6 pregnancies!!! Someone should have caring for her and ensuring that she was having antenatal care and not birthing at home!!
    This.

There are less invasive ways to manage this which should be explored.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would assume that whoever helps her with her decision making now has explored other contraception in the past and it has either failed or she has not been compliant with it.

Having forced sterilisation done is a huge huge thing. Even someone who wants to be sterilised but lacks capacity has to go through a court hearing.

This would be a last ditch effort after everything else has failed I am sure of it.

And committed for what @VicPark?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post

And committed for what
    @VicPark?
    I kinda agree with VicPark. Being committed into a care facility (even a village type deal where patients have their own private flat Things and are self sufficient but have supervision care via nurses/support workers and carers) could be a possibility that would save the trauma of a forced sterilization. DHs cousin was born with a few mental disabilites but they were almost unnoticeable bar a bit of erratic behaviour and a fairly low IQ. I never met him when he was younger or "normal" as DH says because in his teenage years and early 20s he became the "taste tester" for a bad crowd. By 19 he was injecting,snorting and smoking whatever they put in front of him and due to bad drugs (DH also believes they probably gave him random chemicals as a joke) he is completely ruined, his IQ and general intelligence was beyond low and he was a danger to himself and others, has HIV and Hep C, and while he still has the ability to make choices, he needed better care. It was hard putting into a care facility but he loves it. He has his own private room with kitchen, bathroom and small deck but also has constant care and supervision too. He checks out the nurses and visits the "grocery store" and has outings.

Im not saying this is the solution but the risk she is puttinf herself and any future babies in is to much for nothing to bed done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I would assume that whoever helps her with her decision making now has explored other contraception in the past and it has either failed or she has not been compliant with it.

Having forced sterilisation done is a huge huge thing. Even someone who wants to be sterilised but lacks capacity has to go through a court hearing.

This would be a last ditch effort after everything else has failed I am sure of it.

And committed for what @VicPark?
    For being so mentally Ill you are a risk to yourself and/or others even though you have not yet committed a crime. Think Britney Spears at her worst or Quinn from
    bold and the beautiful.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Court to consider forced sterilisation of mother of 6

Thanks for your thoughts.

I think I'm like Delirium, I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I'm just wondering though, given that five of the children have the same father and they are in a long term relationship, surely a forced vasectomy is/should be on the cards as well?

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (07-02-2015),beebs  (08-02-2015),BettyW  (07-02-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (08-02-2015),TheGooch  (07-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    For being so mentally Ill you are a risk to yourself and/or others even though you have not yet committed a crime. Think Britney Spears at her worst or Quinn from
    bold and the beautiful.
    Well there we go. I swear I spend most of my time typing jibberish then noticing someone else who said it better.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't read any replies yet, but while I was reading the article I just kept thinking, "yeah, ok, but its she a good mother??" because that would determine my opinion... Until I reached this paragraph:

"All six of her children, aged between six months and 12 years, have been taken into care, with five formally adopted"

So my thoughts are, as terribly sad and heartbreaking as it is, it (sterilisation) is for the best.
    Also, it sounds like the poor woman had suffered through post natal psychosis with two of her pregnancies. Devastating.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 08-02-2015 at 07:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is she mentally ill? You can't use the mental health act to detain people of low IQ who are making poor choices. I don't know that Autism would come under the Mental Health Act.

If she's living OK independently in all other areas and just not making good health choices I doubt a guardian would be appointed to choose her housing. When a Guardian is appointed its not for all decisions; health, financial, housing choices all assessed separately.

It sounds like she has a long term partner, if they are managing well in the community and the pregnancy issue is the only problem there's no need or even any way she could be institutionalised and nor should there be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Court to consider forced sterilisation of mother of 6

Is she mentally ill? You can't use the mental health act to detain people of low IQ who are making poor choices. I don't know that Autism would come under the Mental Health Act.

If she's living OK independently in all other areas and just not making good health choices I doubt a guardian would be appointed to choose her housing. When a Guardian is appointed its not for all decisions; health, financial, housing choices all assessed separately.

It sounds like she has a long term partner, if they are managing well in the community and the pregnancy issue is the only problem there's no need or even any way she could be institutionalised and nor should there be.
    Wtf. She has had all of her six kids removed from her care. Her and her partner are obviously not managing well. Time to think of the children ffs..!!
    Last edited by VicPark; 07-02-2015 at 22:50.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

heplusme  (07-02-2015)