+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    to the person who just told me not to do research, for all the posts you just put up you didn't actually answer any of my questions but instead told me that I should and should not do. You are really annoying go post elsewhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not claiming I am informed nor will I carry out my own research. I am claiming I am **** scared and confused. All the armchair experts telling me to calm down and jab my child are or little help here. My nephew had a seizure within 12 hrs of his MMR. However he was messed up from day one. How do I know that my child wont have the same seizure??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babybloom View Post
    I'm not claiming I am informed nor will I carry out my own research. I am claiming I am **** scared and confused. All the armchair experts telling me to calm down and jab my child are or little help here. My nephew had a seizure within 12 hrs of his MMR. However he was messed up from day one. How do I know that my child wont have the same seizure??
    Was your child messed up from day one? ie, does your child have pre-existing medical conditions that contraindicate vaccinations?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't blame you for being scared.
    Your best option is to go through your concerns with your GP and, hopefully, get some reassurance. If your current GP fobs you off again, find another that WILL listen. Afterall, GPs should be encouraging vaccinating and that includes reassuring patients and giving the correct information when requested.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (08-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP - I can understand being scared. I'm a firm supporter of vaccinations, and even I find it scary taking my kids in for their vaccinations. It's one of those things where I have to let my head take over and keep my emotional side in check.

Measles is still around. There are still regular outbreaks. By vaccinating I can protect my child from the very real risk or measles (and rubella which is also still around). The chances of a child catching measles and suffering serious side effects from it is greater than the chances of serious reactions to the vax. Therefore, it is safer to vaccinate than not - and everyone wants their child to be safe.

I take a big breath, be brave, and vaccinate. That's how I manage the nerves.

As for strains - I believe there is constant research going on trying to combat the emergence of new strains. That's why it's so important to vaccinate! If we can eradicate measles then there won't be enough of it around to mutate into new strains.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (08-02-2015),~Marigold~  (08-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The truth is, you don't. Your doctor doesn't.
    The same way none of us know if we are going to be hit by a car crossing the street today.

Was the seizure caused by the vaccine (did medical professionals say this)?
    My sister had a seizure after her MMR, but she had had them before, and did again. So it's unlikely it was the MMR that caused it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    http://www.cfr.org/interactives/GH_Vaccine_Map/#map
    it's a big question, and after you posted i went digging, elijahs's mums post is probably the best answer you are going to get. There are some medical books that explain it, but it is all in scientist speak, so not sure if it is really that helpfull? It was certainly over my head and I've read a lot about vaccines over the years. I can post a link if you like though. leaving strains aside for a moment, as it stands now, the measles component of the mmrv has a 99% protection rate with two doses. In vaccine terms that is about as high as you can get, it is one of the best vaccines in terms of immunity that we have. I can understand why you feel scared, after what happened to relative. It is rare though and statistaccly speaking the chances of it happening to anyone are very, very low. If you look at the complications from measles they are not low at all. That is why I vaccinate, I look at the rate of vaccine reactions compared with vpd reactions.measles are and other vpds are coming back in a big way, in the past it may have seemed safe enough to not vaccinate, but in the last few years things have changed. I want to stress to you, I am not trying to change your mind, but I think you are on the right track wanting to make an informed decision. Here is a link to an interactive map that shows worldwide outbreaks, note the amount of outbreaks in western countries with relatively high vax rates. Good luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (08-02-2015)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    This is from the WHO site:

http://www.who.int/biologicals/vaccines/measles/en/

Measles virus is an enveloped, ribonucleic acid virus of the genus Morbillivirus. Although at least 20 different genotypes have been isolated in various parts of the world, there is only one serotype. Measles is highly contagious, and an infected person will often transmit the virus to over 90% of unprotected close contacts.
    I read this to mean that the vaccine should be effective for all strains of measles. If there was more than one serotype then they would need multiple vaccines.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I must say, i am quite disappointed by some of the responses to the op's question. I am very pro vax, and some of the most in depth info that i have learned about vaxxing is from reading BH threads. Of course i chat to my GP, but honestly, she had 10 minutes for my appointment. She doesnt have time to sit thete discussing vaxxing in depth as what i have seen discussed on BH. I think its really important to be able to discuss our concerns with each other, give any info we have from REPUTABLE sources, and answer questions the best we can. Otherwise anti vaxxers will never change their opinion.

OP I am a 'details' person too - i like to know the facts, good on you for seeking out this info. I completely understand your fears, and i hope you get the answers you seek, from a reputable online source, or your GP. I would encourage you to perhaps find info if you can on the rate of complication from measles, as opposed to the rate of adverse reaction from vaxxing. Also the efficacy of the measles vax & the likelihood of catching measles when exposed to it.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (08-02-2015),atomicmama  (08-02-2015),beebs  (08-02-2015),Ra Ra Superstar  (08-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 21 types of measles, does MMR cover them all?

I'm happy every time an anti vaxer thinks about changing their views. It's very brave. I seriously worry about this trend of not vaccinating and fear it will breed some mutated monster virus that nothing an protect us from.

I worry about this GP of yours, OP. They were given the chance to change the mind of an anti vaxer and they blew it. Since you're obviously worried about this, I'd skip the GP. Tell them you're worried your son has a condition that's a contraindication go vaccines because of your nephew and ask for a referral to a paediatrician. The paediatrician will be on top of it and you should feel confident with them. Ask lots of questions.

Regarding your nephew though, a temporal connection to the vaccine does not make the vaccine a cause. Of course, since a vaccine can cause fevers, I suppose it's logical that they could cause febrile seizures, but these are generally harmless. Give some preventative Panadol if you're worried. If the seizures were epilepsy or something, it wouldn't be vaccine related.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-02-2015),MissMuppet  (08-02-2015)