+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default WWYD public pool etiquette

Its been a while since we have had a WWYD thread and i just had the perfect circumstance to ask...

I was at the local pool tonight to do some aqua running, im 16 weeks preg and cannot run on the road anymore as i get dizzy. I get to the pool and notice there is heaps of kids in the two laned areas rather then being in the open area of the pool. Thinking its past 7pm, they will head home soon, I hop in a laned area and begin running up and down, dodging kids jumping on my head and splashing me while jumping over my lane again and again. Now while still calm i have to admit i was getting to the end of my tether.

I get to the end of the lane and a 3ish year old boy, standing at the end of the lane outside of the pool, throws a rock hard plastic toy in my face! It was a toy seal with holes in it to fill with water so it fills up and sinks about the size of my fist. It also had point fins and flipper. As you can imagine i was shocked and hurt! His Mum was at the side of the pool but did not approach me.

WWYD? What do you think i did?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would've thrown the toy into the centre of the pool.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (06-02-2015),Oblena  (06-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would have told the mum her child threw something in my face and it hurt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Basing my decision on our local pool set up-I'm assuming that you were in the kids pool if you could run in it. At my pool, those lanes are for kids swimming lessons and once the lessons are over it's a free for all. So....
    I would have gone to the pool, realised it was too busy and swam some laps in the 50m pool until the kids pool was quiet enough for me to run.
    Had I taken the chance with the kids and got hit in the face with a plastic toy I probably would have said a profanity in my head and felt stupid for trying to exercise in a kids public pool when it was really busy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I would have just carried on annoyed (I'm not the confrontational type) or possibly complained to whoever was in charge of the pool, just a general complaint about the kids blocking the lanes, throwing toys, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I would have yelled ouch. Who threw that? Please be more careful that really hurt. And kept going with what ever I was doing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (06-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    Had I taken the chance with the kids and got hit in the face with a plastic toy I probably would have said a profanity in my head and felt stupid for trying to exercise in a kids public pool when it was really busy.
    Its the 25m heated pool, i dont 'think' its specifically for kids and at 7.30 at night there was no swimming lessons. The pool closes at 8, surely i am entitled to use the pool too, and at $8 entry i was going to! It wasnt that it was overly busy, just the same 5 or 6 kids kept jumping all over the lane rather then utilising the other 3/4 of the pool...the lane ropes are a fun toy i suppose.

This i was fine with, i get that they were having fun... I guess where i feel the issue relating to etiquette was the child actually pegged the toy at me at close range quite purposefully and the Mum didnt say a word iykwim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe mum didn't see. If she did I would have said 'hey bish, your monster child clocked me with this'. Ah, no not really. I wouldn't have. I would have probably laughed and said 'wow, your little one has a good arm. He just clocked me with this'. But being hurt usually doesn't phase me. Then rubbed my face and kept going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    I would say to the child not to throw the toy at peoples faces because you can hurt them. If they did it again I would take it further.

I don't think that the heated pool is for children, or adults. It's for everyone. Regardless of who is entitled to use that area, NO ONE is entitled (adult or child) to purposefully throw anything at anyone.

If my child did that I would immediately apologize profusely, be extremely embarrassed and yank my kid outta that pool and straight home!

Hope your face is okay! Don't be discouraged.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (07-02-2015),LoveLivesHere  (06-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    What a terrible attitude to have!!! The kid purposefully threw a toy at her head!!!! Absolutely nothing gives children the right to throw things at other peoples heads regardless of whether or not OP was in a "kids" area. Shame on the mother for not saying anything either.

I'm guessing you then would be okay with your children throwing toys at other people (children or adults) heads - because that's there fault for being in a kids area?
    Calm down. Seriously. I said I was basing my response on my local pool set up. Not wanting to confront a mother or discipline someone else's child doesn't mean I'm okay with my children throwing toys at people. Stop overreacting and take your bad mood somewhere else please.
    Last edited by Full House; 07-02-2015 at 07:32.