+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Fussy eaters

Hello all, I have a very fussy 8month old. She will only eat the following.
    Spinach risotto (spinach, oil, onion and rice with a little pasta sauce)
    And maybe chicken mixed into it, all puréed.

Totally hates other veggies. She won't eat meat and yesterday she had some egg (on tray)
    I try to steam veggies and give it tray.

She will munch on toast.

Yogurt and fruit

That's it. She's not gaining much weight at all. She has her bottles though.

I have recipes books and apps, but she is not interested.

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    She's still very young, just keep offering lots of different foods and don't stress about how much she eats. Food isn't as important as milk at this age. Make food no-stress and she will be fine

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (06-02-2015),Nafsika  (06-02-2015),Starfish30  (06-02-2015)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi nafsika, you say she is not gaining much weight? that is different from failing to thrive. if she is gaining some weight, and has energy, and plenty of wet nappies, she is basically doing ok. 8 months is quite young to be managing to eat everything. I would just keep offering everything from your plate. whatever you are having, a little mashed potato, mashed banana, some finger foods, a bit of everything, and of course the bottles. try to only introduce one new food at a time, and it will often take many goes before a new food is accepted. don't worry about puree-ing everything. different textures is also important. marie.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (06-02-2015),Nafsika  (06-02-2015),Starfish30  (06-02-2015),WiseOldOwl  (06-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Just keep offer lots of new foods. She is still only little. Offer the same things over and over too.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Nafsika  (06-02-2015),Starfish30  (06-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As PP have said just keep offering different foods but don't reduce any bottles yet. BM or formula should still be her main food, solids are just an extra at that age.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

Nafsika  (06-02-2015),Starfish30  (06-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The health nurse told me good is more important. Soo confusing. She's getting longer. She's on the low percentile. I have plenty of wet n ditsy nappies. She's a very happy baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Agree with others - she is still quite young & getting used to this whole solids gig.

I believe in the phrase "food is for fun until they're one". Just keep offering a healthy variety of foods. Sometimes it takes a few offerings of the same food before they'll try it/eat it.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (06-02-2015),Nafsika  (06-02-2015),Starfish30  (06-02-2015)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    The health nurse told me good is more important. Soo confusing. She's getting longer. She's on the low percentile. I have plenty of wet n ditsy nappies. She's a very happy baby
    did the nurse say 'food' was more important.? don't reduce the bottles, and just keep offering the foods. babies will get used to the different food, and gradually eat more, but it is still important for your young bub to have the milk. are you mixing the formula to the right strength? I don't know, is the scale for bubs weight or age?? at this stage, the milk is the primary food, and the solids will gradually become more accepted by bub. marie.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Nafsika  (06-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    did the nurse say 'food' was more important.? don't reduce the bottles, and just keep offering the foods. babies will get used to the different food, and gradually eat more, but it is still important for your young bub to have the milk. are you mixing the formula to the right strength? I don't know, is the scale for bubs weight or age?? at this stage, the milk is the primary food, and the solids will gradually become more accepted by bub. marie.
    The nurse said food. I know it's confusing. I'm not stopping her milk. I don't mix her food with the formula.

We are having pasta tonight. I'll put some on her tray and see how we go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to give my DS half a weetbix softened with hot boiled water(allow to cool a bit) then mix in some yoghurt/ milk. Makes smooth consistency and the yoghurt gives a nice taste and good calcium hit.

But everyone is right, there is great advice so far!! Babies should be exclusively fed milk until 6 months then foods are added bit by bit.

Also, my DS preferred to nibble things from my plate then be fed separately

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Amgine For This Useful Post:

Nafsika  (06-02-2015)