+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What food?

Ive finally got ds a place in daycare, starting in april. Its before i go back to work but im happy to take anything at this point.

Just wondering what i should send to daycare in terms of food?

He is not on solids because he just wont eat them. Ive tried for 2 months & im still trying, but we just dont seem to be getting anywhere. People keep telling me not to worry cause their baby didnt eat solids until 9/10/11 months & even then it was only a miniscule amount. He'll be 9 months old when he starts daycare.

I havent had any luck weaning him onto formula & going in there to breastfeed him is not an option. I have a good supply but i can never express enough to satisfy him.

So if he wont eat solids, he wont take formula & i cant express enough, what does he eat?

He'll be there from 6.30am-5/5.30pm three days a week, im not having him eating nothing that entire time, its not healthy.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi heartstringz. you still have a few months before you will be taking him to daycare. by nine months he could be well able to take a bottle or eat finger food. Does the center not provide food? I would just keep offering him bottles or a sippy cup, and I would be sure he will be ok once the time comes. perhaps the daycare can suggest what other children bring, and you could see if you could follow those ideas. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No they dont provide anything. It wasnt my preferred centre (the one i liked provides everything) but i just wanted to get him in somewhere cause we can always change him down the track if necessary.

I guess im just asking now in case there is anything i should be doing between now & then to make it easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Keep offering food and keep trying the bottle. Luckily you have a bit if time up your sleeve.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    You have a couple of months. Could you get a jump start on the expressing and get a frozen stash started as a safety buffer to take some pressure off you? That means you don't have to express his entire feed in one go. Just get what you can each time? And then in the mean time, keep trying with the introduction of solids and formula?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can try heavenblue, but what happens when the frozen stash runs out? Also when i have expressed in the past i stored it in sealed containers in the freezer & it still somehow picked up a freezer smell & ds refused to drink it.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    I can try heavenblue, but what happens when the frozen stash runs out? Also when i have expressed in the past i stored it in sealed containers in the freezer & it still somehow picked up a freezer smell & ds refused to drink it.
    What containers did you use to store it in?

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I would offer a mixture of purée and finger foods, too. I know you're not a fan of BLW, but in the end, babies don't give two hoots what *we're* interested in!
    Cut a carrot into sticks and cool until softened and try him with that once cooled. Cucumber sticks. Dip them in hommus to enhance the flavour. Roast some sweet potato sticks. You can put a little bit of seasoning on them before cooking, too.
    Make your own purées or buy a few different flavours/ brands from the shops. Who cares if they're not as good as homemade at the moment?
    Your ds will not be getting used to eating if he doesn't have the constant opportunity to try. Let him mash it, smear it, paint with it, rub it between his fingers and smoosh it on his face. He will eventually get some in his mouth, he will eventually swallow it, and the. He will just keep going.
    If I think back the two things dd chose to eat out of everything I offered her were cucumber sticks and nectarine.

The moral of the story is just keep offering everything!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (08-02-2015),Lincolns mummy  (06-02-2015),Tamtam  (06-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Nomsie View Post
    What containers did you use to store it in?
    This. But the stash shouldn't run out of you start now and continue expressing to keep a stock of milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used plastic tubs with a secure lid to freeze the em in.

I home make purees & have given him some bought stuff. I try him on it twice a day. He plays with the spoon & the plate/bowl & smears the food around but refuses to eat it.