+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Help real estate question!

We have sold our house. The contract went unconditional 3 weeks ago. There are no issues etc. It was a cash buyer. Settlement is Monday.
    I just got a message saying they want to do a final inspection tomorrow at which I said no. We are still trying to move out and tidy up. I said they could come Monday before settlement.
    They asked us to fix an exhaust fan that wasn't working and some down lights that needed new transformers. Which we did no problem. It did cost us.
    Now I've just been asked to fix a broken door handle on a cupboard. I didn't think this was even a issue. They have never mentioned it before.
    It sounds ridiculous but this door handle has been broken since we moved in 4 years ago. It's not an easy fix.
    Do I have to do this? They also want us to put news light bulbs in? ?!! Do I need to do this? Am I missing something here? ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My understanding is no, you dont have to do these fixes, the contract is unconditional and these are minor issues and will not stop settlement (may only delay it slightly) i have, in the past, upon selling, said no to similar issues (ie: a rangehood that wasnt working) but compromised on others ie: i will leave a new door handle and a few spare light globes - they can manage it from there, they must understand it is not a brand new house. Good luck tamtam.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (05-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unless it is in the contract you don't have to do it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That's what I thought.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nah don't worry about it. It's gone unconditional, if it was such an issue it should have been brought up prior to it going unconditional. When we sold our house the buyers at the final inspection complained that a fly screen had popped off on 2 corners :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tell them they're dreaming! No way would I do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OK. That's confirmed my thoughts. I've messaged our agent to say no basically. Things are as per the contract.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (05-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    OK. That's confirmed my thoughts. I've messaged our agent to say no basically. Things are as per the contract.
    Good! I'm shocked they are actually asking you to do and fix all this stuff!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Geez, I think they're a bit cheeky! Light bulbs & door handles?? Not really the sort of stuff most people would bother about when settling a house.

But yes, having worked in property settlements before, if it wasn't agreed upon prior to, or as a condition of, the contract then you're not obligated to do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know. I was shocked.
    Especially since it went unconditional 3 weeks ago. We've also been more than flexible with inspections for her. At a moments notice too.
    I know my DH though. .. He'll go get light bulbs and change them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

littlelove  (05-02-2015)