+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default WDYT- school lunch

With all the talk about healthy school lunches, i would love to get some other peoples thoughts on my kids usual lunch box fillers...

Dd1
    SNACK ATTACK (5 min healthy food break at 9.45)
    - banana OR orange OR grapes OR cherry toms OR apple

LUNCHBOX
    - 1x sandwich (usually peanut butter & honey OR ham & cheese)

- 1x homemade wholemeal banana muffin OR 1x homemade wholemeal cheese & ham muffin

- 1x container of cherry tomatoes & grapes

1× nut bar (instead of muslie bar) OR cheese stick

1× small tin spaghetti or baked beans

Dd2 (fussy eater)
    SNACK ATTACK
    - banana OR orange OR grapes OR apple

LUNCH BOX
    - 1× jam sandwich

- 1x yoghurt

- 1× homemade banana muffin OR homemade cheese muffin

-1x container grapes OR orange

-1x container rice crackers

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    your school lets you take nuts?

other than that I think its fine. I usually include an extra peice of fruit just in case DD is hungry, but essentially its sandwich, fruit, salad (she likes salad) and a small treat (buscuit/pancake/minimuffin etc. not chocolate or lollies)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

SheWarrior  (05-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    your school lets you take nuts?

other than that I think its fine. I usually include an extra peice of fruit just in case DD is hungry, but essentially its sandwich, fruit, salad (she likes salad) and a small treat (buscuit/pancake/minimuffin etc. not chocolate or lollies)
    Yep, they have no nut product restrictions! I was surprised as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well, initially I'm surprised by all the nuts in the lunch box, but I'm guessing there's not nut free policy at your kids school

I'm wondering if your DD2 would eat some protein at lunch instead of a jam sandwich? We don't eat lunch meat (too high in preservatives and we react to some of them so we just feel sick if we eat it). Lunch for my kids (just for ideas that might work) is either on wholemeal bread or a mountain bread wrap (watch wraps...lots of them have 282 in them, a preservative banned in other countries. Mountain bread does not have it) and can include fillings like - tuna (plain or flavoured) and salad with cheese or/egg/baby spinach leaves (instead of lettuce)/cheese. On a really hot day when I'm worried about tuna/egg going off I just stick with salad. I make lunches the night before so I have a bit more time to prepare the extra fillings. Mornings are too rushed!

I'm not sure on what's in tinned spaghetti because I've never eaten it...but it's just sauce and spaghetti right, and probably a few numbers thrown in so it has a long shelf life? I think between beans and spaghetti beans would be a better choice but someone might have more knowledge on it than me.

As for the cheese stick...is that the pre-packed cheese sticks that have been around forever? I remember looking at those and they had so many preservatives in them. You could switch that over to the Baby Bel Cheese, or even just cut up some cheese and pop in a container to make it a healthier snack option.

Also, have a look at the nut bar....a rule of thumb for me is that if I know what the ingredients are and they could all be found in my kitchen then I'm okay with my kids eating it...if it's a whole bunch of numbers and full of ingredients I can't even pronounce it stays on the shelf. I have noticed that all bars seem to be quite high in sugar, but I can overlook that when I know I won't be baking for a week or so.
    Carman's have some fairly reasonable school snack options...but they're not very cost effective.
    Last edited by Full House; 05-02-2015 at 10:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    Well, initially I'm surprised by all the nuts in the lunch box, but I'm guessing there's not nut free policy at your kids school

I'm wondering if your DD2 would eat some protein at lunch instead of a jam sandwich? We don't eat lunch meat (too high in preservatives and we react to some of them so we just feel sick if we eat it). Lunch for my kids (just for ideas that might work) is either on wholemeal bread or a mountain bread wrap (watch wraps...lots of them have 282 in them, a preservative banned in other countries. Mountain bread does not have it) and can include fillings like - tuna (plain or flavoured) and salad with cheese or/egg/baby spinach leaves (instead of lettuce)/cheese. On a really hot day when I'm worried about tuna/egg going off I just stick with salad. I make lunches the night before so I have a bit more time to prepare the extra fillings. Mornings are too rushed!

I'm not sure on what's in tinned spaghetti because I've never eaten it...but it's just sauce and spaghetti right, and probably a few numbers thrown in so it has a long shelf life? I think between beans and spaghetti beans would be a better choice but someone might have more knowledge on it than me.

As for the cheese stick...is that the pre-packed cheese sticks that have been around forever? I remember looking at those and they had so many preservatives in them. You could switch that over to the Baby Bel Cheese, or even just cut up some cheese and pop in a container to make it a healthier snack option.

Also, have a look at the nut bar....a rule of thumb for me is that if I know what the ingredients are and they could all be found in my kitchen then I'm okay with my kids eating it...if it's a whole bunch of numbers and full of ingredients I can't even pronounce it stays on the shelf. I have noticed that all bars seem to be quite high in sugar, but I can overlook that when I know I won't be baking for a week or so.
    Carman's have some fairly reasonable school snack options...but they're not very cost effective.
    In regards to dd2 and protein... short answer is no. She is very fussy and will only eat peanut butter & honey (together, will not eat one on its own), or jam and the kindy she attends doesn't allow peanut butter. Anything other than those 2 things on a sandwich and she will not touch it.

As for the other stuff.... honestly Im not that fussed tbh. Its still a massive jump up from what they used to get so I am happy lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lil miss View Post

As for the other stuff.... honestly Im not that fussed tbh. Its still a massive jump up from what they used to get so I am happy lol.
    No worries You asked for people's thoughts and so I offered my thoughts

What about non sandwich lunch items for your DD2? Would she eat something savoury? Zucchini slice, fried rice, mini quiches etc?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

tazz475  (05-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aside from the fact that it seems like a lot of food (I don't have school kids yet) I don't see a problem with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but do your kids eat all that at school? My DS1 is a BIG eater and has just started school. Everyday some of his food comes home, he says he doesn't have time to eat it.
    Today I sent him with a tuna and lettuce sandwich, some blueberries and a tiny container of cherry tomatoes and cheese. And I expect some of that will come home.
    He is ravenous when he gets home though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sounds ok to me, I wish my 6 year old would eat some fruit like your children..

My 6 year old takes

Nothing for fruit break. I tried packing grapes, no luck. He's the only kid that won't eat fruit in his class. He has a bit of water instead.

Recess is a squeezie blueberry yoghurt (he hates it but his bestie eats it so he tries to too), a boiled egg and a babybel (no real colour involved )

Lunch is a sandwich on multigrain bread with shredded poached chicken made by me with cheese, small serve of baked beans in a little tub and a V8 juice.

It's so hard trying to get some goodness into him. He brings a lot home but gets no xbox time unless he eats a certain amount and does some decent outside exercise.

My 13 year old on the other hand has fruit, veg sticks, salad wraps, etc.. Loves the healthy stuff.

Feeding kids is so hard sometimes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And one suggestion I would make about your fussy eater is have you tried making your own jam, without added sugar? I use a cup of frozen raspberries (or whatever fruit) and heat on the stove, simmer about 10 mins, you can then blitz in food processor to make it smooth and add about 1 tablespoon of chia seeds (these make it set).
    Store in the fridge.
    It's not very sweet, but my kids like it (I don't give them store bought jam though)
    You could maybe add some honey or sugar to sweeten to begin with, then gradually reduce.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (05-02-2015)