+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracie's Mum View Post
    I wish I could be like you food mummies! Cooking, baking and food is just so not my thing and I wish it was. These threads are so valuable to me for inspiration. Thank you. So wish I could be a foodie mum and love being in the kitchen. I'll fake it til I make it lol.
    I hate being in the kitchen! What I do love is lists so I put it on my list and then I have to get to it so I can cross it off my list. With meals, I meal plan so that I have set things to cook each night and I work it around my week eg. If I'm going to be in and out one night I make a double batch of a meal one night and then freeze the left over so that I only need to remember to heat and serve. We don't eat fast food and this is what I started doing to work around the 'that night is really busy so we'll just call in to Macca's on the way home so we don't need to cook' routine that we did before we stopped eating fast food.

I also find that if it's a rainy day I'm more inspired to get in the kitchen. I love the outdoors, so if the weather is forcing me indoors I get stuck in to making things in the kitchen because I'm unlikely to do it on a beautiful day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    Ok DS2 isa suuuuuuuper fussy 2 year old. One thing he will always eat without fail - hot or cold - is fritters. Super easy and whatever vege I have on hand so for example:

Grated zucchini (squeeze out excess moisture which I save and put in to soups etc...)
    Grated carrot (as above)
    Frozen shredded spinach (fresh chopped is good but the frozen is easy to keep on hand)
    Corn kernels
    Peas
    1/2 cup Grated cheese

Pop all into a bowl add one egg, some milk and wholemeal (or whatever) flour until you get a thick pancake consistency. Drop spoonfuls into frying pan - I use coconut oil on the pan - turn once they look mostly set and brown otherside.

DS2 munches them down as I said hit from the pan or cold the next day. You can use any veges you have really.

The other thing he loves is multicolour hash browns.

Grated zucchini, carrot and sweet potato - squeeze out excess liquid, egg white to bind. I often add some parmesan cheese then shallow fry. Great hit or cold.
    This is an excellent idea, im going to give it a go for DS2. We've recently been told to try and get egg into him so anything that he might eat that contains egg is worth a try!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (05-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing! My DD starts kindy next year, and the other thread really got me thinking about what she will take. Seeing all the white bread hatred in there made me actually do some reading, and now I have changed her over to whole meal bread. Small steps! Will be sussing out this thread for ideas. DD loves her fruit but I've noticed it never fills her up, she doesn't like boiled eggs, need some more protein snack sort of ideas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    Ok DS2 isa suuuuuuuper fussy 2 year old. One thing he will always eat without fail - hot or cold - is fritters. Super easy and whatever vege I have on hand so for example:

Grated zucchini (squeeze out excess moisture which I save and put in to soups etc...)
    Grated carrot (as above)
    Frozen shredded spinach (fresh chopped is good but the frozen is easy to keep on hand)
    Corn kernels
    Peas
    1/2 cup Grated cheese

Pop all into a bowl add one egg, some milk and wholemeal (or whatever) flour until you get a thick pancake consistency. Drop spoonfuls into frying pan - I use coconut oil on the pan - turn once they look mostly set and brown otherside.

DS2 munches them down as I said hit from the pan or cold the next day. You can use any veges you have really.

The other thing he loves is multicolour hash browns.

Grated zucchini, carrot and sweet potato - squeeze out excess liquid, egg white to bind. I often add some parmesan cheese then shallow fry. Great hit or cold.
    These sound great. My DD will eat heaps of veg anyway, but I have a fussy DS and this sounds like a great way of getting extra veg into him!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (05-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does anyone have any great dip recipes? I have been doing hommus/beetroot hommus as well as tzatziki but DD can't take hommus to kinder so I need some new ideas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I made a large batch of pikelets using wholemeal flour and added some frozen berries as they were in the pan. I froze them in sandwich bags in batches of 3 and pop one in my daughters lunch box a couple of times a week.

I buy dried fruit in bulk from the markets and then make up my own little mix for lunch boxes. i use dried apple, mango, apricots, cranberries, sultanas, etc.

i keep a packet of wholemeal wraps in the cupboard (they seem to keep much better than bread) and make up ham, cheese and lettuce wraps.
    Last edited by TeBe; 05-02-2015 at 12:22.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TeBe For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (07-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    A couple of non sandwich/wrap things my kids take to school are:

Hoisin Chicken meatballs
    500g chicken mince (I mince chicken breasts or thighs myself but you can just buy it)
    1.5-2 cups home made bread crumbs
    1/2 a brown onion
    1 garlic clove crushed
    2-3 Tbsp hoisin sauce
    1 Tbsp of soy sauce or tamari
    1 tsp ginger grated
    Salt and pepper to taste.

Mix everything together and shape into small meatballs then either pan fry or bake in the oven for about 20 mins in a moderate oven (180 - 200 degrees)

Mini quiches.
    I make shortcrust pastry in the TMX but store bought short crust or puff pastry is fine - 1 sheet will make 24 quiches. I use cut out rounds with a round cookie cutter and lightly spray a 24 hole mini muffin tray then pop the pastry rounds in and put my fillings in and then add my egg mix (3 eggs, a slurp of milk, salt and pepper). Fillings I do are bacon and cheese, zucchini and corn, roast pumpkin and feta.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (05-02-2015),Blue Dragon  (05-02-2015),btmacxxx  (05-02-2015),Elijahs Mum  (05-02-2015),Full House  (05-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just made DS mini meatballs for daycare.

Sourdough bread
    2 eggs
    Some Parmesan
    Parsley
    Spinach - several big handfuls

All blitzed in food processor, mixed with beef mince, rolled into large marble sized balls and put on baking paper in oven. (Yes, they're green!)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (05-02-2015),Elijahs Mum  (05-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I plan on trying these chicken & rice patties this week
    http://planningwithkids.com/2012/10/08/rice-patties/

they sound good for lunchboxes. I'll post back when I make them if they were a hit or miss.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (08-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Loving these ideas!
    Just had a reminder that sometimes the simple stuff like comparing nutrition tables can make a significant difference. I bought a bunch of corn thins ($1 a packet at Coles this week, for anyone who's interested) and thought...hey, I wonder if some favors are healthier than others.

Soy, linseed & Chia
    - 130mg sodium
    -0.8g sugar
    -11.1g dietary fibre
    -10.8g protein

Multigrain
    -259mg sodium
    -0.7g sugar
    10g dietary fibre
    10.8g protein

Not major differences in this case, but enough that I'll now choose the soy & linseed ones. Actual nutrition content can be surprising!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (10-02-2015)