+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Actually, this has reminded me- at the end of last year my DS2 came home very upset because his scripture teacher taught him that if you don't believe in God, you will be going to hell. DS1 doesn't believe in God! So DS2 was crying because his brother will be going to hell. I was furious. I need to go and speak to the principal and change scripture!
    The same happened when my DS was in year one. He didn't actually do scripture but he still had to sit in the same classroom as the teacher had to be present because there was a volunteer with the kids.
    The topic of discussion was about non-believers going to hell so of course my DS was quite distraught when he got home.
    It says a great deal about these volunteers running these classes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    I can remember the Catholic kids being nasty to those that went to different scripture classes. I grew up in a town with a very high Italian population so majority of kids were Catholic.
    My 2 youngest do Catholic scripture. They say it's way too full on (hence the "you'll go to hell" business). Apparently the 'teachers' push everything as fact. It's funny, as I went to Catholic schools until I was in year 11, and it was never ever as full on as what my kids weekly Catholic scripture class is! It just seems that they choose the most whacked up religious nutjobs to come in and teach scripture. Can't they choose someone more normal?

As a parent I feel like I'm in a difficult position with my kids scripture classes. I want my kids to be able to choose their own beliefs. My oldest doesn't believe in God (thanks to Catholic scripture! lol) so doesn't do it. But my 2 youngest do, and they say they want to do scripture, but not this one, as it's too full on. But are any of the other ones going to be any better? Given that they're taught by random volunteers? I don't even know what other choices there are. I'll have to find out.

Sorry for the vent!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    The same happened when my DS was in year one. He didn't actually do scripture but he still had to sit in the same classroom as the teacher had to be present because there was a volunteer with the kids.
    The topic of discussion was about non-believers going to hell so of course my DS was quite distraught when he got home.
    It says a great deal about these volunteers running these classes!
    See this is what peeves me off the most. Non-scripture kids should have another CLASS to go to. They shouldn't be just pushed aside and ignored like an inconvenience.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (07-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    My 2 youngest do Catholic scripture. They say it's way too full on (hence the "you'll go to hell" business). Apparently the 'teachers' push everything as fact. It's funny, as I went to Catholic schools until I was in year 11, and it was never ever as full on as what my kids weekly Catholic scripture class is! It just seems that they choose the most whacked up religious nutjobs to come in and teach scripture. Can't they choose someone more normal?
    I don't think it was so much what they were taught in scripture, because it didn't seem like they listened, but more of a superiority that most of our friends got to be in the Catholic scripture class and we weren't. In public schools, this shouldn't even be an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If the scripture class is during school time why can't the non scripture kids just do school stuff with their teacher? What do the teachers do during these classes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    If the scripture class is during school time why can't the non scripture kids just do school stuff with their teacher? What do the teachers do during these classes?
    Marking, planning etc. They're generally in the room, but not really 'there' iykwim?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    The broadcast the other day - we heard about the SRE teacher turned chaplain, who handed out "virginity contracts" to Year 5 students, and also handed out anti gay material. [one of these 'virginity contracts' was being pushed on a female student who was a victim of sexual abuse. ]
    About a phrase, "turn or burn".

There has also been recorded complaints from QLD - where SRE volunteers taught students that 'Adam and Eve walked with dinosaurs, and they didn't get eaten because of god's powers'.
    I have no words...just...no words!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I think they can't do that because it is regarded as giving them an advantage with extra schooling time and teacher contact.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    I think they can't do that because it is regarded as giving them an advantage with extra schooling time and teacher contact.
    This is correct. Non scripture kids can't do much at all.
    I am an Ethics teacher at ds's school. He was in Catholic scripture but I changed him to non scripture as he was being given lollies and colouring in to do. He thought it boring. So he went to non scripture where he was given colouring in with no lollies. I figured i'd sign up to teach Ethics. It's an awesome program, takes about an hour of your time (classroom and prep) each week and fun. Funnily enough it took my presence in Ethics to finally have all the other scripture teachers produce WWC checks. Slack slack.
    For anyone interested: http://www.primaryethics.com.au/ourhistory.html
    Last edited by BbBbBh; 07-02-2015 at 13:16.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (07-02-2015),FiveInTheBed  (07-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    We have this in Ireland.

It doesn't change the fact that the person teaching will do it via their own beliefs (or lack thereof). Whenever we would start studying a different religion, the teacher (ALL of the 7 we went through) would relate it back to Catholicism.

So, essentially is was Religious Studies via Catholicism.
    See, i think a Study of different religions should be offered in schools. And it should be completely unbiased which I understand would make finding a teacher difficult. I think I (big head much) would be good for this. I dont have a religion that I follow but I hope there may be something. I think offering a class on all religions (preferably not satanic stuff to primary kids) could be beneficial not for a religious view but for more social acceptance or whatever im trying to say. I such at getting my point across. Does that even make sence??