+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely not. I think philosophy, sociology, feminism, gender studies and race relations should be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelove View Post
    No, religion has no place in public schools. School is a place where children go to learn factual things, and they see 'teachers' (incl volunteers) as people who convey factual information to them. Especially young children beleive what the teacher tells them as fact. A study published in the Cognitive Science journal has found that young children who are indoctrinated into a relgion have difficulty in being able to distingiugh fact from fiction - eg. if shown a talking animal, they will believe that it is real. (Article from Huff Post with link to journal study here http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5607009)

I think an ethics class is a fantastic idea! Then when children are old enough to understand that people hold different beliefs, but that doesn't make those beliefs 'fact', perhaps introduce a program where SRE instructors from all different religions come in for a few sessions to discuss the basics of their beliefs & the associated customs. This would encourage children to have an open mind, and to be understanding and respectful of different religions & beliefs, at a time when they can distingiugh a belief from a fact.
    On this point...
    If anyone listens to the talkbalk show from yesterday - that I linked above, they would hear an SRE volunteer reply, when asked if he teaches these stories as 'fact' with a confident, "ABSOLUTELY!"
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 07-02-2015 at 10:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    On this point...
    If anyone listens to the talkbalk show from yesterday - that I linked above, they would hear an SRE volunteer reply, when asked if he teaches these stories as 'fact' with a confident, "ABSOLUTELY!"
    Eugh! And that's why they shouldn't be filling children's heads with it.
    Last edited by atomicmama; 07-02-2015 at 11:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    Eugh! And that's why they shouldn't be filling children's heads with it.
    argh - quoted with a typo!!

*ahem* .."ABSOLUTELY!"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    On this point...
    Actually, this has reminded me- at the end of last year my DS2 came home very upset because his scripture teacher taught him that if you don't believe in God, you will be going to hell. DS1 doesn't believe in God! So DS2 was crying because his brother will be going to hell. I was furious. I need to go and speak to the principal and change scripture!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Actually, this has reminded me- at the end of last year my DS2 came home very upset because his scripture teacher taught him that if you don't believe in God, you will be going to hell. DS1 doesn't believe in God! So DS2 was crying because his brother will be going to hell. I was furious. I need to go and speak to the principal and change scripture!
    That's not on.

Good luck - chances are you will be directed by the principal to take it up with the SRE provider. They might even use the policy for back up.
    If you have a great principal though, hopefully they will look into it!

Keep us up to date with how you go. The more recorded instances and complaints the better, otherwise the people who do speak up just get fobbed off, and it is treated as a 'one off'.
    My children have also been told by their young peers that we are going hell, that our house is going to burn down - all because we don't believe in the god that is pushed in SRE.
    And then when my kids react to these threats, by asking things like, 'where did your god come from?' etc -- they are told by the classroom teachers to 'respect other people's beliefs'.

The broadcast the other day - we heard about the SRE teacher turned chaplain, who handed out "virginity contracts" to Year 5 students, and also handed out anti gay material. [one of these 'virginity contracts' was being pushed on a female student who was a victim of sexual abuse. ]
    About a phrase, "turn or burn".

There has also been recorded complaints from QLD - where SRE volunteers taught students that 'Adam and Eve walked with dinosaurs, and they didn't get eaten because of god's powers'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    argh - quoted with a typo!!

*ahem* .."ABSOLUTELY!"
    I just fixed it for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    I just fixed it for you
    ...I can breathe now! Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    My children have also been told by their young peers that we are going hell, that our house is going to burn down - all because we don't believe in the god that is pushed in SRE.
    And then when my kids react to these threats, by asking things like, 'where did your god come from?' etc -- they are told by the classroom teachers to 'respect other people's beliefs'.
    I can remember the Catholic kids being nasty to those that went to different scripture classes. I grew up in a town with a very high Italian population so majority of kids were Catholic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's not on.

Good luck - chances are you will be directed by the principal to take it up with the SRE provider. They might even use the policy for back up.
    If you have a great principal though, hopefully they will look into it!

Keep us up to date with how you go. The more recorded instances and complaints the better, otherwise the people who do speak up just get fobbed off, and it is treated as a 'one off'.

The broadcast the other day - we heard about the SRE teacher turned chaplain, who handed out "virginity contracts" to Year 5 students, and also handed out anti gay material. [one of these 'virginity contracts' was being pushed on a female student who was a victim of sexual abuse. ]
    About a phrase, "turn or burn".

There has also been recorded complaints from QLD - where SRE volunteers taught students that 'Adam and Eve walked with dinosaurs, and they didn't get eaten because of god's powers'.
    No such luck on the great principle- he's as lovely as pie, but when it comes to fixing issues or suggesting new ideas, it's like talking to a brick wall. I'll let you know though how I go!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (07-02-2015)