+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No, science belongs in school!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

littlelove  (07-02-2015),NoteToSelf  (06-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Radio National - Talk back (your chance to call in if you want to) on NOW 9:00am [I'm in NSW]
    Listen to the volunteers and parents

EDIT to add online catch of broadcast

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/...ssroom/6073526
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 06-02-2015 at 18:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did not listen to the audio but I read the text.

No, I don't think religion has any place in public school, I won't be consenting for my kids to attend scripture or to have any contact with chaplains.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    Actually, those teaching scripture don't. The teacher is not supposed to leave the classroom as the scripture teacher has not had a check. I looked in to this when my oldest started school and I wanted her out of the classroom. The principal told me the teacher isn't allowed to leave the classroom which can make it difficult. I came home and had a quick look and discovered that anybody can walk in off the street and say they want to teach scripture at a school and be allocated a class to teach.

As for the op - no I don't think religion belongs in public schools.
    Not sure where you are, but in SA all volunteers, employees etc need to have police clearance before they can be on site (other than for collecting kids from school)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, the Police Check is good in theory but as someone who resides in SA, I didn't get one and had access to children as a volunteer. There are plenty of gaps in the system.

I think the title of this thread is flawed. Should be more along the lines of "Should religion be taught as a subject in school?"

To which I would answer yes.

I feel it is important to be knowledgeable about this apart from the fact that studying comparative religions is very interesting. To keep my children in the dark about what is a very fundamental part of life would be a disservice to them.

I learned about many religions in primary school including how to recognise a cult, how to protect oneself from nutters and how to discern which is right and not right for you. Really interesting stuff. We also visited various sites such as churches of various denominations, attended a Hindu celebration, talked with people of varying faiths etc. Again, all important information which I have found has stood me in good stead in life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In terms of unqualified chaplains though, no way will my kids get access to them. I believe the government's chaplaincy programme is dangerous and should be immediately eradicated.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Tickle For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (07-02-2015),Full House  (07-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I try to keep scrolling when a thread like this is started.

Ill keep it short and simple, no. If i wanted my child to do religious education id send them to a private school. My son won't be participating in RE.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have not read replys because I'm sure someone would have said this but...
    I think re is the parents job.
    If your wanting your child to learn ANY or all religious beliefs it should be done at home and at church. Not in school where there are so many differing religions to cover and they only teach one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, religion has no place in public schools. School is a place where children go to learn factual things, and they see 'teachers' (incl volunteers) as people who convey factual information to them. Especially young children beleive what the teacher tells them as fact. A study published in the Cognitive Science journal has found that young children who are indoctrinated into a relgion have difficulty in being able to distingiugh fact from fiction - eg. if shown a talking animal, they will believe that it is real. (Article from Huff Post with link to journal study here http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5607009)

I think an ethics class is a fantastic idea! Then when children are old enough to understand that people hold different beliefs, but that doesn't make those beliefs 'fact', perhaps introduce a program where SRE instructors from all different religions come in for a few sessions to discuss the basics of their beliefs & the associated customs. This would encourage children to have an open mind, and to be understanding and respectful of different religions & beliefs, at a time when they can distingiugh a belief from a fact.
    Last edited by littlelove; 07-02-2015 at 07:51.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to littlelove For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (07-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think religious studies should be an elective in high school, but I don't think it has a place beyond that.

If you want your child/ren to learn about your beliefs, or others too, that should be in your own time or at a specific school.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast