+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    I don't want to say that I think God should be in every classroom, but I would really see value in all the teachers and principals taking on a serious attitude towards respect, honesty, and self control.
    Some schools are running ethics classes where these types of concepts are discussed. I would not have an issue with my kids attending something like this, in fact I would welcome it. But not under the umbrella of religion. People can still have these values without being religious (and I know you weren't saying that). You don't need to believe in a god to be a good person.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (05-02-2015),MsViking  (06-02-2015),SuperGranny  (05-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Some schools are running ethics classes where these types of concepts are discussed. I would not have an issue with my kids attending something like this, in fact I would welcome it. But not under the umbrella of religion. People can still have these values without being religious (and I know you weren't saying that). You don't need to believe in a god to be a good person.
    I was coming back to say that too Sometimes I feel like I'm just following you around and thanking you lol You always say these things better than I can

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

delirium  (05-02-2015),RaraMum  (07-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bump for the afternoon - again - a really interesting listen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember our scripture teacher in year 5 giving us rocks and telling us to suck them so we could taste the "honey in the rock".

That was memorable lol

As for the OP, no i dont believe it should be taught in schools.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (05-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    I remember our scripture teacher in year 5 giving us rocks and telling us to suck them so we could taste the "honey in the rock".

That was memorable lol
    What the actual......

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (05-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
    What the actual......
    Yep, creepy much. I can still vividly remember how weirded out everyone was, and the exact size, shape and colour of my rock! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a practicing christian, i do not believe that one religion should be taught in public school. This is one of the reasons i am sending my kids to a christian school. I do believe that i should have the right to send my kids to a christian school.

I think public schools should teach a 'world religions' class. Teach about all religions and beliefs, but most of all, tolerance and acceptance for the beliefs od others. I am tired of hearing that all muslims are terrorists. I as a christian have been told that i am stupid for my beliefs, religion is the cause of all war and hate in the world, only people of low intelligence would believe in god, my beliefs are fairytales and absolute bullsh+t... i could go on but you get the idea. I would love for the future generation to be able to speak about religion respectfully, without putting others down. It would be great if the christian kid isnt bullied at school. I myself have friends that are christian,catholic, muslim, mormon, buddhist and athiest. I love the diversity and what i can learn from each one, and i completely respect their different beliefs. This is what i want kids to learn in public school - and scripture class as it currently operates doesnt teach any tolerance or respect.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-02-2015),beebs  (05-02-2015),Blinky76  (06-02-2015),Fi2209  (07-02-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (05-02-2015),Rutabaga  (05-02-2015),Tamtam  (05-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I don't think any religion should be taught at all. I find it infuriating that religion is pushed onto our children. My kids have a morning prayer at their public school. Why? It's so unnecessary and offensive but yet legislation dictates that this is acceptable.
    I'm much rather see ethics taught across the board. It's a far more inclusive, applicable and relevant option.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (05-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a Brit who did "religious studies" at school. I find the Australian system so very strange. I learnt about all religions, visited mosques and synagogues as well as churches of many denominations. It taught me about different values and belief systems. I found it very interesting as it was also a bit of history.

Why this approach is not taught here I don't know. We were never preached to and we were taught by someone who was a full time teacher who had studied all religions (well most).

Other than in this factual teaching I do not believe any kind of religious "education" should be in schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think religious education in public schools is unnecessary. If you want your child indoctrinated, do it in your own time.
    However, I wouldn't have as much of an issue with it if- 1) if it was an *actual* choice ie, not presumed that your child does scripture, not have difficulty getting the school to accept that your child no longer wants to do scripture (this happened with DS1), and that if your child doesn't do scripture, they have an actual non-scripture class to attend that isn't just colouring-in; and 2) if scripture was taught by actual teachers, not just random religious nuts.

It would be so much better IMO to have a religion class that taught about all different religions.