+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 66
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,845
    Thanks
    1,822
    Thanked
    1,423
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think so, no.

    I assume you mean the Christian God? And that is where the problem lies- why that God?

    I don't want to get into a debate about beliefs. But I'm sure there is more than one religion in each school. So why should one (even if it is the majority) take precedence.

    No, religion, faith and belief, is a very personal private thing.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,845
    Thanks
    1,822
    Thanked
    1,423
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
    IMO yes, BUT I think schools should cover a variety of different religions and not soley focus on one.
    We have this in Ireland.

    It doesn't change the fact that the person teaching will do it via their own beliefs (or lack thereof). Whenever we would start studying a different religion, the teacher (ALL of the 7 we went through) would relate it back to Catholicism.

    So, essentially is was Religious Studies via Catholicism.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Launceston
    Posts
    13,466
    Thanks
    732
    Thanked
    2,355
    Reviews
    35
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No I don't believe so personally. I think learning about all religions on an educational level can be very useful and help children understand the beliefs and practices of others. I also am strongly against scripture lessons.

    I think it's completely different if you enroll your child in a religion based school! I'm talking about public school here.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

    MsViking  (06-02-2015)

  5. #14
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,673
    Thanks
    1,006
    Thanked
    2,414
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    I haven't listened to the broadcast and I'm not going into a BH Land discussion about this subject, but in regards to something a pp mentioned about the WWC Check clearance - ALL people who have contact with children/students are required to have this. It is the school's responsibility and duty of care not to let anyone work with children if they do not have it. It doesn't matter who they are or what they are doing.

    I went to a new workplace the other day and that was the FIRST thing they asked for.

    Even for parents running sports practice for weekend sports must have it.

    Actually, those teaching scripture don't. The teacher is not supposed to leave the classroom as the scripture teacher has not had a check. I looked in to this when my oldest started school and I wanted her out of the classroom. The principal told me the teacher isn't allowed to leave the classroom which can make it difficult. I came home and had a quick look and discovered that anybody can walk in off the street and say they want to teach scripture at a school and be allocated a class to teach.



    As for the op - no I don't think religion belongs in public schools.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

    Amiedoll  (05-02-2015)

  7. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mackay
    Posts
    6,275
    Thanks
    809
    Thanked
    2,399
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    We have this in Ireland.

    It doesn't change the fact that the person teaching will do it via their own beliefs (or lack thereof). Whenever we would start studying a different religion, the teacher (ALL of the 7 we went through) would relate it back to Catholicism.

    So, essentially is was Religious Studies via Catholicism.
    Thats a valid point.

  8. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4,308
    Thanks
    3,424
    Thanked
    1,831
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    Actually, those teaching scripture don't. The teacher is not supposed to leave the classroom as the scripture teacher has not had a check. I looked in to this when my oldest started school and I wanted her out of the classroom. The principal told me the teacher isn't allowed to leave the classroom which can make it difficult. I came home and had a quick look and discovered that anybody can walk in off the street and say they want to teach scripture at a school and be allocated a class to teach.



    As for the op - no I don't think religion belongs in public schools.
    This is a valid point to bring to your prinicipal's agenda. ALL people need to have this - doesn't matter what it is for. I know of churches that make sure all of their staff/parents/helpers who work with the children have this clearance. It's not that hard to do.

    If your principal doesn't think it is important - bring it to the DEC's attention.

  9. #17
    Busy-Bee's Avatar
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    11,185
    Thanks
    3,665
    Thanked
    4,704
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Which god(s) are we talking about? Krishna? Thor? Aphrodite? Apollo? Ganesha? There's rather a lot of them (I think it's in the thousands).

    No surprises that my answer is a firm No.

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    I haven't listened to the broadcast and I'm not going into a BH Land discussion about this subject, but in regards to something a pp mentioned about the WWC Check clearance - ALL people who have contact with children/students are required to have this. It is the school's responsibility and duty of care not to let anyone work with children if they do not have it. It doesn't matter who they are or what they are doing.

    I went to a new workplace the other day and that was the FIRST thing they asked for.

    Even for parents running sports practice for weekend sports must have it.
    I have been a parent helper for swimming for 2 terms and the subject has not been raised. The teacher is always present though so I'm guessing this is why.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

    MsViking  (06-02-2015)

  11. #18
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,673
    Thanks
    1,006
    Thanked
    2,414
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    This is a valid point to bring to your prinicipal's agenda. ALL people need to have this - doesn't matter what it is for. I know of churches that make sure all of their staff/parents/helpers who work with the children have this clearance. It's not that hard to do.

    If your principal doesn't think it is important - bring it to the DEC's attention.
    I've just had a quick look...and it looks like things changed over the last few years when I looked in to it. It wasn't an individual school thing, it used to be acceptable for a volunteer to teach SRE without any checks. I'm glad this has changed and WWC check is now a requirement.

    And I volunteer at my kids school all the time and have never been asked about a WWC. But it's okay as I am always with a teacher.

  12. #19
    SuperGranny's Avatar
    SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    sunshine coast qld
    Posts
    6,162
    Thanks
    4,572
    Thanked
    2,752
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't want to say that I think God should be in every classroom, but I would really see value in all the teachers and principals taking on a serious attitude towards respect, honesty, and self control. I have seen far too many children with such attitudes, ' I own the world and you can just eat my shorts" like bart simpson. a little bit of love and respect would go a long way with some people, and therefore their children also lack this. im sorry but I cant listen to the audio, but I did read the script. marie.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

    MsViking  (06-02-2015)

  14. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    444
    Thanks
    322
    Thanked
    247
    Reviews
    0
    I do not practise any sort of religion (even though I was raised catholic) and have no intention of raising my children as a certain religion. However, I think religion has its place in school. I think it should be a choice for parents - if they do not wish their child to participate then there should be alternate learning for them. Even though I am not a practising catholic, I went to a public school where we had religion every Friday and it was helpful to me to learn about religion and decide for myself that it is not for me. I don't believe in them preaching their ways, however to learn the background religious stories I think is quite educational and creates understanding about religion.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kellbell85 For This Useful Post:

    A-Squared  (05-02-2015)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Mount Annan Public school or Currans Hill Public School
    By RuffledPansy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-06-2014, 08:39
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 26-05-2014, 17:09
  3. Does your school have a school nurse?
    By CleverClogs in forum General Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 27-02-2014, 11:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Bamboo Lulu
Unique, non-toxic wooden eco toys for babies. Water-based paints, saliva-resistant & baby safe. Super soft, prints & basics for baby, made from bamboo & organic cotton. Hypoallergenic - great for eczema relief. FREE gift with purchase. Code BUBHUB
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
KindyROO
KindyROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. Classes are available at three Brisbane and two Gold Coast locations. Enrol today & help your child to reach their full potential. Visit the website to find out more.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!