+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Nocturnal panic attacks

I have just had a panic attack in my sleep that woke me up and scared the cr*p out of me. I haven't had a normal panic attack in over 18 months so this has thrown me. Has anyone else had a nocturnal one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep i get them a fair bit. Its terrifying. Mine seem to occur early morning and it pretty much sets off panic attacks for the rest of the day.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (04-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
    Yep i get them a fair bit. Its terrifying. Mine seem to occur early morning and it pretty much sets off panic attacks for the rest of the day.
    I can see why it would setoff other attacks. I feel terrible. I fell asleep whist settling my son and woke to that. Awful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    I can see why it would setoff other attacks. I feel terrible. I fell asleep whist settling my son and woke to that. Awful.
    Hugs xo is this the first time its happened? Sometimes i find sitting in a warm shower with my head on my knees and focusing on my breathing helps calm me enough to be able to somewhat function afterwards. Hope you are ok xoxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
    Hugs xo is this the first time its happened? Sometimes i find sitting in a warm shower with my head on my knees and focusing on my breathing helps calm me enough to be able to somewhat function afterwards. Hope you are ok xoxo
    Yep first time. Also as I haven't had a normal panic attack in ages it's totally thrown me. Thanks for the kindness. I'm off to the shower xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I get these sometimes. It seems to happen more frequently when I'm really tired or a lot is going on.
    My first instinct is to try and go back to sleep straight away, but I find that that makes me shakier and panicky the next day.
    If I wake up during one, I use my normal breathe, centre myself, calm down stuff. Then usually a hot shower as @LilMiss said.
    It's terrifying, especially for those few seconds when you have no idea what's happening.
    Having a bedtime routine of sorts has helped - I have a hot shower before I go to bed and just breathe and concentrate on thinking that I will sleep well tonight.

Big hugs, it's awful x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I have them while pregnant and straight after having the baby (three kids and it happened each time). I've had regular day time panic attacks also

Because it's the middle of the night and I'm with the baby, I will focus on something real - like I'll look at the moon outside or the street light. I didn't realise at the time but it's a 'mindfulness' technique where you focus in on your surroundings and get your mind off the panic

I do get myself back to sleep but only after really taking note of reality. The attack makes me feel like I need to get out of the house, go running anywhere, that I'm not supposed to be in that house or bed or family. Very weird

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never woken to one but find when I have one it is always in the evening. It usually lasts for hours and I won't sleep because of it. They suck