+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Night waking @ 17 months

Does it ever end? My 17 month is such a happy little boy, he eats well, was breastfed until 16 months, social and friendly, I shouldn't complain but he has NEVER been a great sleeper and I'm starting to despair. We went to sleep school at 10 weeks and he started sleeping thru the night (which of course didn't last and shouldn't have at that age) and I understand he will go through phases of development and upheaval but it feels like we've never had him sleep through (7pm - 6/7am) consistently for more than a couple of nights at a time. Maybe once or twice we've had a week or two of consistent sleep. If you'd have told me a year ago we would still be having 2-3 wakings every night at this age I would have been horrified. To add to things, I'm 3 months pregnant and contending with exhaustion and morning sickness. He naps well during the day and always goes into bed awake and puts himself to sleep, but I just hate the night wakings and crying which often take up to an hour to get him to go back to sleep. Does it ever end or should I give up hope now?
    Last edited by bobanna; 05-02-2015 at 07:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    It does end, sometimes they just do it, other times it takes sleep training. You said he sleeps well in the day. How many sleeps, at what times and for how long?

Perhaps he's sleeping too much in the day or isn't awake long enough in between his final nap and bed time.

What do you do to get him back to sleep when he wakes in the night?

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    If it makes you feel better my dd will be 18 months on Sunday and she wakes absolute minimum 4 times a night. If I am being realistic it's more like 10 on average.

My twins were the same until over 20 months. I weaned them around that time and it took another month, maybe two before they started to sleep through.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. Your ds is now coming up to an age where he can understand when you tell him to go back to sleep and to stay in bed until the sun comes up. He just needs to learn and come to terms with the fact that nothing exciting happens when he wakes overnight.

How many times does he wake?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS who has just turned 2 likes to wake between 3 and 5 times a night. Theres times he wakes roughly at about 3am and just wants to get up for the day, he's ready to play. Mind you he does have some health things going on which could contribute. He only has one nap during the day which goes about an hour too. Also I can't wean him off night bottles and he still has a few of a day time too.

Both my DD'S who are 6 and 4 were pretty crappy sleepers also. My 4 yr old still wakes once in the night for cuddles or just cranky.

I hope there is a light. I can't quite see it right now but I'm sure it'll come to an end oneday righto.... lol... Good luck! At least yoy aren't alone, even though I don't have answers....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine were both over two before they 'slept through' without some sort of waking..
    Around your DS's age, there were the beginnings of 2yo teething which added to the mix as well.. :/
    Sending sleepy vibes to your house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

I may be shot for this but unless there are medical issues a 17 month old bub waking multiple times per night is mostly avoidable. Happy to brainstorm ideas and solutions if you want, but will need details on bubs routine (wake time day naps etc), bedding/room temp, bedtime routine, solids and milk intake, details on how bub falls to sleep including sleep aids, what happens when bub wakes during the night etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. He has a pretty solid routine. Wakes around 7:15am and has breakfast. Lunch around 11 and down for nap by midday. Usually it's a 2 hour sleep. He goes into bed awake and happily puts himself to sleep. Occasionally it will be a 2.5-3 hr sleep or a 1 hr sleep in which case he will be crabby / tired by around 5pm. He has a snack on waking 2pm ish) and a big dinner around 5. We start bedtime routine about 6 which is bath and pjs with lights dimmed, small massage and coconut oil, he has the same CD of lullabies played during dressing etc since he was a baby. Then we sit on the rocking chair and have a story (he chooses one). Then we turn off lights and have a cuddle with his snuggly (comforter toy) on the rocking chair and I sing him Twinkle Twinkle. He goes into bed awake with his snuggly and I leave and shut the door. He has double blinds so his room is quite dark. 95% of the time he happily goes straight to sleep when put in his cot. Usually his wakeful times are around 9:30 - 10:30pm and 4am. His room never gets below 19 degrees. He sucks his thumb to go to sleep so it's not a dummy issue. All of the above routine has been the same since he was 12 weeks old. The only change being when we dropped the breastfeed before bed a month ago which he couldn't have cared less about. When he wakes at night and cries, we go into his room and give him a cuddle on the rocking chair until he's calm and then he gets put back into bed awake. Sometimes he'll go to sleep, sometimes he will start crying 5-10 mins later. So sometimes we have to go in 3-4 times to settle him before he actually goes back to sleep. Ps I'm not a big fan of leaving him to cry. Sorry for the huge post lol x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    At 17 months, babies are going through their last leap according to wonder weeks, which can mean more night wakings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

My first thought: is your tot getting enough protein (meat/lentils etc) during the day? (Which helps keep bub fuller for longer)

A second thought: is bub cold? What is the temp in bubs room through the night and what bedding does bub have?

Third thought and main guess: bedtime routine is perhaps too relaxing (I know sounds weird). perhaps bub has become reliant on the cuddles/session in the rocking chair before sleep to actually fall asleep (negative sleep aid). In which case when bub stirs between cycles through the night bub wakes and think "what the heck, where did my cuddles go?"
    - It really depends on how long you do this for and 'how' awake bub is when you leave.
    - if this is a problem I would change up the bed routine a bit . Read a book in bed, quick cuddle and kiss and then leave bub to fully self settle. It may take up to a week for a new routine to gel with bub.
    - at the same time wean bub off the attention you give at night when he wakes. Try not going in at all - sometimes bubs are good at putting themselves back to sleep. If you do go in No lights, no eye contact, no talking. A quick shush/pat - be careful to just calm bub not have bub fall asleep while you shush/pat. If you make a song and dance of things then bub will continue to wake for the attention
    Last edited by VicPark; 05-02-2015 at 04:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. Today is the last day of the final leap (whew!!!) so I am hoping we can rule that out going forward. He has had a little trouble with his pre-molars but they are all fully through now. In the past teething has never bothered him until now. VicPark he is a big eater and total carnivore so I dont think hunger is the issue. He is always fully awake when he goes into his bed and this is something I have been very careful of ever since he was a little baby since I originally got stuck in an awful habit of rocking to sleep. We dont go in at every little moan - often he will wake and moan for a bit and then go back to sleep - so I wait till he is fully crying before I go in. His thermostat is on 19 so it doesnt get cold in his room and he sleeps in a long sleeve vest with long sleeve pjs over the top and a sleeping bag. Blankets are a waste of time as he moves about a lot in his sleep. Last night he woke at 10:30 and instead of all the cuddles I sat beside him and just let him stand in his cot and cry (over an hour) until he gave up and lay down and went to sleep (midnight). I left his room while he was calm and quiet but before he went to sleep. My husband says to just leave him to cry alone but it feels wrong and heartless - he is crying for a reason even if that reason is just that he wants a cuddle / attention. Perhaps I will try with just sitting by his cot for a few nights and not picking him up to see if he starts to get the idea.