+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Feel like I'm losing supply

I've always had oversupply issues so I am very surprised that I feel like my supply is dwindling. DS is 4.5 months and he is literally sucking me dry. The last couple of weeks he has spent the majority of nights feeding. I feed him so much during the day and he still wants heaps of feeds at night. He seems to be starving. I have started a little bit of apple puree today - it's sooner than I was going to but I think he must just be starving and ready to fill his tummy more? I don't know.

The last 2 days especially he has been ravenous and my boobs are literally empty. What do I do? I drink so much water. My body can't seem to keep up at the moment.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Congratulations to making 4.5 months!!
    Your DS might just be going through a growth spurt, it's quite common at that age. I would just let them feed as often as they like. Although BF works on supply-demand, if the demand ramps up then it can take some time for the supply to follow suit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Might be worth trying fenugreek and blessed thistle to boost supply too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your milk producing hormones are at their highest at night which is why he wants to feed heaps more overnight. This will increase your supply but it does take a bit of time to catch up. I would be careful giving purée this early as their tummys are not as developed to take it so may cause wind, pain etc plus he will be less hungry therefore feed less which will only decrease supply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you changed your diet? Make sure you're eating plenty of food too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree it sounds like a growth spurt. If you are having trouble with the night waking try offering more in the morning or have an afternoon nap and feed straight after.
    Good job getting this far!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went through the same sounding thing at 4 months- it was a big growth spurt! I agree with pp it does take a little bit for your supply to catch up to what your bab y is demanding, but just remember that boobs are magical so keep at it and they will end up making exactly the amount you need. My baby also needed a lot of comforting and security around this time and comfort suckling was her way of getting that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone - I fed him a half hour before and then straight after the purée and he still took a lot of milk!! Finding the starting solids thing SO confusing tbh.

I googled growth spurts and I agree it does sound like one. He's never been this hungry before though. Nothing else has changed with me or him, he's just eating loads.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Is it maybe the 4 month sleep regression and he doesn't really need the night feeds? How long does he feed for at each wake up? Is he really drinking or just snacking / comfort sucking?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Full feeds every waking the last couple of nights. Before that I could resettle sometimes without a feed, but he has been getting hungrier and hungrier. There is no snacking with this child of mine!! I tried resettling without a feed a few times, works for about half an hour, then he's wailing again for a feed.