+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gallipoli on Channel 9

I'm sure everynes watched the trailers...whill you watch all the serires??

I want to but everytime the trailers come on I just think of all the young men that went to fight and never came back...what would have gone through their minds...and every single time I start crying...dont know if I will be able to watch all the fighting part...
    My nephew is 17..I cant imagine him going to fight a war...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'll be watching, i can't wait till it starts... it'll be heart breaking, I love the history

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I'll be watching. DH gave me the Peter Fitzsimmon's book Gallipoli for Christmas. It is really interesting, but quite upsetting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Nope - As much as I would like to I find it too hard to watch any war movies , it makes me sad, my dad was conscripted to Vietnam at 21 and he experienced things no one at that age should ( and is still suffering nearly 45 years later ) plus I bawled through the first Gallipoli movie as it just is too sad to realise all those young men were pretty much given a death sentence

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (03-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Elijahs Mum ... thats how I feel! that they went to fight for king and country but so much else(political ) went on without regards to those young mens lives!!! just ...the emoitons that I imagine that they and their families would have experinced is so painful... I'm sorry to hear you father went through such a hard time... I have met lots of retunred soldiers from afganistan and iraq (as part of my work) and the number of them that are now going through depression/PTSD/anxiety from what they had expereinced is heart breaking..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to samantha81 For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (03-02-2015)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    No, the history is fascinating but just too distressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Nope - As much as I would like to I find it too hard to watch any war movies , it makes me sad, my dad was conscripted to Vietnam at 21 and he experienced things no one at that age should ( and is still suffering nearly 45 years later ) plus I bawled through the first Gallipoli movie as it just is too sad to realise all those young men were pretty much given a death sentence
    My Mum was a child in London during WW2 and a war evacuee 4 times. (Authorities moved all the children from London and greater London to country areas so they would be safer - they lived in other people's houses for months at a time.) She tells me stories of things like her older brothers wanting to go outside to watch planes Nazi German and English planes dogfight. Her mother saw people machine gunned in the street from Nazi German planes. During outside prayers at Brownies there was the beginning of an air raid and the group leader had to continue the prayers but with one eye watching the sky. The sounds that the different bombs made as they fell through the sky and what the most scariest ones were (doodlebugs I think). She still has nightmares at 83. I suggested a book I was going to buy for her for Christmas about little known heroines of WW2 but she said she couldn't read it, too close to home. She would happily read the same WW1 book but not the WW2 book.

Wars mess people up good and proper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Opening scene done, not sure if I can watch anymore. Might just stick with the book at least it isn't so graphic in my mind.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I was watching I but have just gone to bed- only because it was getting too late for me.
    It was distressing but I expected that.
    I love history, Australian history... And I know the story of Gallipoli is a big part of it, so I want/ need to know more about it (I know the general story but want to fill in gaps) - I am hoping an encore will screen later this week

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

DizzyDaisy  (09-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have recorded it and am looking forward to watching it yet I'm not sure if I want to iykwim? I went to the ANZAC service in Gallipoli in 2010 which was a MASSIVE eye opener for me!