+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Comparing council run kinder to daycare kinder

In Victoria does anyone know what the 4yr program is roughly like?
    My Ds went to a day care vic approved kinder and although the teacher was excellent and did group time, etc, the kids played A LOT outside and now Ds1 is finding it hard to be in the prep classroom for so long.
    With Ds2 I'm wondering if next year he should do a council run kinder instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I can't speak for Vic but here in NSW it's pre school. I sent both mine to the council run pre school rather than the School Program daycare. For a start, at pre school they are qualified Early Childhood Teachers. It's much more structured like school with lunch breaks, sitting on the mat, learning to get their lunch from their bags for recess. They also teach the basics of writing their name, gross and fine motor skils etc. This isn't bagging daycare, but I believe the council pre school is of a much higher caliber and quality.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (03-02-2015)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    ^^^ agreed

Cant recommend community based preschool enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Council run kinder is usually play based and if the weather is good then it's usually outside.
    Personally play based kinder is best for the kids and to be honest, I think that school should incorporate outside learning a lot more. Your child will get used to being inside and I wouldn't recommend changing your kinder based on this. If anything have some extra outside time when you're home as kids thrive with playing and learning outside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Its interesting you have said this. My cousin's 2 girls both went to a kinder program (in Victoria) within the daycare centre they had been going to for a number of years. Both kids struggled when it came to school with simple things like following instructions, being able to eat lunch with minimal supervision and the lack of unstructured play time.

A mum at school last year felt that her son was unprepared for school after doing kinder at daycare. It was only after he started prep that she realised that his daycare had a kinder teacher but didn't follow a structured kinder program.

And finally, another friend felt that her child didn't get as much out of kinder through day care as kids at a council run kinder did.

All anecdotal, and I'm sure there will be other people who have kids at kinder through daycare who will no doubt have a different perspective.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ds1 does kindy at both a council run kindy and long day care. We are in vic and both have qualified kindy teachers but as far as kindy goes I prefer the council one.
    Our day care kindy has a lot more kids (28) for the 2 carers to look after (kindy has 9) and because of the big range of ages in the room it is difficult for them to do a lot of traditional kindy activities.
    At our kindy there is a lot more learning based play that I see, and it is certainly easier for them to continue an activity for multiple days.

I also find it to be a good lead in to school because ds catches the bus there and back and his peer group is the same one they have at school next year.