+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Type 1 Diabetes

Hey all,
    I have type 1 diabetes, my blood sugar levels are well controlled and I am happy to know if my sugar levels are well controlled I should not expect complications during my pregnancy. However my GP has mentioned I will need to use the public system to deliver as I am on an insulin pump. I have full private health insurance and had planned to deliver privately. Does anyone know why I would/should go public? Has anyone delivered whilst using an insulin pump? I would love to hear from Type 1 women who have given birth about what to expect! Thanks all

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't even think to ask her at the time as I am seeing an ob on Monday and I am going to ask him. But now I cant seem to get it out of my head!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've delivered twice since being on my pump and will this time around aswell. Does the private hospital near you not take high risk? Doesn't matter how well controlled you are still high risk

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Type 1 Diabetes

Although I'd be going off what my endo n ob said not the gp

Ps congrats! Woo👶
    Last edited by Pmakes3; 03-02-2015 at 11:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The private hospital has a special care nursery. I cant see any reason why I can not deliver there. I will definitely find out on Monday, my ob delivers at that hospital only, and he deals with high risk pregs so I am sure the GP was just confused.

How often did you test and dose during labour and delivery? And were you on a dextrose drip or how did you treat hypos?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinky407 View Post
    The private hospital has a special care nursery. I cant see any reason why I can not deliver there. I will definitely find out on Monday, my ob delivers at that hospital only, and he deals with high risk pregs so I am sure the GP was just confused.

How often did you test and dose during labour and delivery? And were you on a dextrose drip or how did you treat hypos?
    Yeah I'd check it sounds like a mix up?! Although when you could deliver at the private hos here the public was still a better option due to having peads ect um first delivery was induced (38 weeks is about cut off for type 1) and I just carried on as normal tested as needed n didn't really eat as I spewed all threw haha. Second was a Caesar so when onto an insulin infusion they were happy either way but it just made life easier have you been on your pump long? Got a good handle on it and how to manage your rates ect? I think pumps make like easier haha but I'm on one so would think that! I love doing cgm every few weeks as well but that really is a financial thing I'd do it 24/7 but just can't afford it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, i have a few questions to ask on Monday then! I didn't even know about being induced at 38 weeks! I have only been on pump for 6 months, so I would say I still have a fair bit to learn. Im just going to keep an open mind and see what they say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love cgm too, but even stretching one for a couple of weeks its still so expensive! I have heard some insurers cover them during pregnancy, but I havent looked into it and wouldnt be surprised if that was overseas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, i hadnt heard about the increased risk of still birth, i assumed it was something to do with baby size, but i am having trouble finding good quality info. Most of the info online is aimed at gestationals.
    My dietician did mention expressing and freezing breast milk, and the hospital has a breast feeding consultant so hopefully find out more from them. Definitely a lack of info out there though.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pinky407 For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (04-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Congrats on your pregnancy
    A friend of mine went private and she was on a pump. She ended up having a c/s for other reasons but I have heard they will induce early if you have type 1. If they have the facilities to care for bub (obviously he/she will need regular monitoring after birth to) I can't see why you couldn't go private.

I know you mentioned about private health funds covering CGM's my daughter is also a type 1 and our health fund covers $500 every 2 years for her CGM. It's covered under glucose monitors.