+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Baby & toddler in same room/bed?

Does anyone have their baby (6 months) and toddler (2.5yrs) sleeping or napping in the same room or even the same bed? Any tips to share?

We all sleep in ONE bedroom; it has a single bed, queen bed, and side-car cot. Up until this week both kids have slept OK together in the same room. At night it's too dark to go wandering and they both go to sleep or stay put until they do.

It's midday nap-time that is the issue now. Obviously bub still needs naps but our toddler is starting to drop his naps, so one day he'll nap the next day he mucks about. I still insist that he stays in the room and in bed for quiet-time though because I *need* the break. He has books and some soft toys. But he's started climbing into bub's side-car cot. She's much more entertaining than books and toys.

I worry about her safety with him in her bed - do I need to or is it just mummy paranoia?
    He's keeping her awake by getting into her bed - do I just keep on putting him back? I think I've gone in five times in the past half hour.

Just wondering if anyone else is in this kind of situation? What did/do you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm pretty sure it's not recommended to allows toddlers to co sleep with babies alone. Safe co sleeping guidelines always say to have an adult in between a baby and a toddler. I wouldn't be letting them "nap" together- you'd never forgive yourself if the toddler hurt the bub. Can you put bub in a pram or sling for a nap? Or a portacot in another room?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

debsch  (02-02-2015),LoveLivesHere  (02-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Whoa, no way would I leave a toddler in a room, alone, with a baby- sleeping or otherwise- if I knew they (toddler) would wake.

Sharing a room, is fine. But if you know the toddler is 'at' the baby, it is not safe.

I know you say you need the break, but you could implement quiet time in another room too. Set up a corner in the lounge.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

debsch  (02-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Does he watch a full movie? Our 'quiet time' used to be a movie on the lounge, but my kids would sit/lie through an entire movie, so it worked well for us.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

debsch  (02-02-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (02-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Does he watch a full movie? Our 'quiet time' used to be a movie on the lounge, but my kids would sit/lie through an entire movie, so it worked well for us.
    No, the most he'll sit through is a half hour of playschool. Might keep that in mind for when they're both older though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is 2.5years and no way would I leave him alone in a room with a little baby! They are not capable of realising the consequences of their actions, they could easily throw heavy things in the cot, pick the baby up and hurt it. Obviously not intentionally but still. I agree with others that it sounds like you need to find another room for you toddler to spend quiet time, maybe set up a movie in another room?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My eldest was just 3 when sibling was born, they share the same bedroom.
    No problems til they're now older and play if I don't put them to bed at separate times lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would move his quiet time to a fold out lounge elsewhere in the house tbh, once they stop napping it's all over

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would never leave a toddler alone with a baby. If you still want him to have quiet time I'm sure you could do it in another room.