+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a friend who would leave a napping toddler while she did school pick up sometimes. Only a 2 min drive down the road but what if:
    The toddler woke and wondered off
    She was in a car accident
    So many what ifs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow that poor bubba! Not something I could ever do. If that was my friend and I were to see it happen again I would call the police. Say you are a neighbour and can hear a child crying but there's no adult there or something....she needs to realise how dangerous it is. Geez what if one of her neighbours sees her leave without bub and decides to go in and take it....so many scary what ifs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Being that I don't have kids I try very hard not to judge mothers because I just don't know what it is like and how hard it is. Women can tell me but I don't have any experience to help form an opinion of my own. Not that I feel judging is ok but hopefully you see my point. That being said in no way is this OK. I know of a lady who had been so over whelmed before and put bubs in the crib and sat in the car for a short break because she felt dangerously close to breaking. But I can't fathom actually leaving and going to the shop. And she seems so casual like oh yeah I pop out if I need to while she sleeps. I tense up just imagining all the what ifs!

I am sorry you are burdened with the dilemma of what to say to your friend and if you should alert the authorities it isn't an easy situation for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Leaving sleeping baby at home..alone?!

I definitely wouldn't do that no matter how well my children slept, definitely the fear of something happening to me or my child waking and being frightened etc. I used to be a single mum and I was terrified something would happen to me (slip and knock myself out, heart attack etc) and my dd would be stuck screaming in her cot because no one would know, so I could never imagine leaving them on purpose! Hopefully it is a one off, good on you for mentioning Your concerns to her, she may not have known just how wrong/illegal that is.
    Last edited by PipersMummy; 02-02-2015 at 15:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mezzo View Post
    She just said she thought it would be okay quickly dash to the shops & that her DD was still sleeping when she got home. She said she did feel "funny" about it afterwards, so hopefully that means it won't happen again. When I see her in person, I might mention it once more, just to make sure
    Felt funny as in your interest has made her realize it isn't something everybody does but maybe never talks about it?

Good for you for saying something, hopefully it was a once off

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a terrible idea and has its risks.
    But I wouldn't be in hysterics about it. There are so many what if's in everyday life.
    I'm glad you said something to her OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My SIL used to leave her baby sleeping when she was tiny and Skype her Mum (in another country) and have her Mum watch the baby over Skype while she went out to pay a bill or pick her son up from school or grab a carton of milk. The theory was her Mum would ring her mobile if the baby woke up or there was an emergency or something!!!!!!

To say I was knocked speechless when I heard this would be an understatement. Apparently she stopped doing it when the baby could roll around/pull herself up in the cot etc. I'm not supposed to know any of this, my Mum told me after my brother told her and he only told her in passing one day, not out of concern or anything, it just happened to come up in conversation!!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (02-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Never!! Extreme example What if there was a fire or you had a car accident and couldn't get home.
    On another note what if bub woke up and needed mum

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    My SIL used to leave her baby sleeping when she was tiny and Skype her Mum (in another country) and have her Mum watch the baby over Skype while she went out to pay a bill or pick her son up from school or grab a carton of milk. The theory was her Mum would ring her mobile if the baby woke up or there was an emergency or something!!!!!!

To say I was knocked speechless when I heard this would be an understatement. Apparently she stopped doing it when the baby could roll around/pull herself up in the cot etc. I'm not supposed to know any of this, my Mum told me after my brother told her and he only told her in passing one day, not out of concern or anything, it just happened to come up in conversation!!!!
    I guess it's better than nothing but I wouldn't do it.

Op there are many circumstances which may push this woman to do it. It certainly is not something that I would be comfortable in doing but I would probably be asking if she has enough support. Maybe she is overwhelmed and looked for a 'safe' 5 mins time out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Um, no. Just no. I think most other people here have already summed up my thoughts.