+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    ... no, not my opinion. Fact. Neglect is defined as a form of child abuse, legally, in australia. I have done training in child abuse and child protection, both at university & in my workplace. Neglect IS a form of abuse, that is a fact, not an opinion.
    But do you really think that what the friend did was abusive?? Or just a horrible, one-off, lapse in judgement ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    From Victoria's DHS website:

Neglect is the failure to provide the child with the basic necessities of life such as food, clothing, shelter, medical attention or supervision, to the extent that the child's health and development is, or is likely to be, significantly harmed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (06-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post
    From Victoria's DHS website:

Neglect is the failure to provide the child with the basic necessities of life such as food, clothing, shelter, medical attention or supervision, to the extent that the child's health and development is, or is likely to be, significantly harmed.
    It is still, technically, a form of abuse.

I wouldn't classify this actual case as abuse (mainly because having worked with social services I've learned it is standard to only apply that term to ongoing issues), but would call it neglect.
    However, another person may call it abuse, and wouldn't (again, technically) be wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am glad you were able to talk to your friend. I do agree that this is neglect, but from what I've read, it doesn't sound deliberate at all. She was obviously very shocked to realise the possible scenarios and most likely won't do it again. She's also not the first person to do this - i remember another thread on here in the last couple of years where another concerned friend mentioned the same issue with a friend leaving the baby home.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jussi For This Useful Post:

DT75  (06-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well done on saying something Mezzo. It's a hard conversation to have but you may have saved her a lot of drama further down the track.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (06-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    It is still, technically, a form of abuse.

I wouldn't classify this actual case as abuse (mainly because having worked with social services I've learned it is standard to only apply that term to ongoing issues), but would call it neglect.
    However, another person may call it abuse, and wouldn't (again, technically) be wrong.
    That's the thing though, I don't class it as abuse. Someone else may. It's not black or white and the definition is very complex as I'm sure you would agree. So then it actually does boil down to context and, to a degree, opinion.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (06-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    From a strictly legal sense, no it doesn't. Neglect has many different facets and levels; down the "lower" end of the scale (eg: momentary lapse in judgement with no harm done) you'd be hard pressed to argue that's "abuse", as opposed to much more serious, or ongoing, or deliberate actions and scenarios, where the child was actually harmed.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (06-02-2015),peanutmonkey  (06-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Leaving sleeping baby at home..alone?!

Splitting hairs. Any sane person knows she made a pretty big dumb **** decision. These things usually don't happen in isolation . It probably happened because there were other issues at play (depression etc) or because she's just a numpty who lacks good judgement.

Either way unless there is some type of professional support my guess is the one off neglect will not be a one off .....Putting it into the abuse category regardless of whether you subscribe to the hard or soft core definition.

Well done OP, you've been firm but friendly in the execution.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Splitting hairs. Any sane person knows she made a pretty big dumb **** decision. These things usually don't happen in isolation . It probably happened because there were other issues at play (depression etc) or because she's just a numpty who lacks good judgement.

Either way unless there is some type of professional support my guess is the one off neglect will not be a one off .....Putting it into the abuse category regardless of whether you subscribe to the hard or soft core definition.

Well done OP, you've been firm but friendly in the execution.
    I'm only "splitting hairs" because I was told I was wrong and my opinion didn't matter 'because law' when in fact the issue isn't as black and white as some are making out. The fact is, we just don't know if it is an isolated incident or not, and I still question whether a single isolated incident, where no harm was caused, and she quite clearly has reflected on her actions and appears to realise what she did was poor judgement, constitutes "abuse".

People are right to be shocked about this woman's senseless act of walking away and leaving her baby while she shopped, seemingly unfazed. I feel the same way and I'm so glad the OP took the time to talk to her about it. Yes it was neglectful and bad. Yes she should have known better. She was lucky nothing terrible happened while she was out. But lucky for her and her child, nothing happened. Hopefully she's learnt from the experience.

But abuse? That term brings up all sorts of horrific possibilities none of which apply here.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (06-02-2015),VicPark  (06-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post

But abuse? That term brings up all sorts of horrific possibilities none of which apply here.
    Yet. Let's revisit the situation in 5 years time.