+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    One thing that has always stuck with me from doing mandatory notification training is that you should never look at abuse/ neglect from the perspective of the intention of the adult. You should only look at the perspective of the impact on the child. It is in our nature to sympayhise with the adult, she only did it once, she was having a rough week, she had no money left for food, she just snapped, she was really stressed, etc. It means nothing when it comes to making a report. You should only consider how the abuse or neglect impacts the child.

I also hate the term 'dobbing' in relation to reports. That mentality has to change. Making a report is not dobbing, you are not trying to get someone in trouble. If that

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-02-2015),Amiedoll  (05-02-2015),amyd  (04-02-2015),CazHazKidz  (04-02-2015),DT75  (04-02-2015),Full House  (04-02-2015),HeavenBlue  (04-02-2015),Jenga  (04-02-2015),TheGooch  (04-02-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (06-02-2015),vampstorso  (04-02-2015),VicPark  (04-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    2 words Maddie. McCann!!!

Enough said!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (04-02-2015),CompareTheMeerkat  (04-02-2015),VicPark  (04-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I couldn't do it. I'd be too worried

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Perhaps. But the law doesn't.
    What's your point?

All I'm saying is that to me it's not neglect. It's extremely stupid and irresponsible, and yes, she needs to pull her head in, but that one act I struggle to see how it's neglect or abuse. There's no point telling me "that's the law"...thanks I'm aware. Laws in a few states also say age of consent is 16...doesn't mean I have to agree with it.
    Last edited by hopeful1986; 04-02-2015 at 15:46.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

DizzyDaisy  (04-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    What's your point?

All I'm saying is that to me it's not neglect. It's extremely stupid and irresponsible, and yes, she needs to pull her head in, but that one act I struggle to see how it's neglect or abuse. There's no point telling me "that's the law"...thanks I'm aware.
    My point is that it is considered neglect by law. Therefore it IS neglect.
    It may very well be a once-off but that doesn't change it.
    The problem is that it may not be a once off, and that's why she needs to be spoken to.

As for you personally not considering it as neglect, well that's your choice.
    And it is that mother's choice too.
    But it is not the child's choice- and that's the main point, the child.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (04-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    My point is that it is considered neglect by law. Therefore it IS neglect.
    It may very well be a once-off but that doesn't change it.
    The problem is that it may not be a once off, and that's why she needs to be spoken to.

As for you personally not considering it as neglect, well that's your choice.
    And it is that mother's choice too.
    But it is not the child's choice- and that's the main point, the child.
    I've literally stated what she did was irresponsible. I never once excused her actions. I personally would never leave my future child unattended and go for a drive. I also never said it isn't about the child. All I said was that I don't believe it's neglect/abuse, unless there was more to the story. I don't understand why you seem to think or at least come across like I'm making out she did nothing wrong. You're making out like there is more behind what I am trying to say than there actually is. She did a stupid thing, she needs to be called out on it, I don't see it as neglect though, end of story.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

DizzyDaisy  (04-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Just because it's a one off doesn't mean that it isn't neglect. One-offs can still cause harm to the child. The mum deserves a boot up the bum regardless of how often she's done it.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

DT75  (04-02-2015),Full House  (04-02-2015),IrishDanceMum  (04-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've literally stated what she did was irresponsible. I never once excused her actions. I personally would never leave my future child unattended and go for a drive. I also never said it isn't about the child. All I said was that I don't believe it's neglect/abuse, unless there was more to the story. I don't understand why you seem to think or at least come across like I'm making out she did nothing wrong. You're making out like there is more behind what I am trying to say than there actually is. She did a stupid thing, she needs to be called out on it, I don't see it as neglect though, end of story.
    Look, I'm really not trying to single you out or anything. But you keep saying you don't see it as neglect. That doesn't make it so.

My problem is not with you, at all. My problem is with the sense of dismissal. That because it may be a once off, it's ok to let it go. That is slightly terrifying. That's all I'm trying to say.

Sorry if it seems I am singling you out, or if I caused offence in any way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What's your point?

All I'm saying is that to me it's not neglect. It's extremely stupid and irresponsible, and yes, she needs to pull her head in, but that one act I struggle to see how it's neglect or abuse. There's no point telling me "that's the law"...thanks I'm aware. Laws in a few states also say age of consent is 16...doesn't mean I have to agree with it.
    ... but legally, it IS neglect. Its like me saying 'i drove 20k over the speed limit... and i only did it once. So to me, i dont think i was speeding.' The law is the law.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

octonaut  (04-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also struggle with the idea of 'she only did it once, so that makes it ok.' My DH only hit me once. He was stressed and he snapped. He only did it once, though, so its not really domestic violence.

(He has never actually hit me, im just using it as an example)