+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC14 View Post
    I really don't think anyone is completely dismissing the thought of reporting someone at all.
    Give the woman a chance seriously!

Say this woman had just had enough 1 particular day, put her baby down in the cot shut the door, made a coffee, locked the front door and went down the road a bit, sat there and drank her coffee and had 10mins peace? Is that worth reporting or would you pat her on the back and say you made the right choice?

Absolutely im not disagreeing with that, personally I would much prefer to see child services investigating a parent who is physically, mentally or emotionally abusing their kids than a mum who has left her baby for 10mins once.

No I wouldn't leave my baby to go to the shop however ive also been a single mum who has had no one around to help so yes it did cross my mind. As I said previously no I personally wouldn't do it.
    Several people have said that they wouldn't consider reporting it.
    That is what I am trying to change.
    Considered and dismissed it? Okay, at least you considered it.

There is a big difference between taking a few minutes out within walking distance, and driving to the shops.
    And, yes, actually I would consider reporting that, as she locked the door and left the property. I may not actually report it, but I would consider it.

The mum may genuinely believe she did nothing wrong. Or may have issues. Or may not have family support. Any of these are reason enough to consider intervention, as it will help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mezzo View Post
    I ran into a friend at the shops this morning. She has a 1 year old, but she wasn't with her. I know the child doesn't attend childcare, so I asked if her partner was home, but he wasn't. She said she was just nipping down to pick up a few things while her DD was sleeping in her cot! The shops are only about a 3-4 minute drive from where she lives, but still?!

Is this something you would do? The thought has never crossed my mind! It just doesn't feel right to me...
    No. Just No. I don't really have any other words.
    My limit is walking to the curb to check the mail/put the bin out. If I go past that, so do both of my kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Several people have said that they wouldn't consider reporting it.
    That is what I am trying to change.
    Considered and dismissed it? Okay, at least you considered it.

There is a big difference between taking a few minutes out within walking distance, and driving to the shops.
    And, yes, actually I would consider reporting that, as she locked the door and left the property. I may not actually report it, but I would consider it.

The mum may genuinely believe she did nothing wrong. Or may have issues. Or may not have family support. Any of these are reason enough to consider intervention, as it will help.
    You see, I wouldn't consider reporting a mum who has taken 10mins like I said. Who knows if she was up all night with a screaming teething baby? Who knows what her day with the baby has been like? It might just be an awful 24 hours and not an everyday occurrence so intervention isn't really needed.

Having babies is so hard and sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do to stay sane.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC14 View Post
    You see, I wouldn't consider reporting a mum who has taken 10mins like I said. Who knows if she was up all night with a screaming teething baby? Who knows what her day with the baby has been like? It might just be an awful 24 hours and not an everyday occurrence so intervention isn't really needed.

Having babies is so hard and sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do to stay sane.
    I do get what you are saying. To me, the scenario you presented was fine EXCEPT that she locked the door and walked away. If it had been someone sitting in the garden, or the wall of their house or something, yeah.
    There's taking 10 minutes, and there's taking a huge risk- the locked door was the huge risk.

Intervention may be needed if she genuinely didn't consider the risks...which you cannot know without intervention. Whether that is you, personally, talking to her. You saying to her partner that X happened, or her family, etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (04-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There was a facebook group I was in once, and one day there was a post on there from a woman who's nephew had just died in a housefire. Her sister had left him asleep at home to go to the gym.
    This poor woman needed to be there to comfort her sister who had just lost her son, whilst feeling this gut wrenching blame towards her for what she had done and she had lost her nephew because of it.
    Not. Worth. It.
    Ever.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (04-02-2015),VicPark  (04-02-2015),Wise Enough  (04-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Say this woman does this on a regular basis. Is that serious enough?

Sorry, DoCS isn't just for reporting people who are beating/starving their kids. It is for neglect and other abuse too.

Leaving a 1 year old home alone is neglect, even IF it is only once.

I used to work in social services. We would not remove a child in a case like this, but we would investigate. It is serious.

Like I said, it doesn't have to be DoCS you involve OP. Letting her family know is a good idea though as they can keep an eye out.
    We have different views on what constitutes neglect.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

DizzyDaisy  (04-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    We have different views on what constitutes neglect.
    Perhaps. But the law doesn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does anyone remember the three year old who was left home alone sleeping (I think the parent was walking their older child to school or along similar lines, the child wasn't left at home for long) and woke up and fell 7m off the balcony?
    I remember it...it was all over the news and docs got involved due to the toddler being left home alone. That is all I can think of when I read this thread.
    It's so never okay, no matter what the circumstances.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

DT75  (04-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Leaving sleeping baby at home..alone?!

My SIL's nanny left the youngest alone at home while she went and pick up the other kid from school.

The toddler was probably 3yo, awake and left alone for 20-25min.
    They live on the 15th floor.

Your post gave me shivers @Party of Three.

No need to say that the nanny got the boot. 😳

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    Does anyone remember the three year old who was left home alone sleeping (I think the parent was walking their older child to school or along similar lines, the child wasn't left at home for long) and woke up and fell 7m off the balcony?
    I remember it...it was all over the news and docs got involved due to the toddler being left home alone. That is all I can think of when I read this thread.
    It's so never okay, no matter what the circumstances.
    I don't know if I remember that particular case, but there have been so many similar ones.

A neighbour of my parents left her 1.5 year old sleeping in the house while she went next door to ask another neighbour about gardening tips. The child woke and went looking for her... she was found, by the mother, in the kitchen. She had tried to open a cupboard, fallen over and hit her head hard on the corner side of the island unit. Paramedics couldn't do anything.

Another kid on the street was found wandering on the busy main road- 4 years old I think. And was able to show a stranger where he lived. The mother had gone to the corner shop (less than a 10 minute walk). He could open the door.
    Last edited by DT75; 04-02-2015 at 13:05.