+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If it was just for bread or milk perhaps your friend should have driven to the local servo and left bub in the car while she ducked in for a couple of minutes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nawww... look at everyone go all PC for you Harvs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The shops next to where I live is over the road! Pretty sure my baby monitor could reach its that close!! I still take both of mine with me, lazy parenting!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Once when DD was about 6 months old, I got home from work and DH confessed he had done something similar. I lost. My. Shizz. We have this ongoing argument about me being "overly " protective and him not being careful enough, in all areas of our lives. Well of course he tried to dust off that argument but I pulled out the big guns by proceeding to call all of our close friends and family with my "rhetorical" scenario as is being discussed here, the overwhelming response was that you NEVER leave babies alone for a trip to the shops, awake nor asleep, no matter how inconvenient it is! He pulled his head right in after that and never did it again.

Now, I write this with some trepidation as most of you know that DH is DDs main carer and I want to assure you he's an absolutely awesome Dad and I trust him completely, but I put that terrible lapse of judgment down to a moment of new parent, irrational, sleep deprived madness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    No way would I do this. Pretty sure it's reportable too.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Nawww... look at everyone go all PC for you Harvs!
    I wasn't asking anyone to! As comforting as these responses are, it has caused me to stop and think (rare) so I'm grateful to OP for starting this thread.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (03-02-2015),peanutmonkey  (03-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was 19 I dated a guy whose sister used to put her 2 year old and 6 month old to bed and go to the PUB!! Regularly. Like twice a week regularly.
    I was horrified. I lived quite a sheltered youth so had no idea people did things like that. Thinking back I wish I had have reported her, but at the time I didn't even know that that was something I could do. Disgusting!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @Awesome Queen of Amazingtown don't worry, I probably do all sorts of stuff that would have the Bubhub masses screaming "OMGZ! CALL DOCS! NEGLECT! NEGLECT!"

But on the topic of the OP. Sure, leaving your kid home alone, sleeping, and going to the shops for a few minutes is not a great idea, rather a bit irresponsible. But is it worthy of calling child services/police/reporting it to someone? No. Absolutely not. As far as we know it's an isolated incident, and rather than jump the gun getting all report happy, I'd probably have a chat with my friend. Make sure she's doing okay, she's supported, has people to call on if she needs to. I'd let her know, just as the OP did, that leaving her child was not a great idea, and it's best not to do it again, but I'd also let her know that if she needed help, just to let me know.

I really get sick and tired of people jumping on the 'call DOCS' bandwagon for things like this. By all means, if you think there is a serious case of abuse/neglect going on, then call the appropriate authorities, but sometimes, all it takes is a friendly word.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

CMF  (03-02-2015),HearMeRoar  (03-02-2015),HollyGolightly81  (03-02-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (03-02-2015),peanutmonkey  (03-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    @Awesome Queen of Amazingtown don't worry, I probably do all sorts of stuff that would have the Bubhub masses screaming "OMGZ! CALL DOCS! NEGLECT! NEGLECT!"

But on the topic of the OP. Sure, leaving your kid home alone, sleeping, and going to the shops for a few minutes is not a great idea, rather a bit irresponsible. But is it worthy of calling child services/police/reporting it to someone? No. Absolutely not. As far as we know it's an isolated incident, and rather than jump the gun getting all report happy, I'd probably have a chat with my friend. Make sure she's doing okay, she's supported, has people to call on if she needs to. I'd let her know, just as the OP did, that leaving her child was not a great idea, and it's best not to do it again, but I'd also let her know that if she needed help, just to let me know.

I really get sick and tired of people jumping on the 'call DOCS' bandwagon for things like this. By all means, if you think there is a serious case of abuse/neglect going on, then call the appropriate authorities, but sometimes, all it takes is a friendly word.
    Thank you! I agree with this 100% but couldn't find a nice way of saying it

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (03-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post

It is a serious case of neglect.
    She left a 'sleeping' (we don't actually know that this is true) child at home alone. God knows for how long.

A person who, having the lawful care or charge of a child under 12 years, leaves the child for an unreasonable time without making reasonable provision for the supervision and care of the child during that time commits a misdemeanour. Maximum penalty three years imprisonment.
    I can't imagine leaving a sleeping 1 year old to go shopping would be seen as reasonable.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (06-02-2015)